Cross-institutional applications

If you are currently enrolled in a degree at another Australian university, and you would like to complete an ANU course for credit towards your degree, you can apply to study at ANU as a cross-institutional student.

For example, you might like to complete a course in a subject area that ANU specialises in and have it count towards the completion of your degree your home university.

Applications for cross-institutional study are subject to place availability in the courses you are applying to study. You may only study courses at the same academic level in which you are enrolled at your home institution . 


Step 1: Obtain approval from your university

Before you begin, it is important to discuss your intentions with your home university. You will need to obtain their approval before you can apply for cross-institutional study at ANU. You should allow plenty of time to apply, ideally at least six weeks before the start of your intended study session at ANU. Your home university may also need time to process your approval; approaching them early is advised.

This type of study may be commonwealth-supported if you have a commonwealth supported place (CSP) at your home institution.

Step 2: Check Prerequisites

Some courses have prerequisites, including assumed knowledge and completion of introductory subjects. Please check the Programs & Courses website for prerequisite details, or contact the ANU College that delivers the course.

Step 3: Apply

After reviewing the course information and obtaining approval from your university, complete the application form in the resources section of this page. Return a scanned colour copy of this and any supporting documentation, such as academic transcripts, to the ANU Admissions Office at Please take note of the application deadlines on the application form.

Application processing time will vary between academic areas. You should allow at least 4-6 weeks before you receive an outcome.

You may apply for cross-institutional studies one academic year at a time. Returning cross-institutional students will need to complete the application process each time they apply.