Information for students impacted by extenuating circumstances
Our thoughts are with you and your loved ones during this difficult time, and in recognition of what may be an extremely trying time for you, please remember that there are many ways in which ANU can provide support, including access to study, mental health, and wellbeing support.
If you feel that you are in need of assistance, please reach out for support and we will do our best to work together to connect you to support, guidance and practical assistance services.
We have put together information on this web page that may assist you at this time. Please read this web page carefully and don't hesitate to contact us using the email at the bottom-right of the page with any questions you may have.
We have a range of different services available at ANU to support you through this challenging time. We really encourage you to utilise them as they can help greatly.
Dean of Students
The Dean of Students' Office can provide advice on challenges in your academic program, and are an independent and confidential Office within the University.
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://www.anu.edu.au/students/contacts/dean-of-students
How to access: Email to arrange an appointment via phone, Zoom or Skype.
Other support services are available and listed on the Reach out for support page.
Academic adjustments to support you
Withdrawing from a course
If you are an International student, you can request to withdraw from a course by submitting a Reduced Study Load application.
- Website: https://www.anu.edu.au/students/program-administration/program-management/reducing-your-study-load-as-an-international
- How to apply: Manage My Degree Reduced Study Load eForm on ISIS https://isis.anu.edu.au/
If you are a Domestic student, you can withdraw from a course yourself via the Enrolment tab on ISIS.
- Website: https://www.anu.edu.au/students/program-administration/enrolment/swapping-or-dropping-a-course
- How to apply: via the Enrolment tab on ISIS https://isis.anu.edu.au/
You can visit the Census dates webpage for information about the academic impacts (e.g. grade you will receive) of withdrawing from a course.
Extenuating Circumstances Application (ECA)
An ECA will in most instances be previously unknown and unavoidable incidents that have a demonstrable and significant impact on a student's ability to study, or undertake an assessment item.
- Website: https://www.anu.edu.au/students/program-administration/assessments-exams/extenuating-circumstances-application#overlay-context=students/program-administration/assessments-exams
- How to apply: Special Consideration eForm on ISIS https://isis.anu.edu.au/
A deferred examination is the sitting of an examination at a time other than the scheduled time/date.
- Website: https://www.anu.edu.au/students/program-administration/assessments-exams/deferred-examinations
- How to apply: Deferred Examination eForm on ISIS https://isis.anu.edu.au/
Late Withdrawals may be granted if you encounter unavoidable and unexpected extenuating circumstances that impede your successful completion of a course. You will need to be able to demonstrate that the circumstances occurred or were exacerbated after the census date for the course. If your late withdrawal request is approved, you will receive a WD (withdrawn without failure) grade and a refund or remission of the course fees.
- Website: https://www.anu.edu.au/students/program-administration/program-management/late-withdrawal
- How to apply: Manage My Degree Late Withdrawal eForm on ISIS https://isis.anu.edu.au/
Flexibility for Supporting Documentation
Our priority is that students stay safe. If you are unable to access a medical practitioner to obtain standard supporting documentation in a timely manner due to impacts of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the University will accept alternative forms of supporting documentation (e.g. personal statement) for Special Consideration, Deferred Examination and Reduced Study Load applications. If you are only able to provide a personal statement given your circumstances, then please get in touch.
Website: Information about allowances for supporting documentation can be found on the webpage for each application process:
- Deferred Examination: https://www.anu.edu.au/students/program-administration/assessments-exams/deferred-examinations
- Reduced Study Load: https://www.anu.edu.au/students/program-administration/program-management/reducing-your-study-load-as-an-international
- Extenuating Circumstances Application: https://www.anu.edu.au/students/program-administration/assessments-exams/extenuating-circumstances-application#overlay-context=students/program-administration/assessments-exams
Semester 1, 2021 WD (withdrawn without failure) deadline moved to 2 June
The deadline to withdraw from a Semester 1, 2021 course and receive a WD (withdrawn without failure) grade has been moved to 11:59pm (AEST), 2 June 2021. You will still be financially liable for any course you withdraw from but will receive a WD (withdrawn without failure) grade on your academic record. A WD grade will not be included in the calculation of your GPA.