Undergraduate commonwealth supported places

All domestic undergraduate students enrolled in a degree or other award program at ANU are Commonwealth supported, subject to meeting the ongoing eligibility requirements. Some domestic graduate students are also Commonwealth supported.

Students who are Commonwealth supported are enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place (CSP) and pay subsidised tuition fees with the Australian government paying the remainder of the cost.


To be eligible for a CSP, students must:

  • be either:
    • an Australian citizen, who will complete some of their program while resident in Australia; or
    • a New Zealand citizen, an Australian permanent visa holder, or an eligible former permanent humanitarian visa holder, who studies the entire program while living in Australia.
  • have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) prior to their first census date (for new enrolments from 1 January 2021)
  • have sufficient Student Learning Entitlement available  (for new enrolments from 1 January 2022)
  • meet the completion rate requirements (for new enrolments from 1 January 2022)
  • not undertake more than 2 years' worth of higher education study (2.0 EFTSL) within a 12 month period (unless they have been approved to do so).

The Commonwealth only subsidises tuition fees for courses that are required for the completion of the specific program. This means Commonwealth supported students cannot get Commonwealth support for courses that don't count directly towards their program, or to repeat a course which has already been passed.

For further information, please see the Australian Government StudyAssist website.