Get course credit or exemption

If you have previous studies or professional experience that is relevant to your current academic program, you can request to receive course credit or an exemption based on your prior learning.

Course credit (also known as status) can be granted as either specified (where the prior learning is considered equivalent to a specific ANU course) or unspecified (where the prior learning is not considered equivalent to a specific ANU course). Unspecified credit may be approved to count towards a major or minor, or towards the elective component of a program.

Credit will be given a unit value (usually six units per course) and the units you receive as credit count towards the unit requirements for your program.

Course exemptions

An exemption may be granted for a course, rather than credit, if you can demonstrate that you have learned and understand the content of that course through previous study or professional experience. Course exemptions are usually only granted for compulsory courses and those which form a prerequisite for other courses.

If you receive a course exemption, no unit value is assigned. This means that the exemption does not count towards the unit or course requirements for your program, nor towards any majors or minors.

Types of prior learning

ANU recognises formal, non-formal and informal prior learning when assessing course credit and exemption.

Formal learning is learning towards a formally-recognised qualification. Non-formal learning is learning that takes place through a structured program but does not lead to a formally recognised qualification. Informal learning is specific employment experience, volunteering, internship or workplace based training

International students

Requests by international students will be processed as per Standard 2 of The National Code 2018 and students will be required to accept their credit.

International students should be aware that receiving credit may affect the length of their program and, if so, a new eCoE will be issued to reflect the revised program end date.

Group of Eight credit transfer agreement

In recognition of the excellence of teaching and research that exists in the Group of Eight (Go8) universities, members agree to enhance the mobility of students between them by facilitating the transfer of credit earned at their institutions.

The Go8 Credit Transfer Agreement is based on an acceptance that the assessment regimes at all Group of Eight universities are comparable and transferable.

Step 1 - How to apply

You will need to complete an Application for credit transfer.

Assessment of requests is based on demonstrated attainment of the learning outcomes for each relevant ANU course or academic program. Learning outcomes are published in the University's online handbook Programs & Courses.

The type of evidence required depends on the type of prior learning for which you are seeking credit.
For formal learning completed outside ANU, you need to supply an official transcript from the institution as well as course/unit outlines or handbook entries for each completed course/unit. No documentation is required for formal learning completed at ANU.

For non-formal learning, you need to supply evidence of completion of the program (eg a training certificate) as well as a brief statement (less than 500 words) of how learning outcomes of for the ANU course, major, minor or academic program for which credit is requested have been attained.

For informal learning, you need to supply evidence of achievement (eg sample of work or a detailed employer reference) as well as a brief statement (less than 500 words) of how learning outcomes for the ANU course, major, minor or academic program for which credit is requested have been attained.

Requests for credit and exemptions should be submitted by email. You will also need to attach evidence of your prior learning and other supporting documents as PDFs. Hard copy requests may be submitted in person to your ANU College if electronic submission is not appropriate.

Step 2 - Notification

Requests for course credit submitted with applications for admission to the University, direct or through UAC, are normally assessed at the same time as the application. You will receive details of your approved credit along with your offer of admission, except in cases when assessment of your credit will unreasonably delay you receiving your offer.

Requests submitted after admission to the University will be assessed by the next semester census date or within four weeks of submission of request, whichever is later.

Requests submitted without all required evidence will be assessed within 4 weeks of omitted evidence being supplied. Note that the University may not contact you for further information or evidence.

Step 3 - Submit an appeal

Appeals relating to course credit may be made under the Undergraduate Award Rules and Graduate Coursework Award Rules (as appropriate).

If you are dissatisfied with the decision regarding your request for course credit, you may appeal to the relevant College Associate Dean (Education) to review the decision. This appeal must be made in writing within 20 working days of the date of advice of the original decision.

You may appeal the decision of Associate Dean (Education) to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) on procedural grounds only. This appeal must be made in writing within 20 working days of the date of advice of the decision by the College Associate Dean (Education).

Step 4 - Cancellation of credit

To cancel credit that has already been approved/applied, exceptional academic reasons must be demonstrated to and approved by the Associate Dean.

You must submit a statement to the Associate Dean outlining the academic reasons for which approved credit should be cancelled.

The Associate Dean will consider your request and advise you of the outcome within 20 working days of receiving the request.