Volunteer with the Student Life team
Volunteering is a great way to develop new skills, connect with fellow students, and give back to the ANU community. All volunteers are provided with training, advice, and support throughout the program/s. Student Life volunteers are also eligible to have their contributions counted towards the ANU+ Award.
First Year Experience and Set4ANU volunteers play a vital role in welcoming new students to the ANU community, answering their questions, directing them to appropriate support, and being a friendly, knowledgeable contact point for students as they commence their ANU journey.
Set4ANU Mentoring Program
- Contact and support mentees online from the beginning of N-Week (two weeks before semester begins)
- Support mentees throughout their first 8 weeks at ANU, utilising the resources, training, and support provided by the Student Engagement Officer and Set4ANU Student Leaders
- Be a point of contact and reassurance during mentee's orientation and transition to ANU
- Encourage and facilitate mentees in participating in Set4ANU events and foster their ability to understand ANU processes, create their own social networks in Canberra, and develop the skills they need to be a successful ANU student
- Respect the University's equity and diversity and Work Health & Safety (WHS) policies.
- New mentors: Complete 1hr of group training (online) during the semester before they commence mentoring + Complete 2hrs of online training before the program begins.
- Continuing mentors: Complete approx. 1hr of continuing development before their next semester of mentoring.
Register to become a Set4ANU Mentor here: https://anu.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9nUJRufo4D3BUh0 or if you are a mentor this semester, you can re-register here: https://anu.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1WXfU2OVUfuv8qO
First Year Experience
The First Year Experience (FYE) program is a home for new domestic, undergraduate students who want to share their rich knowledge and skills. These students come from rural and remote, low-income/low-SES, and refugee backgrounds, or are the first in their family to attend university. As FYE Peers, these new students have the opportunity to form a strengths-based community and lead their own transition to ANU.
FYE Student Collaborators are later year student volunteers who play a key role in in the FYE community by:
- Participating in FYE events and leading group activities,
- Role modelling a Strengths-based culture and helping to establish a sense of community in the FYE program,
- Coordinating group contributions to FYE projects, campaigns, and challenges,
- Providing informal support to new students to immerse themselves into the ANU and local Canberra communities, and
- Participating in design thinking workshops to help shape and develop the FYE program.
FYE Student Collaborators will be eligible to claim their volunteering hours for the ANU+ Award and will have the opportunity to participate in regular personal and professional development opportunities alongside other Student Life volunteers.
Register to become an FYE Student Collaborator here: https://anu.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cBG6UtaHuNyeIZw