To be eligible to apply for a John Monash Scholarship applicants must:
- be an Australian citizen,
- have completed or be about to complete an undergraduate degree from an Australian university, and
- be planning to undertake postgraduate study at an overseas university commencing in the calendar year following the year of application and selection.
The Scholarships support any postgraduate degree however the applicant must be able to argue the merits of the chosen course and institution.
The John Monash Scholarships are not limited by age, gender, or academic field of study.
The Scholarships are granted for the commencement of the study program in the calendar year following the year of application and selection.
In awarding John Monash Scholarships, factors considered include:
- outstanding Intellect - demonstrated by academic excellence (having completed or are about to complete a university degree or degrees with outstanding results, such as an honours degree (with a classification of 1 or 2A) or equivalent. Excellence is also demonstrated through language skills, musical skills and/or publications
- leadership - demonstrated and potential - within or outside of an Applicant's field of study or professional field; Citizenship - community service
- program - defined research project or study programme to be conducted at an overseas University
- the case presented by the applicant of the significance of the applicant's potential contribution to their field and to the community
- referee reports outlining the applicant's abilities.