This scholarship was established by the Westpac Scholars Trust as part of Westpac's 200th anniversary celebrations, which was officially commemorated in 2017.
The scholarship is awarded to postgraduate students who are undertaking a Master by coursework or research or a PhD at one of nine participating world-class universities - which include ANU. In addition to demonstrating academic excellence in their own field of study, Westpac Future Leader Scholars will have the desire and potential to become leaders, inspire others and build collaborative networks across disciplines, and have a vision to contribute to the growth and prosperity of Australia.
Scholars will be exceptional people, chosen for their potential to make a difference to Australia's future in one of the Trust's three focus areas:
- Technology and innovation
- Strengthening Australia-Asia ties
- Enabling positive social change
There are two scholarships available to prospective ANU students.
Field of study
To be eligible for a Westpac Future Leaders Scholarship, you must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (New Zealand citizens who are not also Australian citizens are not eligible to apply);
- Have completed an undergraduate degree after 1 September 2018, OR will complete by 31 December 2023;
- Have achieved or are on track to achieve an average result of H1 or H2A equivalent (approx. 75 WAM);
- Have chosen to undertake a Master by coursework or research or a PhD at the ANU with demonstrated world-class capability in the proposed area of study;
- If undertaking a research program, the proposed area of research must be in a field of research with an Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) four digit Field of Research (FOR) rating of 5.
- Commence study in 2024 (Jan - Dec 2024);
Whose proposed program of study and post-study plan must contribute to the future of Australia in at least one of the Westpac Scholars Trust's priority funding areas;
- Technology and innovation
- Strengthening the ties between Australia and Asia
- Enabling positive social change;
- Include international opportunities, such as a period of study at an overseas university, a presentation at a conference significant to the discipline, or an internship or placement at an overseas organisation which will develop your leadership skills and global networks; and
- Underpin a worthy and viable post-study plan that benefits Australia
Selection will be based on a candidate's academic achievements, world-class program of study, and focus on one or more of the Trust's priority areas. Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Academic excellence and are eager to undertake a PhD or full-time Master by coursework or research at ANU, in a field of world class standing;
- Passionate about strengthening Australia's ties with Asia, driving technology and innovation or enabling positive social change;
- A bold vision to contribute to the growth and prosperity of Australia who can articulate this vision and how postgraduate study will help make it real;
- Possessing a desire and potential to lead;
- Keen to be inspired by others, build networks and collaborate across diverse disciplines; and
- Confident in taking on challenges.
The Westpac Future Leaders Scholarship provides the following benefits:
- up to $120,000 in scholarship funding over 2-3 years to cover costs including course fees, living expenses, learning experiences and travel expenses
- a bespoke Leadership Development Program designed to foster potential of emerging leaders by building on your unique strengths and developing capabilities for success. It includes two residentials during the nine-month program
- opportunity to add a global context to your education, with tailored international experiences of up to six months (when possible and COVID travel restrictions permitting)
- lifelong membership of the W100 - a diverse and growing network of inspiring Aussies ready to collaborate, challenge and offer support. Plus hard-to-access networking and professional development opportunities
- attendance at the Westpac Scholars Summit in Sydney (travel restrictions dependent).
How to apply
Applications for the 2024 Westpac Future Leaders Program open on Wednesday 15 June 2022 and will close on Thursday 1 September 2022.
All applications must be submitted through Westpac Scholars Trust's online application system. Supporting documentation required as part of the online application:
- A CV of no more than two pages of 10 point Arial font and line spacing 1.5;
- A photo (headshot) of the applicant;
- (For PhD or Master by Research applicants only): A letter of support from the applicant's prospective ANU Research School stating that they are eligible to apply for entry into a PhD or Master by Research program, and including the name of the Research Supervisor;
- Certified copy of all university academic transcripts;
Two references are required using the reference templates which are located on the Westpac Scholars Trust website. The referees selected should be people who consent to being contacted by the Trust:
- The first is an Academic Reference and needs to be completed by a person who is familiar with the applicant's academic record and understands the importance of their study program.
- The second is a Personal Reference and needs to be completed by a person who can demonstrate that the applicant has the attributes of a Westpac Scholar. This can be a previous work colleague or manager, however, should not be a family member or a person who currently or previously reported directly to the applicant;
Applicants may be required to present proof of citizenship or permanent residency at any time during the selection process. Applications received without the above-mentioned documentation will not be considered by the Trust. Templates for the supporting documents are available on the Westpac Scholars Trust Website.
If you would like more information about preparing your application, please contact Philanthropic.Scholarships@anu.edu.au to speak with a Westpac Future Leaders Scholarship Awardee.
Please note: Intending applicants should also lodge an application for admission to a HDR program at ANU including identification of a potential supervisor to be considered for award of this Scholarship.
15 June 2022
19 July 2022
Westpac Future Leaders Information Session (6:00pm AEST)
1 Sept 2022
Applications close (11.59pm, AEST)
National Assessment Centre in Sydney
16 December 2022
Notification of outcome
Other Key Events
11-16 July 2022
Leadership Development Program Sydney Residential
July- August 2022
18- 21 August 2022
Westpac Scholars Summit (online)
Follow-up Leadership Development Program Residential
Click here to view the recording for the Westpac Future Leaders Information Session, held on 19th July 2022.
If you are interested in applying for the scholarship and would like to interact with the ANU Westpac Scholar Community, you are invited to join a Virtual Meet and Greet session being held on 25 August 2022 at 6:00pm (AEST).
Click on this link to register this event.
For more information about this scholarship, please email Philanthropic.Scholarships@anu.edu.au or click on the "visit our website" link below.