Program leave - international coursework student

It is important that international students understand their obligations and restrictions when applying for program leave.

Students can only apply for program leave after having effective enrolment in at least one course in the program at The Australian National University for which they are seeking program leave. Applications for leave are submitted by the last day to enrol for an academic session and, where a student is already enrolled for the academic session, the application is submitted no later than the census date of the session concerned.

Students on leave retain full access to ANU IT services including ANU email, ISIS, Alliance and Library. 

Failure to re-enrol after the period of approved program leave will result in you being discontinued from your program.  If this happens and you wish to re-enrol at ANU at a later date, you will need to re-apply for admission.

Visa information

Step 1
Advisor appointment

It is advisable to confirm any leave restrictions with an Academic Advisor at your ANU College before going on program leave.

All students enrolled in MBBS or MChD program must seek the Dean's approval for taking program leave. Students should refer to the Medical School's program leave guidelines and discuss with your Year Coordinator in the first instance.

Step 2
Submit application

Applications are completed using the Manage My Degree eForm, via ISIS  (Navbar (Compass Icon) > ISIS > Degree Management > Manage My Degree > Select "MMD - Coursework - Manage My Degree - Coursework").

It is important that you provide independent supporting documentation to support your claims. It is not sufficient to provide only a personal statement outlining your special circumstances, even if it is a statutory declaration or an affidavit.

Requirements for independent supporting evidence

  • You must not submit photographs, audio files or videos with content that may be considered distressing or graphic. In addition, for any application where you are required to provide supporting evidence, photographs, audio files or videos are generally not considered appropriate evidence as their authenticity cannot be verified.
  • You are not required to provide certified copies of documents during the initial application process. However, the University reserves the right to require applicants to provide original documentation subsequently. Any document submitted may be audited and is subject to verification from the issuing body.
  • Documentation must be in English or an official translation must be provided. You should submit copies of the original documentation and the English translation of these documents.

Examples of supporting documentation

  • For medical reasons - a statement from a doctor including:
    • the date your medical condition began or changed;
    • how your condition affected your ability to study; and
    • when it became apparent that you could not continue with your studies.
    • Please Note: You should inform your doctor that the statement will be sent to ANU in support of your application.
  • For family/personal reasons - a statement from a doctor, counsellor or independent member of the community (e.g., a Justice of the Peace or a Minister of Religion) stating:
    • the date your personal circumstance began or changed;
    • how your circumstance affected your ability to study; and
    • when it became apparent you could not continue your studies.  

Students will be advised of the outcome of the application within 28 business days of the receipt of the application. If you have not had a response in this time, you should contact your ANU College.

Step 3
Re-enrol after leave

To return from leave you must re-enrol in your program using ISIS by the appropriate deadline and complete an Application for change to electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) (please see Resources) and send it to your academic College for approval and processing. 

International students on a student visa wanting to return from leave early are required to send an email to Student Central ( stating when they wish to return.

Principal dates


Semester 1 census date


Semester 2 census date

Reference documents