Due to the disruptions caused by COVID-19, we have adapted our admissions process for undergraduate study at ANU in 2022.
We will make offers based on Year 11 results on 9 August 2021, and these will be honoured for study in 2022 as long as students have completed Year 12 with an ATAR.
Learn more about these changes and how it may affect your application, the co-curriculars and service requirement, or program pre-requisites in our admissions FAQs
These changes do not apply to non-school leavers and/or those who did not study an Australian Year 12 or International Baccalaureate (November Session) program. The information on this page is related to study in 2022.
Assessing your application
Your domestic direct application will be assessed on three requirements:
- the co-curricular or service requirement
- academic requirements (Year 11 results for the August round, better of the Year 11 results and the Year 12 results for the December round)
- additional program requirements like prerequisites or portfolios if applicable for your chosen program
Making an offer
We will make you an offer of admission based on your Selection Ranks.
We calculate your Selection Rank and provide it in your offer letters.
August offer round
As mentioned above, due to COVID-19, ANU will now make offers based on Year 11 results, and these will be honoured for study in 2022 as long as students have completed Year 12. Your August round offer is based on your ANU Selection Rank. View your application timeline to see when your August offer will be released.
Your ANU Selection Rank is calculated using your Year 11 results, your school's average ATAR performance in previous years, and any adjustment factors you are eligible for. This process allows us to make you an early offer based on your Year 11 performance.
Result format for Year 11 studies
To successfully calculate an ANU Selection Rank we need to receive your results in a certain format. While most schools in Australia will already use this format, some do not. Please download the ANU Supplementary Form available under Reference Documents for acceptable result format, If your result format is not one of the acceptable format, please ask your school to translate your grades using the ANU Supplementary Form
The completed supplementary form with your school reports should be uploaded against your application.
December offer rounds
If your Year 11 results did not meet our entry requirements, or you have changed your preferences, we will automatically reassess your application based on the better of the Year 11 Selection Rank (Year 11 results plus any applicable adjustments) and the Year 12 Selection Rank (ATAR plus any applicable adjustments).
You will be made an offer to your highest eligible preference. Please note that you can only have one valid offer in the system so if your December Offer is different from your August offer, you will only be able to respond to your December offer.
Applications to ANU are open to all students, and we prioritise offers of admission by the following tiers:
- students whose academic performance places them in the top-2% of their secondary school campus
Here's how it works:
- Bahaar is in the top-2% of students in her school. She applies to ANU and has an ANU Selection Rank of 90 and tier 1 status.
- James performs well academically and is of Torres Strait Islander heritage. He applies to ANU and has ANU Selection Rank of 91 and tier 2 status.
- Sarah is an academically talented student, but doesn't fall in the top 2% of students in her school, nor is she a member of one of the identified priority criteria. She applies to ANU and is has an ANU Selection Rank of 92 and tier 3 status.
All the students have listed the same program as their first preference, meet the co-curricular or service requirement, and fulfil the academic requirements for their preferred program.
Under the admissions process, the first place is allocated to Bahaar as she has tier 1 status, the second place is allocated to James in tier 2 and the third place is allocated to Sarah in tier 3.
Mandatory maths and English from 2023
Successful completion in senior secondary maths and English is mandatory for applications submitted in 2022 for commencement in 2023. You will need to complete:
at least one high school English course/unit in at least one semester during Year 11 and
at least one high one high school maths course/unit in at least one semester during Year 11.