HELP Loans for New Zealand Citizens

The Australian Government has passed legislation, effective from 1st January 2016, to provide Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP) loans to New Zealand citizens who are Special Category Visa (SCV) holders and meet the requisite criteria.

In order to be deemed eligible to access to HELP Loans (Fee-Help, HECS-HELP and/or SA-HELP) a New Zealand SCV holder must:

  • have first entered Australia at least 10 years ago as a dependent child aged under 18 years of age; and

  • have been ordinarily resident in Australia for the previous 10 years (that is, you have been physically present in Australia for at least eight out of the past 10 years) and 18 months out of the last two years at the time of application for the loan; and

  • meet all other eligibility for Fee-Help, HECS-HELP and/or SA-HELP.

If you believe you meet the eligibility requirements you must present the following items to ANU Student Central:

  • your New Zealand passport;
  • proof of movement confirming:
    • entry to Australia prior to your 18th birthday;
    • that you've resided in Australia for the last 10 years; and
    • that you've resided in Australia for 18 months of the last 2 years.

Proof of movement could take the form of:

  • an International Movement Record from the Department of Home Affairs (formerly the Department of Immigration and Border Protection); or,
  • school records showing consistent enrolment at an Australian school/s between 2005 and 2015.

To qualify for HELP the documentation listed above must be presented before the census date of your first course in your current session/semester/trimester.

Note: being a New Zealand citizen, or holding a Special Category Visa, won't automatically entitle you to a HELP loan - The Australian National University will assess whether you meet all of the eligibility criteria based on the documentation you provide.

Students who do not meet the requirements under the legislation must be prepared to pay their tuition fees in-full by the date shown on their invoice.