Withdraw from a research program

If you decide you no longer want to continue studying at ANU then you should withdraw from your program.

You may withdraw from your program at any time before you submit your thesis; however, you should discuss the withdrawal with your supervisor and Head of Department first to cover all possible alternatives and support available to you including taking a leave of absence.

If you decide to proceed with withdrawing from your candidature you will need to submit the Voluntary Discontinuation form available via Manage My Degree on ISIS.

If you stop your research but don't notify the University that you wish to withdraw, you will remain an enrolled student and will be charged fees.

Program withdrawal is final. Readmission to a withdrawn program requires a new application to the University.

Note: if you withdraw after the commencement of a research semester, you will still be liable for any fees due for that semester.

IT access following research program withdrawal

Your ANU email account will remain active for 4 weeks after date of withdrawal from your research program. If you are an ANU Alumni, you will maintain access to your Alumni account.

International students

As an international student visa holder, withdrawing from your program may have significant visa implications for you and you may be at risk of being non-compliant with your visa conditions. This can lead to the cancellation of your student visa and a ban imposed on your by the Department of Home Affairs.

Changing to another Australian university

International students leaving ANU within six months of commencing their study will need a release letter from the University to enrol at another registered education provider. Contact us and make sure you have the following documentation:

  • Release Request form
  • offer letter from other registered education provider
  • original current visa and passport
  • current Australian address provided
  • current email address
  • short statement as to why you are requesting a release letter.  

You will be notified of the outcome of your request via email within 10 working days of lodgement of a complete application (including all supporting documentation).

You will be advised when your electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCoE) has been cancelled. After you have received this notification you will need to visit your nearest Immigration Office with your release letter.

Please note you will need to keep a copy of this letter, as it will be required to present to your new registered education provider.

Advisory information

Reference documents

Use contact details to request an alternative file format.


  • Graduate Research Office
  • +61 2 6125 5777
  • Send email