Applications open for the 2022 MEF Study Tour of Japan
ANU is pleased to be selected by Mitsui & Co. (Australia) Ltd. to be one of the partner universities for the annual Mitsui Educational Foundation (MEF) Study Tour of Japan for 2022. The MEF aims to build stronger ties and promote mutual understanding and friendship between Japan and Australia by introducing Australian university students to Japanese culture, history, business, industry, and contemporary lifestyles through an annual tour of Japan.
To date, 388 Australian students have participated in this program which has celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2021. The 21 day study tour will take selected Australian university students through various regions of Japan, providing opportunities to learn about Japanese culture, society, business & industry, as well as participate in a number of people-to-people exchanges.
The 21-day study tour provides a balanced experience of corporate, traditional and contemporary Japanese culture. All transport, accommodation, insurance and transfer costs are covered by MEF and the students are accompanied by the MEF coordinator from Mitsui Australia.
The 2022 program will be held from 22 November to 13 December. Examples of activities (based on previous years) may include:
- briefing sessions on Mitsui's strategies and activities at our Tokyo headquarters
- site visits to Nippon Steel, Toyota Motors, Ozeki as well as Mitsui's subsidiaries and business partners
- a briefing on bilateral relations from the Australian Ambassador to Japan
- an international politics class at Keio University in Tokyo
- a chance to meet Japanese university students selected to work at Mitsui as graduates
- a homestay with a Japanese family in the city of Chigasaki
- visits to places of historical and cultural significance in Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima.
Apply for the MEF Study Tour of Japan
This exciting opportunity is offered to all ANU students who meet the following criteria:
- Are full-time, on-campus undergraduate students, second year or above
- Are Australian citizens
- Are academically capable, but selection is not contingent on high academic achievement
- Can clearly demonstrate a keen interest in learning broadly about Japan
- Can demonstrate how they could most benefit from the MEF experience
- Will act as outstanding ambassadors for their university, state, and Australia on the tour
- Study of Japan/Japanese language is not a requirement to be eligible for participating in the program.
Upon completion of the study tour in Japan, participants are required to provide a 3000-word report on their experience during the program, as well as a presentation to the trustees and Mitsui employees. Participants will become automatic members of the MEF Alumni Association, which has chapters in each state/territory of Australia.
To apply, please electronically complete in the attached Student Application form and email it to email@example.com. Applications close 19 June 2022.
Interviews with 2018 Cohort after the Japan Tour
Hear from previous cohorts on their experience of the MEF Study Tour of Japan.