Student Safety and Wellbeing
The Student Safety and Wellbeing team is here to provide free and confidential support to students experiencing a range of issues that can impact on their university experience and academic engagement.
Case Managers have backgrounds in health, social work, counselling and human services. They work from person-centred and trauma-informed practice frameworks. This means that you will be treated with dignity and respect and will receive a transparent and confidential service that will empower you to make choices and connect with others.
Contact the Student Safety and Wellbeing team
How to book an appointment
Please remember to check our eligibility requirements before booking your appointment.
- Currently enrolled ANU students, who are located in Australia, are eligible.
If you have questions about the Student Safety and Wellbeing services, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New client bookings
If you are new to our service, or have not accessed our service in the last 12 months, please complete our online registration form.
After completing the form, within 1 - 3 business days, you will receive a phone call from one of our team members. This phone call aims to better understand your current needs and ensure you are booked in with the right service. This call will last 10 - 20 minutes.
If you have any difficulties completing the form, please contact our reception on 02 6125 2211 and select Option 1.
Existing client bookings
If you are returning to our service, or have had an appointment with us in the past, please complete our online registration form.
If you are a third party (such as a GP, family member, friend, or other), and would like to refer someone to our service, please complete our online referral form and our team will review your request.
Accessibility: please notify our staff at the time of booking if you have particular access, mobility, communication, or other needs. Our service has access to the national Translation and Interpretation Service if needed, but bookings for this typically need to be arranged by our centre in advance to coincide with your appointment time.
How do I make a disclosure of sexual misconduct?
If you are in immediate danger, please call emergency services on 000 or ANU Security (if on-campus) on (02) 6125 2249.
The University provides two pathways for disclosures.
More information can be found on the Disclosure of Sexual Misconduct webpage.
Pathway Oneis an online form which provides the opportunity for the person who has experienced sexual assault or sexual harassment to provide their contact details to a Student Safety and Wellbeing Case Manager.
- who has a personal experience with sexual assault or sexual harassment
- who is actively supporting a victim/survivor and has that person's consent to complete a disclosure
- who directly witnessed a sexual assault or sexual harassment
- who is a third party (e.g., a staff member providing information/support and the victim/survivor has given consent for the third party to complete the disclosure form)
Pathway Two is an online form which does not ask for the contact details of the person who has experienced sexual assault or harassment.
- who has a personal experience with sexual assault or sexual harassment but does not want to identify themselves or does not want contact from a Student Safety and Wellbeing Case Manager at this stage
- who has received a disclosure but does not have the consent of the victim/survivor to provide identifying information
- who is aware that sexual assault/sexual harassment has occurred and wants to inform the ANU for the purposes of data collection
Both of these forms can be completed by anyone,
All disclosures are treated respectfully and confidentially with the Case Manager guiding their engagement according to the wishes of the person who has experienced the behaviour.
What services does the Student Safety and Wellbeing team offer?
The Student Safety and Wellbeing team provides support in the following areas:
- tenancy issues,
- accommodation and homelessness,
- mental health,
- homesickness, isolation and loneliness,
- conflict management,
- domestic and family violence,
- intimate partner violence,
- incidents of discrimination, bullying and racism,
- financial concerns,
- navigating ANU and Canberra, and
- any other issue(s) impacting your wellbeing.
To discuss any of these matters and more, please reach out to the Student Safety and Wellbeing team via the contact details below.
Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment Response
- coordinated support for victim-survivors, such as safety planning, academic flexibility and information on specialist support services,
- assistance with reporting options both within the ANU and police services,
- linking with specialist services including referrals to health services and counselling,
- advice and support for first responders and bystanders, and
- advice for respondents.
To submit a sexual assault or sexual harassment disclosure or find out more information about our sexual assault and sexual harassment response visit the Sexual harassment and sexual assault response and support webpage.
The Student Safety and Wellbeing team employs a Nurse Practitioner (NP) with expertise in women's health, sexual health and forensic medicine in the care of students who have encountered sexual violence.
The NP works across both the case management side supporting our sexual assault and sexual harassment response as well as at the ANU Medical Centre, providing access to sexual health care and information.
Case Managers and the Nurse Practitioner follow professional and legal guidelines on confidentiality and will not disclose the information you provide to them without your permission, unless reasons, such as the law require them to or there are compelling reasons such as significant risk to yourself or someone else.
If you have any questions about confidentiality, please raise this with one of the Case Managers or Nurse Practitioner.
Our teams & Contacts
|Student Safety and Wellbeing|
+61 2 6125 2211