A Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) can save you a significant amount of money on your tuition fees, in some cases more than 50 per cent on the cost of full-fee graduate study. With a CSP, you will instead pay the equivalent of undergraduate fees for your graduate coursework program. Information on Commonwealth Supported fee amounts is available here.
Postgraduate CSPs are very limited in number and highly competitive. There is no application process for a CSP as domestic students who have received an offer of admission to a CSP-eligible postgraduate program are automatically considered prior to commencement each semester. All postgraduate coursework programs are eligible for CSP.
- You must be a domestic student ie Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or holder of a humanitarian visa.
- You must be a continuing or commencing Graduate Coursework student*.
- Research based programs including the Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) are not eligible as the fees for these are already covered by the Research Training Scheme (RTS).
- Non-award study is not eligible.
*As a continuing student, you need to complete at least 24 units of study at ANU in the postgraduate programme you wish to be considered for a CSP.
Selection for CSPs is managed by central Cousework Scholarship Office and based purely on academic merit (eg past academic performance, level of qualifications: PhD, H1, and Masters).
You are expected to take up their Commonwealth Supported Place in the semester for which it was offered. Requests to defer a CSP will not be considered.
The Commonwealth Supported Place is available for the prescribed duration of the program in which you initially enrol.
If you withdraw from your program, the Commonwealth Supported Place is forfeited.
You will be subject to the usual rules of the program for which you are enrolled. Student contribution amounts for new and continuing students by ANU are assessed in accordance with the amount stipulated by the Government for Commonwealth supported students. Current amounts for Commonwealth supported places are given at the Study Assist website.
Commonwealth Supported Places for Semester 2 2020 is currently restricted to new ANU students commencing one of the short courses listed below.
· Graduate Certificate of Data Engineering
· Graduate Certificate of Machine Learning and Computer Vision
· Graduate Certificate of Environmental Management
· Graduate Certificate of Science Communication
At present, there are no CSP being awarded for other new or continuing students in Semester 2 2020.