What is the co-curricular or service requirement?
The co-curricular and service requirement (CCS) is a mandatory section of the Australian National University (ANU) application that will ask you to demonstrate your involvement in activities outside the classroom during Years 10 to 12.
These activities include sport, a paid job, volunteering, school clubs, creative competitions, student exchanges and more.
In your application, you will need to include documentary evidence of your participation in a maximum of five CCS activities.
As well as the CCS requirement, you will also need to meet academic and other program-related requirements to be eligible to receive an offer to study at ANU.
For more information on the range of extracurricular activities that can help you meet the CCS requirement, read the ANU co-curricular or service schedule
ANU does not expect or encourage you to do any co-curricular and service requirement (CCS) activities that contravene social distancing measures or Australian Government health advice.
How it works
In your ANU application, you will need to:
- choose a maximum of five co-curricular and service requirement (CCS) activities that you participated in during Years 10 to 12
- make sure your CCS activities meet two different skill outcomes in the ANU CCS schedule
- attach/upload supporting documentation to your application that demonstrates your involvement in the above CCS activities (see documentation requirement information below).
Once you have submitted your application, ANU will:
- assess your documentation to ensure it meets our requirements
- match the activity to an activity in our schedule
- rate you as having met or not met the co-curricular and service requirement
ANU does not use your co-curricular or service requirement (CCS) information and evidence to rank you against other applicants or to modify your ATAR or academic rank.
Which activities count?
Your co-curricular and service requirement (CCS) activities need to demonstrate at least two of the following skill groups:
- Community engagement
- Inclusion and awareness of diversity
- Personal responsibility
- Creative and critical thinking
To learn more about the activities that count towards this requirement, view the co-curricular or service activity declaration.
Your supporting documentation will verify that you have participated in a CCS activity and must satisfy all the criteria below.
If you are unsure whether your documentation meets the requirements, you can use the co-curricular or service activity declaration form.
Your documentation must:
- Identify you as the applicant, by your full name, as having participated in the co-curricular or service activity; and
- Provide the full name, signature and contact details of a person who can verify your participation; and
- Identify the activity by name that you were involved in; and
- Identify the dates you were engaged in the activity.
View examples of documentation that meet these requirements.
Use this calculator to find out if your activities meet the co-curricular and service requirement.