Frequently Asked Questions
When will I receive my invitation to graduate?
- The Graduations Office will email the invitation to confer your award to your ANU student email account in late May for July conferrals, and late October for December conferrals.
- You must respond to your invitation via your ISIS account. The conferral of your award/s will not occur if you do not respond to your invitation.
- The Graduand Information Guide will be attached to your email invitation, it is important that you read it carefully.
I have not received my graduation invitation, what should I do?
- If you believe you are eligible to graduate, and you have not received an email invitation by the end of May for July conferrals, and the end of October for December conferrals, please contact your ANU College in the first instance.
- Your College will notify the Graduations Office of any necessary changes; you will receive an invitation if appropriate.
How do I respond to my invitation?
- To respond to your graduation invitation, you will need to log in to your ISIS account: NavBar - Navigator - ISIS - Graduation - Graduation Invitation.
IMPORTANT: You must respond to your invitation in order for your award/s to be conferred. ANU awards are not automatically conferred; no response to your invitation means that no action will be taken.
When will I receive the physical copy of my academic documents when graduating in absentia?
- Physical testamurs will generally be posted within 6 weeks of your conferral.
- In person collection of testamurs is currently not available.
- If you would like to purchase a physical copy of your academic transcript and Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS), please go to this page.
Can testamurs be posted internationally?
- Yes, we can post your physical testamur to an international address. There is no cost for international postage.
When will my documents be uploaded on My eQuals?
- Digital copies of your Testamur, academic transcript and Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) will be made available via My eQuals within 72 hours of your conferral. You will receive an email notification to your ANU email account when they have been uploaded.
Can I defer my graduation?
- Yes, you can defer your graduation for up to 12 months.
- To do this, you will need to respond to your graduation invitation on ISIS and choose the option "Defer your graduation".
- You will receive an invitation to graduate for a ceremony in the future [either 6 or 12 months later depending on your selection]
- Note that choosing to defer your graduation means that you will not receive your award/s and academic documents. The graduation date on your Testamur will reflect the date the award has been conferred [which will be either 6 or 12 months in the future].
What name will appear on my testamur?
- Check that your name in ISIS appears correctly. This is the name that will print on your Testamur.
- The Testamur is a legal document and as such, can only display your legal name. Testamurs cannot include nicknames, shortened or diminutive forms of your name, or initials.
- If your name is incorrectly reflected, you MUST submit a Change of Name, Title or Date of Birth form to email@example.com. This must be completed a minimum of 5 weeks in advance of your conferral
How can I check my outstanding debts to the University?
- Please check ISIS, your library and accommodation accounts to ensure no amounts are outstanding. You will not be permitted to graduate if you have any outstanding debts to the University (e.g. tuition, SAF, library fines, accommodation fees).
- All payments should be finalised well in advance of the end of semester to avoid disappointment.
When will I know if I am eligible to graduate?
- Within 72 hours of the formal release of results for the current semester, your final graduation status will be viewable in ISIS:
Navigator > ISIS > Graduation > Graduation Details
- Please refer to notification of results for more information, and result release dates.
What happens if I fail a course in my last semester?
- If you fail a course in your final semester, you may not be eligible to graduate. Your final graduation status will be viewable in your ISIS account.
- If you require academic advice, please contact your ANU College.
My graduation status says 'Not Eligible' and I don't think this is correct. What should I do?
- 'Not Eligible' means that you have not met the eligibility requirements of your award/s for the current session. This may be due to late or unresolved grades, or debts to the University.
- If you disagree with your final graduation status, you should contact your ANU College immediately.
What is an AHEGS?
- The Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) is a Commonwealth initiative introduced to help make Australian qualifications recognised and understood throughout the world. For further information please see this page.
What are Digital Documents?
- Students and graduates can view, download and share their ANU academic documents online, at any time using a secure platform called My eQuals.
- The academic documents available using this system are: academic transcript, Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) and Testamur.
What do I do if I need an apostille?
- Original ANU awards containing signatures or seals obtained on or after 1995 can be authenticated or apostilled by DFAT directly on the original. There is no requirement to present them to Student Central to verify the content. The award obtained can be verified through graduate search as a matter of public record. For more information, please go to this page.
- PLEASE NOTE: This is only required in limited situations; most students will not need to go through this process.
How do I get a completion letter?
- You can download a Program Confirmation Letter via ISIS. If you require proof that you have completed your award prior to conferral, you can request a letter of completion from your ANU College.
- The Graduations Office cannot provide completion letters.
What is the difference between a Testamur, AHEGS and academic transcript?
The Testamur is the formal certification of your award and includes the University seal and signatures of the Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor.
A Transcript of Academic Record is a certified statement detailing a student's complete academic record at the University. It includes details of all programs/courses in which the student has had an effective enrolment and the marks/grades achieved in course.
Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) is a Commonwealth required document in addition to the Testamur. It provides information on a student's higher education qualification; the institute at which the qualification was obtained; the Australian higher education system, and the Australian Qualifications Framework.