You are warmly invited to join us in discussing books about social and political activism and protest across a range of genres. Held virtually on the first Monday of every month (during semester time).
Discussion will be casual and attendance is not compulsory. Similarly, not having read the book (or whole book) does not preclude you from joining - we'd love to hear your voice.
We've compiled a few titles to get us started. We'll build our list as we progress through the year and all suggestions for titles are welcome. Books selected are accessible from online platforms, including as e-books and libraries.
- March 6: In the Shadow of the Palms, by Sophie Chao (2022).
- April 3: We are Displaced: My Journey and Stories from Refugee Girls Around the World, by Malala Yousafzai (2019).
- May 1: We Rise, We Resist, We Raise Our Voices, by Innosanto Nagara (2018).
- June 5: Talkin' up to the White Woman: Indigenous Women and Feminism, by Aileen Moreton-Robinson (2021). Also for any extra keen reader beans: Growing up Aboriginal in Australia, by Anita Heiss (2018).
This book club is convened by Evelyn Lambeth (University of Tasmania) and Kylie Message-Jones (ANU).
Everyone is welcome. Please send any questions to Kylie.Message-Jones@anu.edu.au and Evelyn.Lambeth@anu.edu.au
Please access the book club through the links below. We're using MSTeams.
- March 6: Click here to join the meeting
- April 3: Click here to join the meeting
- May 1: Click here to join the meeting
- June 5: Click here to join the meeting