Each year the Australian National University offers the University Research Scholarship to support high achieving HDR students who are conducting research which aligns with the strategic directions of the University.
ANU currently conducts two annual central scholarship rounds which includes the University Research Scholarship, AGRTP, and a few other centrally managed scholarships.
- Round 1 is split into two parts, one for international candidates and one for domestic candidates with separate deadlines (31 August for international candidates and 31 October for domestic candidates each year). Round 1 is for commencements from the following year (January through to the end of March), however current candidates who recently commenced (enrolled typically for less than a year full-time equivalent) can also be considered by completing the 'Request for a current ANU student to be considered for a HDR Scholarship form'.
- Round 2 has a deadline of 15 April and is typically a smaller round with commencement or take up of the scholarship up to the end of August of the same year.
Field of study
The award will be available each year to a prospective or continuing student who:
- is a domestic student or an international student enrolled in an accredited HDR course of study at the University
- has achieved a minimum of H1 or H1 equivalent in their prior studies
Selection of this award requires each of the ANU Colleges to convene a selection committee to score and rank ALL eligible H1 (or equivalent) applicants in a merit-based process. Overall ranking includes consideration of:
- Academic Record
- Research Potential, support from the prospective supervisor and location in which the research will be undertaken
- Referee reports
- English Language competency
- Comparison with other applications received in the same scholarship round
In addition to the fornightly stipend, the scholarship also provides:
- Travel and Removal allowances for students relocating to Canberra to commence their research program;
- Thesis allowance;
- Dependant Child allowance (International students only);
- Paid medical, maternity and parental leave
How to apply
No application is required specifically for this scholarship as all eligible candidates will be considered based upon their application for admission. When you complete your admission application for a HDR program you can select which scholarship/s you are interested to be considered for including the University Research Scholarship (URS). There is no separate application form except for current candidates (who have typically completed less than 1 year full-time equivalent), through the 'Request for a current ANU student to be considered for a HDR scholarship' form. For any further details or exceptions due to COVID19 travel restrictions please see the below table on deadlines.
In order to be considered for this scholarship in Round 1, International students are required to apply for admission by 31 August. Domestic students are required to apply for admission by 31 October. Applications must be complete by the Scholarship deadline, including all supporting documentation and referee reports, in order to be considered in the scholarship ranking process.
Referee Reports & Submitting your application at least 2 weeks prior to the Scholarship Deadline
Request for referee reports are triggered and sent to your nominated referees at the time of submission of program application. Your referees must submit their reports prior to the scholarship deadline for your application to be considered complete. It is therefore strongly recommended that you submit your application in advance (2-3 weeks) prior to the below deadlines to allow time for your referees to provide their report prior to the scholarship deadline.
Applicants are also strongly encouraged to make contact with the relevant Graduate Studies Convener or a prospective supervisor, prior to lodging an application, to discuss the proposed research topic and related matters.
Deadlines for scholarship rounds
|Scholarship round||Admission application closing date||Commencement Year|
|2023 Round 1 International||Closing 31 August 2022||2023|
|2023 Round 1 Domestic||Closing 31 October 2022||2023|
|2023 Round 2 International and Domestic||Closing 15 April 2023||2023|