Frequently Asked Questions

What is a disability?

Eligible for support if you have a physical, sensory, psychiatric, learning or intellectual impairment, or long term medical condition which impacts upon your daily living activities as defined by the Disability Discrimination Act 1992. Primary carers as defined under the Act will also be eligible for support from USQ.

Further information about the different types of disability or long term medical conditions and the impacts upon the learning environments, is available on the Australian Disability Clearinghouse on Education and Training website.

Disclosure of disability/medical conditions.

In order for the University to adjust a process, provide equipment, or make any other adjustments, the student must disclose the nature and extent of the disability or medical condition. This information will be kept private and will not appear on your academic record or transcript. Accessibility will then assess the nature and extent of the disability or medical condition and facilitate the provision of support.

Accessibility will not disclose information to any person outside the University without specific written consent of the student, unless the University considers that disclosure of the information is required in the following circumstances:

  • It is necessary to protect you or someone else from imminent danger,
  • In response to a subpoena, summons or written demand from an administrative body, organisation or Commonwealth authority with the power to request the information,
  • Where a law requires your personal information to be disclosed, such as for the enforcement of criminal law or if you have a health condition which must be notified,
  • Where you are involved in proceedings against the University Accessibility will create a confidential file that will be stored securely for the duration of your studies.

You're not obliged to disclose a disability or medical condition to the University. There are a number of considerations when deciding to disclose or not.

  • If you do choose to disclose your disability and the impacts on your studies, we may be able to provide you with support.
  • Even if you don't need support services, disclosing your disability when enrolling helps us collate accurate statistics about students with disabilities at the ANU.

Further information about the decision to disclose your disability is at the ACDET Disclosure website.

Am I eligible to register for support?

Current students of ANU, including international students, who have a disability, medical condition or who are recognised primary carers of a person with a disability may be eligible to register to access reasonable adjustments.

The definition of disability is based on the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1992 and includes:

  • Deafness and hearing impairment,
  • Blindness and vision impairment,
  • Physical disablility,
  • Specific learning disability,
  • Psychiatric disability,
  • Acquired brain injury,
  • Chronic medical conditions,
  • Temporary disablity (e.g. broken limb, affected mobility, or short term medical conditions).

Eligibility time frames depend on the nature of the disability or medical condition.

Students with a condition that is variable or treatable, may be required to re-new their registration and provide updated medical documentation after 6-12 months. For more information, please visit this link.

Registration is free and students are encouraged to register as soon as possible.

Medical documentation requirements

Students registering with Accessibility are required to provide current medical documentation showing evidence of their disability/medical condition or personal circumstances.

Is there disabled parking available on campus?

ANU supports full access to the main Acton campus for students with a disability.

Accessible parking spaces are available in various areas around campus. ANU requires students who are Government Disability Parking Permit holders to also apply for an ANU Disability Parking Permit in order to use accessible parking spaces on campus.



Page Owner: Wellbeing