Independent Learning Abroad

Independent learning abroad provides students an opportunity to pursue an overseas experience where semester exchange or college-led programs are not an option for you. You can study for a short program, a semester, or a year-long program at an overseas institution, that does not have an exchange agreement with ANU.


- Students make their own arrangements to liaise with the host university for the chosen program.

- Student needs to meet the host university's own entry requirements for the chosen program.

- Student are responsible for all fees incurred and will pay fees directly to the host university.

- Student are strongly advised to seek prior approval from their academic college for any overseas studies.

- Most importantly, student need to discuss with their academic college whether they have room in their ANU degree, for external studies to count as credit-bearing towards their ANU degree.

Most universities have information on their websites about study abroad program eligibility and how to apply.


How does it work?

You are required to make all of your own arrangements. ANU Global Programs can provide general advice on whether Study Abroad might be appropriate for you, however you will not receive any program-specific assistance. It is up to you to look at what is possible and arrange to apply to the specific university directly, to be accepted for their program.

Unlike exchange placements, you will need to pay tuition fees directly to the host institution or program provider, rather than ANU, and you will apply directly to the host institution. You would be considered as an international fee-paying student.

To receive academic credit for your Independent learning abroad program towards your ANU degree, your participation and course selections must be approved by your academic college.  You should meet with an academic advisor from your college before you apply for learning abroad.  Your academic college will review your degree program and assess whether you have room within your degree for overseas studies.  You will also need to supply your college with a list of course outlines and classes you plan to take while overseas, which they will assess as to whether they are credit bearing towards your degree.

If you are an International Student wishing to take part in Study Abroad, please check the status of your student visa. It may only be valid whilst you continue to study at ANU and your fees are paid to ANU.

Upon your return from the study abroad program, you will receive credits for the study, provided that you have gotten approval from your academic college beforehand. Your results will appear as STE (status external) on your academic transcript.

Where can I go and what can I learn?

You can go anywhere you choose! Study Abroad is open to anywhere in the world, as long as you have consulted with your academic college and you have their approval. The host university is not required to have an existing agreement with ANU. 


How much will it cost?

Cost varies depending on the host university! You will need to directly pay tuition fee and any other fees (if applicable) to the host university.



Eligibility requirements for Study Abroad are decided by the host university. Before starting your application, check the host university's entry requirements relating to GPA, level of study, languages, citizenship and available faculties.  Your host university may have other requirements, so be sure to do your research! 



Register you independent learning abroad experience with ANU Global Programs, to ensure your overseas experience is recorded and made known to ANU. You can register your study abroad experience once you have been accepted into a program or at the final stage of applying for study abroad. Registering will provide you access to the following information:

·         Information on how to gain credit for your program;

·         How to apply for eligible financial assistance;

·         Information on upcoming pre-departure sessions;

·         How to apply for an ANU Travel Participation Letter;

·         Potential to meet other students studying abroad;

·         Requirements for ANU Travel insurance.

To register, please send an email to