IMPORTANT UPDATE: Some information on this page has been amended due to operational changes made in light of COVID-19
The following amendments have been made to this page (last updated 18 August 2020):
- Service processes and procedures: For applications relating Winter Session, Semester 2 and Spring Session 2020, if you are unable to see a medical practitioner in person to access supporting documentation in a timely manner, ANU will accept a number of additional forms of supporting documentation.
As an international student on a student visa, you are expected to complete your course within the time given on your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE). In most instances, this requires you to enrol in a full-time study load (24 units per semester), each semester until the completion of your program requirements.
In accordance with Australian legislation, ANU can only extend a student's program duration and issue an extension eCoE if there are compassionate or compelling circumstances that necessitate the extension.
You can only reduce your study load or extend your course duration in limited, exceptional circumstances. You will need to seek permission from your ANU Academic College to reduce your study load. Please note that in most cases, you will be required to substantiate your request for a reduced study load with supporting documentation (e.g. medical/ counselling certificates).
A reduced study load can be approved in the following circumstances:
- Your course duration will not change;
- You are undertaking the final subjects of your course and are enrolled in your last semester; or
- The duration of your course is extended due to:
- Course structure or subject availability
- Illness, bereavement or traumatic experience
- Academic progress assistance
If you reduce your study load without approval or supporting documentation throughout your degree and then require an extension to your program, you may find ANU denies your request for an extension and refuses to issue you with a new eCoE. This will mean that you will not be able to extend your student visa, and you may not be able to complete your program at the University.
There are potentially serious consequences to your eCoE and visa when reducing your study load.
Prior to your application
We encourage you to make an appointment with your ANU Academic College to discuss your course plan and reasons for requiring a reduced study load.
The Australian Government has announced a range of visa measures to support students impacted by COVID-19. For further information, please refer to the 'Visa Information' section of the COVID-19 Advice webpage