Support for Carers

ANU recognises that the time commitment and emotional stress of caring can have a significant impact on a student's university participation.

With appropriate documentation, students can register with Access & Inclusion (A&I) for support to assist in balancing their carer responsibilities and studies.

- Who is a carer?

ANU recognises carers in line with the Carers Recognition ACT 2010 which states:

Carers are people who provide personal care, support and assistance to another individual in need of support due to disability, medical condition, including terminal or chronic illness, mental illness or is frail and aged A person is not considered a carer if they:

  1. provide care either for payment, as a volunteer for an organisation, or for the requirements of education.
  2. simply because they: are the spouse, de facto partner, parent, other relative or guardian of an individual who requires care; or live with an individual who requires care.

To be eligible for support at ANU, you may be recognised as the primary carer or have a caring role that impacts your ability to participate in studies on the same basis as other students. Eligibility for support will be considered on a case by case basis upon the receipt of appropriate documentation.

- What support is available?

Our supportive team of DisAbility and Equity Advisors provide advice, evidence-based supports and adjustments to help minimise the impact of your caring role on your studies.

They will work with you to develop a personalised Education Access Plan (EAP), which outlines reasonable adjustments to support you to achieve your personal best whilst studying at the ANU, provided the inherent requirements of courses are maintained.

- What documentation do I need?

To register you need to provide documentation verifying you have caring responsibilities that impact your ability to participate in studies on the same basis as other students.

This can take the form of either:

  1. Health Practitioner Report for Carers (under Reference Documents) 
  2. A current Centrelink grant letter or income statement (no more than one month old), confirming you are in receipt of Centrelink Carer Payment or Carer Allowance OR
  3. A current letter from a Registered Medical or Allied Health Professional of either yourself as the student carer or the person that is being cared for which should include the following information:
  • the nature of the condition of the person you are caring for (disability, medical condition, mental illness or frail and aged)
  • whether their condition is permanent, fluctuating or temporary
  • a statement describing the care for which the person depends on you
  • how your study may be impacted by these caring responsibilities
  • recommendations regarding adjustments to support you in your study
  • the time period of support you require If you are experiencing a medical condition or disability, in addition to your caring role, a separate Health Practitioner's Report must be completed by your treating practitioner about you - available online here

- How do I register as a carer?

Registration involves attending a 50 minute consultation with a DisAbility and Equity Advisor (DEA) to discuss your circumstances and develop a personalised Education Access Plan (EAP), which outlines reasonable adjustments to support you in your studies.

  • Step 1: Arrange your current supporting documentation (see above requirements)
  • Step 2: Request a registration appointment via email at attaching the following:
    • A completed A&I registration form
    • Current supporting documentation
    • From the timetable below, cut and paste this graph into your return email and please write in all times/days that you are available for an appointment and our A&I administrator will email your appointment time to you shortly
    • TimesMonTuesWedThursFri
      9 am - 1 pm     
      1 pm - 4 pm     
      Please arrive 5 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. Late arrivals may result in a rescheduling of your appointment. 


- Useful links

Reference documents

Use contact details to request an alternative file format.