A Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) can save you a significant amount of money on your tuition fees, in some cases more than 50 per cent on the cost of full-fee graduate study. With a CSP, you will instead pay the equivalent of undergraduate fees for your graduate coursework program. Information on Commonwealth Supported fee amounts is available here.
CSPs are limited in number and selection is highly competitive. Not all applicants will be successful.
- You must be a domestic student ie Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or holder of a humanitarian visa.
- You must be a continuing or commencing Graduate Coursework student*.
- A new student who has applied to commence study in 2017 in one of the eligible programs below. Applicants with conditional offers may apply for a CSP but they are required to meet any outstanding conditions by the first Friday of January for Semester 1 intake, and by end of June for Semester 2 intake (if available).
- Research based programs including the Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) are not eligible as the fees for these are already covered by the Research Training Scheme (RTS).
- Non-award study is not eligible.
* ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences and the Joint Colleges of Science only offer these places to new students whilst the other Colleges offer them to both new and continuing students.
Selection for CSPs is managed by academic Colleges and based purely on academic merit (eg past academic performance, level of qualifications: PhD, H1, and Masters).
You are expected to take up their Commonwealth Supported Place in the semester for which it was offered. Applications for deferral will only be considered in exceptional circumstances and should be made in writing to the respective College Dean. Please note that work commitments will not be considered sufficient grounds for deferral of a Commonwealth Supported Place.
The Commonwealth Supported Place is available for the prescribed duration of the program in which you initially enrol. Some Colleges may consider keeping your Commonwealth Supported Place if you transfer to another Program within the same College. These cases will be considered on a case-by-case basis and please contact your enrolling College for further information.
If you withdraw from your program the Commonwealth Supported Place is forfeited.
You will be subject to the usual rules of the program for which you are enrolled.
Student contribution amounts for new and continuing students by ANU are assessed in accordance with the amount stipulated by the Government for Commonwealth supported students. Current amounts for Commonwealth supported places are given at the Study Assist website.
To apply for a Commonwealth supported place for Semester 1 2017 please fill out the online application by the due dates below. No late applications will be accepted.
ANU College of Asia & the Pacific
Application deadline: 31 January 2017 (via UAC)
College contact: Cap.firstname.lastname@example.org
Application: No application required. All eligible students will be considered.
ANU College of Arts & Social Sciences
College contact: Graduate.Students.CASS@anu.edu.au, 02 6125 2898
ANU College of Business & Economics
Application deadline: Monday 12 June
College contact: email@example.com
Application: UAC for the program (and separate online application for CSP)
New and continuing students are eligible.
ANU College of Engineering & Computer Science
College contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application: UAC for the program (and separate online application for CSP). No graduate CSPs are currently available to students commencing in the ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science during Semester 1, 2018; applications submitted will be retained and considered in future semesters.
ANU Joint Colleges of Science
College contact: Caroline Chapman, Deputy Manager, email@example.com 6125 2809
Application: All students will be considered for a CSP, no seperate application is necessary. Please look at this page for more information about Commonwealth Supported Courses in the Colleges of Science.
ANU College of Law
College contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application: UAC - all eligible applicants will be considered for a CSP. High achieving fee-paying students will also be assessed for a CSP after completing a minimum of 24 units.
Program: Juris Doctor