Canadian student loans

Federal student loans/canada student loans

Federal student loans are interest-free, full-time student loans. The Canadian government will pay the interest on your Canada student loan while you are studying full-time. You must confirm your student status at the end of each Canadian academic year.

Repayment begins six months after you have completed your studies or have stopped being a full-time student. Interest on your loan accrues from the time you stop being a full-time student. If you have a Canada student loan and a provincial loan (with the exception of the Canada-Ontario and Canada-Saskatchewan Integrated Loans), you are required to pay the loans back separately.

Provincial loans

In addition to a federal student loan, you may also be eligible for a full-time student loan from the province or territory in which you live. Eligibility for both federal and provincial loans is assessed using a single application form, but each program may have somewhat different requirements.

Provincial loans vary by province. For details specific to your province, please contact your student financial assistance office. Please note that residents of Ontario or Saskatchewan will receive only one loan when they apply for federal and provincial student loan funding.

The National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC) can provide more information if you are unsure how to proceed.

CanHELP/private loans

In 1998, IEFC developed the Canadian Higher Education Loan Program (CanHELP) to provide funding for Canadian students enrolled abroad. There is no other source from which Canadian students can borrow the full cost of their education in US dollars. 

To discover how CanHELP can assist you to achieve your international education goals, visit the Canadian Student Loans website. The website includes information on loan terms and conditions, eligible schools and how to order an application. ANU is listed as an eligible institution on the website.


To be eligible, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen or be a permanent resident of Canada
  • reside in a province/territory that issues Canada student loans
  • demonstrate financial need
  • maintain satisfactory academic standards
  • be enrolled in at least 60% of a full-time study load in a degree, diploma or certificate program.

ANU does not administer or calculate eligibility for financial aid for Canadian students. The University confirms program information and enrolment details and completes Canadian Customs and Revenue Agency Taxation Certificates on behalf of Canadian students. However, all decisions concerning eligibility are made by the granting body. All Canadian students are advised to check the amount of Commonwealth or Provincial funding available to them prior to their commencement at the University. It is the student's responsibility to ensure they can cover the full cost of tuition and living expenses for the full duration of their studies.

Further information for Canadian citizens or dual citizens is available from the Academic Standards & Quality Office.

Step 1

Get a loan application from your provincial or territorial student financial assistance office.

Complete and sign all necessary documents and forward them to your provincial/territorial student assistance office for assessment. Your application will automatically be assessed for a Canada Student Loan and a provincial student loan (with the exception of Quebec, the Northwest Territories and Nunavat, who operate their own financial assistance programs).

Step 2
Receive Certificate of Eligibility

Once your application has been assessed, you will be contacted in writing to be advised if you are eligible to receive a loan, and, if eligible, the amount you may borrow. It usually takes four to six weeks to assess your eligibility.

If you qualify, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from your provincial/territorial student financial assistance office.

Step 3
Submit documentation

Send any documents requiring school certification to the Academic Standard & Quality Office. The Financial Aid Officer will then complete the Confirmation of Enrollment section on your Certificate of Eligibility.

You must personally submit all loan documents to a designated Canada Post outlet. You will need to present a valid photo ID and proof of your Social Insurance Number. Provide a voided check to have funds deposited directly into your bank account or a check can be issued and/or mailed to you.