Professor Brian P. Schmidt becomes Vice-Chancellor
Professor Brian P. Schmidt AC FAA FRS becomes the next Vice-Chancellor on 1 January 2016.
Forming seven ANU Colleges
The formation of seven ANU Colleges, grouping together Research Schools, Faculties and Centres.
Medical School opens to students
The ANU Medical School is accredited by the Australian Medical Council for the first intake of students.
The National Institute of the Arts join with the ANU
The National Institute of the Arts (NITA) amalgamates with the Faculty of Arts.
Bushfires severly impact Canberra and the ANU
On 18 January, Mt Stromlo Observatory is devastated by bushfire. Telescopes, workshops, the original Observatory Building, the Director's Residence and many of the original houses are destroyed, and the Weston research facilities are severely.
Restructuring the University
In June the ANU Council announces a major restructure of University governance including the creation of Deputy Vice-Chancellors for Research and Education and the establishment of twelve virtual National Institutes
The University welcomes new additions
The University Archives is established. The Mount Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories become the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics (RSAA). The Asia Pacific School of Economics and Management (later Government) is established.
University's 50th anniversary
ANU celebrates its 50th anniversary with a program of academic and social events.
New centres are established
In the Institute of Advanced Studies, the Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering (RSISE) is established. The Centre for Middle Eastern and Central Asia Sudies (from 1999, the Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies) is established in the Faculty of Arts.
Opening the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
In the Faculties, a new Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology is established.
The Canberra Institute of the Arts joins with the ANU
The Canberra Institute of the Arts, comprising the Canberra School of Music and the Canberra School of Art, amalgamates with ANU.
Changes for the Research School of Physical Sciences
The Research School of Physical Sciences becomes the Research School of Physical Sciences and Engineering (RSPSE).
Establishing the ANU Graduate School
The ANU Graduate School is established, intended to coordinate graduate teaching and resources across the University and to provide greater cohesion between the Institute of Advanced Studies and the Faculties.
Establishment of the ANU Supercomputer Facility
The University purchases a 'Fujitsu FACOM VP50 vector processor' and establishes the ANU Supercomputer Facility to house it.
Renaming the School of General Studies
The School of General Studies formally renamed The Faculties.
Opening the Women's Studies Program
After extended debate, a separate Women's Studies Program in the Faculty of Arts came into being.
The Humanities Research Centre is established
The Humanities Research Centre (HRC) is established as another important 'centre' in the University.
Establishing the Centre for Resource & Environmental Studies
The Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies (CRES) is established, part of a trend to establish what was sometimes referred to as a 'third dimension', namely units and centres within the University
A decision is made to create a separate Research School of Earth Sciences (RSES) from departments in the Research School of Physical Sciences.
Opening the Computer Centre
The Computer Centre was established, intended to serve users campus wide.
Opening new research schools
The Research School of Chemistry (RSC) and the Research School of Biological Sciences (RSBS) are established bringing the number of research schools to six.
The Australian Forestry School accepts its first students
The Australian Forestry School, which had been established in Canberra since 1927, accepted its first students as a department in the ANU Faculty of Science.
Flooding in Lake Burley Griffin
Lake Burley Griffin is flooded, skirting the southern edge of the ANU campus
Appointing the first female professor
Hanna Neumann is appointed the University's first female professor, as Professor of Mathematics in the School of General Studies.
New libraries are opened
The two University Library Buildings are opened, the R G Menzies Building and the J B Chifley Building.
Residents occupy Bruce Hall
Bruce Hall, the first residential hall for undergraduate students on campus, is occupied.
Establishing the Faculty of Oriental Studies
The School of General Studies establishes a new faculty, the Faculty of Oriental Studies. In 1970, it became the Faculty of Asian Studies.
Reaching New Guinea
The New Guinea Research Unit, part of the Research School of Pacific Studies, begins operations with a small group of support staff and academics located in Canberra and New Guinea. The Unit fostered interdisciplinary work on New Guinea among ANU academics.
Canberra University College becomes ANU
ANU amalgamates with Canberra University College. CUC becomes the School of General Studies at ANU and undergraduates become part of ANU life for the first time. In 1960 ANU still had its four central research schools, the John Curtin School of Medical Research (JCSMR), the Research School of Physical Sciences (RSPhysS), the Research School of Social Sciences (RSSS) and the Research School of Pacific Studies (RSPaS), while the School of General Studies had Faculties of Arts, Economics, Law and Science.
Mt. Stromlo Observatory joins the ANU
The Australian National University through association with the Department of Astronomy in the Research School of Physical Sciences assumes control of the Mount Stromlo Observatory from the Department of the Interior, and the name is formally changed to Mount Stromlo Observatory. Bart Bok is appointed Director of the Observatory, and Head of the ANU Department of Astronomy.
Celebrating twenty-five years
Canberra University College celebrates its twenty-fifth anniversary.
University House opens
In February 1954, University House is officially opened.
Forming the Archives of Business and Labour
Noel Butlin, an economic historian in the Research School of Social Sciences, begins collecting Australian business records, which come to form the basis of the University's Archives of Business and Labour (now the Noel Butlin Archives Centre).
The laboratories for the Research School of Physcial Sciences are opened
The laboratories for the Research School of Physical Sciences, the University's first permanent buildings, are opened.
The first Chancellor
The University's first Chancellor, Lord Bruce, is installed.
First meeting of the ANU Council
12th of July 1951- First meeting of the ANU Council, which succeeded the Interim Council appointed in 1946.
Marking 50 years of Federation
From July to September of 1975, a series of seminars on science, Commonwealth-State relations and federalism held to mark 50 years of Federation.
Conferring the first degree of Honorary Doctor of Laws
On the 7th of December 1951, the ANU confers its first degree of an Honorary Doctor of Laws on Sir Robert Garran, one of the authors of the Australian Constitution and a long-time advocate of university education in Canberra.
The arrival of academic staff members
The first academic staff members arrive to take up their appointments at ANU. At this time, there were few buildings to house them.
Laying the foundations of the John Curtin School of Medical Research
24 October 1949 - Foundation stones for the John Curtin School of Medical Research, the Research School of Physical Sciences and University House laid by Ben Chifley, Prime Minister and John Dedman, Minister for Post-War Reconstruction.
The first Vice-Chancellor
In March of 1948, Sir Douglas Copland was appointed as the first Vice-Chancellor of the University.
Shaping the University
In Easter of 1948, significant meetings occur between the Interim Council and the Academic Advisory Committee, consisting of Florey, Hancock, Oliphant and the anthropologist Raymond Firth on the shape the national university was to take. The meetings took place in the Institute of Anatomy Building, which now houses ScreenSound Australia, the National Screen and Sound Archive.
The first librarian
The University's first librarian, A L G McDonald, was appointed to begin gathering together the University Library's collections.
Designing the University
In late 1947, Brian Lewis, Professor of Architecture at the University of Melbourne was appointed Consulting Architect to design the University's major buildings.
Involving prominent academics
In April of 1946, H C Coombs meets with prominent academics in England, some of them Australian expatriates, including the medical scientist Sir Howard Florey, the historian W K Hancock and the physicist Mark Oliphant, to discuss the proposed Australian National University.
Passing the Bill by Federal Parliament
On the 1 August 1946, the Bill establishing The Australian National University is passed by Federal Parliament.
The Interim Council of the University's first meeting
In September of 1946, the first meeting of the Interim Council of the University took place in the Senate Committee Room in Parliament House.
Establishing a National University
From late 1944 to 1945, discussions between intellectuals and administrators, including H C 'Nugget' Coombs, Alfred Conlon, and Roy Douglas 'Pansy' Wright set the scene for the establishment of a National University.
Canberra University College enrolls its first students
Canberra University College, which later amalgamated with The Australian National University, enrolled its first students. Canberra University College was established with a loose association with the University of Melbourne.
The National Capital
Following the resumption of the land by the Commonwealth in 1911/12 - the Acton Campus site was earmarked as the early administrative hub of the newly proclaimed Federal Capital Territory - encompassing offices and residences of the fledgling Commonwealth Public Service, the residence of the Administrator and the Canberra Community Hospital (1914). However the site was always envisioned as an educational precinct. In the original design competition for Canberra (1911) - Walter Burley and Marion Mahony Griffin's winning competition entry designated the site for tertiary learning, even going as far as plotting the locations of individual disciplines.
Following European settlement in Australia, the area of the Acton Campus was largely transformed by heavy pastoralisation from the 1820s, with two properties - Springbank and Acton, occupying the site. Livestock and cropping markedly changed the open grassland character of the site, and the first modern buildings appeared in the area in the form of homesteads and pastoral outbuildings.