Financial advice and assistance

Do you need some impartial, confidential assistance managing your affairs? There are a number of options for support here. Remember, if you are feeling overwhelmed, you don't have to go through it alone. Reach out for help, and consider talking to someone from one of the University's support services.

Support options


Care is a Canberra organisation that offers free financial counselling. They can assist with credit, debt, budgeting, gambling harm, consumer law issues, and even seeking a zero-interest loan for the purchase of essential goods and services. Call their Financial Counselling team (via the National Debt Helpline) on 1800 007 007, or see their website for more information.

Care also offers small, zero-interest loans for purchasing essential goods and services. or see here for more information.


Moneysmart is an Australian government initiative that provides information and resources aimed at supporting financial wellbeing. It contains detailed information on topics of interest for students, including bank accounts, saving, loans and credit, budgeting, and investing.

National Debt Helpline

Call the free National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 for free and confidential advice from professional financial counsellors. The line is open from 9.00am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday. 

If you are affected by debt, see the debt page for more information.


Financial support at ANU

If you find yourself in need of financial assistance, there are options available for you. 

ANUSA Emergency Grant

These grants are designed to provide financial assistance to eligible enrolled students who are experiencing sudden or unexpected financial hardship that is adversely affecting their education. The main criteria for a grant are the demonstration of a genuine need and that continued study may be in jeopardy due to financial hardship. The maximum grant available is $750 per year.

To be eligible, you must be enrolled as an ANU Undergraduate or ANU College student and be able to demonstrate financial need. An ANUSA Emergency Grant may be used to cover:

  • Unexpected medical bills
  • Accommodation (such as a bond)
  • Short-term living expenses (due to delayed income, etc.)
  • Emergency travel costs or travel costs related to medical issues.

Find out more about ANUSA Emergency Grants.

PARSA Emergency Grant

PARSA Emergency Grants are available to offer financial assistance to enrolled postgraduate students at the ANU who are facing genuine and unexpected financial hardship.

Enrolled postgraduate students can qualify for up to $1500 per semester (at PARSA's discretion), depending on the severity of the situation and the potential benefits of assistance.

Students are welcome to apply if they are unable to cover the following costs:

  • Costs of living (rent, food or utility costs) as a result of emergency situation;
  • Emergent medical expenses and ongoing treatment;
  • Unexpected costs as a result of COVID-19 and the travel restrictions (e.g., travel, self-quarantine, health check);
  • Costs as a result of natural disaster (bushfire, flood, draught, storm);
  • Student visa-related expenses (e.g., visa extension fee, urgent migration advice in relation to student visa);
  • Debts (e.g., accrued rental, utility costs);
  • Essential vehicle maintenance.

Find out more about PARSA Emergency Grants.

Emergency accommodation bursaries

There are emergency accommodation bursaries available for undergraduate and postgraduate students. See the Bursaries and accommodation scholarships page for more information.

Please note: if you live at a residential hall or college, there may be internal bursaries available. Contact your residence's reception for more information.


There are a number of scholarship opportunities available at ANU. Check out the Scholarships page for more information.

COVID-19 supplement grant 

In addition to ANUSA's and PARSA's normal grants, as of April 2022 they are offering COVID-19 Supplement Grant to provide financial assistance to students who have tested positive or have to quarantine due to COVID-19. To obtain the grant, students must show genuine need of financial support. Successful applicants will receive up to a maximum of $750. Find out more about the ANUSA COVID-19 supplement grant.


Page owner: Wellbeing