A Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) can save you a significant amount of money on your tuition fees, in some cases more than 50 per cent on the cost of full-fee graduate study. With a CSP, you will instead pay the equivalent of undergraduate fees for your graduate coursework program. Information on Commonwealth Supported fee amounts is available here.
Postgraduate CSPs are very limited in number and highly competitive. There is no application process for a CSP as domestic students who have received an offer of admission to a CSP-eligible postgraduate program are automatically considered prior to commencement each semester.
- You must be a domestic student ie Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or holder of a humanitarian visa.
- You must be a continuing or commencing Graduate Coursework student*.
- Research based programs including the Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) are not eligible as the fees for these are already covered by the Research Training Scheme (RTS).
- Non-award study is not eligible.
*As a continuing student, you need to complete at least 24 units of study at ANU in the postgraduate programme you wish to be considered for a CSP.
Selection for CSPs is managed by central Cousework Scholarship Office and based purely on academic merit (eg past academic performance, level of qualifications: PhD, H1, and Masters).
From 1 January 2021, new higher education students will need a Unique Student Identifier (USI) in order to be eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) or Commonwealth financial assistance HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP and OS-HELP.
From 1 January 2023, all higher education students, including those who commenced prior to 2021, must have a USI in order to graduate and receive their award.
For more information, please visit - Unique Student Identifier
You are expected to take up the Commonwealth Supported Place in the semester for which it was offered. Requests to defer a CSP will not be considered.
The Commonwealth Supported Place is available for the prescribed duration of the program in which you initially enrol.
If you withdraw from your program, the Commonwealth Supported Place is forfeited.
You will be subject to the usual rules of the program for which you are enrolled. Student contribution amounts for new and continuing students by ANU are assessed in accordance with the amount stipulated by the Government for Commonwealth supported students. Current amounts for Commonwealth supported places are given at the Study Assist website.
With the introduction of a suite of short courses, our allocation of CSP places for 2021 has been delayed.
The list of CSP supported short courses in 2021 are mentioned below
· Graduate Certificate of General and Applied Linguistics
· Graduate Certificate of Public Health
· Graduate Certificate of Digital Transformation
· Graduate Certificate of Applied Data Analytics
· Graduate Certificate of Machine Learning and Computer Vision
· Graduate Certificate of Data Engineering
· Graduate Certificate of Environment
· Graduate Certificate of Science
· Graduate Certificate of Disaster Risk Science & Sustainability
· Graduate Certificate of Science Communication
· Graduate Certificate of Climate Policy
· Graduate Certificate of Environmental Management
· Graduate Certificate of Systems Engineering