What is First-Year Experience (FYE) program?
First-Year Experience (FYE) was developed for underrepresented undergraduate domestic students, including those from rural and remote locations, low-income or refugee backgrounds, who are first-in-family to attend University, or who are looking to build community and a strong support network at ANU.
FYE is a strengths-based transition and development program helping you get an early start on your connection to ANU, academics and other students!
The program runs for approximately six months at the start of the year and aims to create connections, foster independence and resilience, and build a community to support first-year retention and overall student experience. This is done through activities and events that support personal, professional and academic development, and social engagement for the students involved.
FYE is tailored to your needs and interests, based on insight and feedback from current students and previous program participants. Through the program you have opportunities to attend a range of activities including an annual camp, academic workshops and social events, utilise additional services and resources, as well as develop your leadership skills.
Our staff members are here to help you further develop your skills, meet other students and feel welcomed during your first year at ANU. Student participation and feedback is key to the FYE program as key initiatives are driven by the students' needs, wants and interests.
Why should I participate in FYE?
Starting at university can be both exciting and overwhelming, we're here to make sure you have access to all the services and resources that you need to get off to a good start and maintain your momentum throughout the year!
As an FYE participants you will:
- Gain insights from current students and staff on how you can have an enjoyable and successful first year at university;
- Find out how to get support at ANU, what services are available and who can help, so that no matter what academic or personal changes or challenges you might experience, you know where to go for help;
- Learn how to learn at university through academic development workshops and activities;
- Build on your strengths and develop leadership skills which you can use throughout your time at ANU and beyond;
- Engage with a group of peers who are also adjusting to personal and academic life at ANU;
- Become so comfortable at ANU that it feels like your home away from home; and
- Have fun!
A calendar of events for 2021 will be added to the resources section once it is finalised, in the meantime feel free to join the FYE 2021 Facebook page to start meeting other new students and hearing about great resources!
Am I eligible to join the FYE program?
The majority of eligible first-year students are invited to join the FYE program before the commencement of Semester 1 each academic year, with the first major in-person event, the FYE camp (or camp alternative as per COVID-19 restrictions), taking place in the week before O-Week.
If you think you meet the criteria to join FYE complete the registration form on the right-hand side of the page and one of the program staff will be in touch.
"The amazing people, the opportunities and the fantastic experiences we shared at the FYE camp made the daunting experience of moving away from home and leaving family so much easier." 2020 First-Year Experience (FYE) Pilot Program student participant.