A Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) can save you a significant amount of money on your tuition fees, in some cases more than 50 per cent on the cost of full-fee graduate study. With a CSP, you will instead pay the equivalent of undergraduate fees for your graduate coursework program. Information on Commonwealth Supported fee amounts is available here.
CSPs are limited in number and selection is highly competitive. There will be no application process for CSPs and all eligible candidates will be automatically considered. Please be aware not all applicants will be successful.
- You must be a domestic student ie Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or holder of a humanitarian visa.
- You must be a continuing or commencing Graduate Coursework student*.
- Applicants with conditional offers may apply for a CSP but they are required to meet any outstanding conditions by the first Friday of January for Semester 1 intake, and by end of June for Semester 2 intake (if available).
- Research based programs including the Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) are not eligible as the fees for these are already covered by the Research Training Scheme (RTS).
- Non-award study is not eligible.
Selection for CSPs is managed by central Cousework Scholarship Office and based purely on academic merit (eg past academic performance, level of qualifications: PhD, H1, and Masters).
You are expected to take up their Commonwealth Supported Place in the semester for which it was offered. Requests to defer a CSP will not be considered. Students are expected to take up their CSP in the semester for which it was offered.
The Commonwealth Supported Place is available for the prescribed duration of the program in which you initially enrol.
If you withdraw from your program the Commonwealth Supported Place is forfeited.
You will be subject to the usual rules of the program for which you are enrolled. Student contribution amounts for new and continuing students by ANU are assessed in accordance with the amount stipulated by the Government for Commonwealth supported students. Current amounts for Commonwealth supported places are given at the Study Assist website.