Moving in checklist

Moving in date

The move-in dates for the student residences vary depending on location. You will need to refer to your Accommodation Offer email for your particular contract start date.

Please contact your residence if you plan on arriving before or after the contract start date to make arrangements.

If you arrive early and your accommodation is not available we can help you seek temporary accommodation until your room is ready.

Accompanying family members are welcome to stay for the first week to help you settle in, however they will need to locate temporary accommodation. For temporary accommodation, the University provides fully furnished apartments at Liversidge Court and has an on-campus hotel at University House.

What to bring

All residences contain your bed (with mattress protector), wardrobe, desk, chair, and a sink. You should bring your clothes, toiletries, sheets and blankets/duvet. If you are going to be living in a self-catered residence you should also bring your cooking utensils and equipment. Following is a guide on what you should need:


Clothing (for all seasons)


Duvet / Bedding


Bath towels

Laundy hamper

Coat hangers


Cooking utensils

(self catered residences)

Plug conversters

(international students)


Clock Radio


Wet-weather clothing


Bicycle (with a good lock)

Washing powder

(some residences have front loaders, so check before buying)


Portable speakers





Laptop/PC/gaming devices 



Sports gear




Phone chargers



Hair dryer / curling tongs / straightener

Data cables

Gym gear

Small fridge (some residences may have, so check before buying)


TV (some common areas have, so check before buying)


Momentos from home





What not to bring

Due to fire risk the following items are not permitted:

  • Heaters
  • Kitchen appliances
  • Electric blankets
  • Additional furniture

Pets/animals of any type are not permitted in any University residence.

Car considerations

There are very limited car spaces for car parking at the residences therefore you are unlikely to obtain a parking permit. Once you have applied for a parking permit and have received confirmation from Security that you now have a permit you can bring your car. A residential parking permit only allows you to park in the car park for your particular residence, this means you can't park anywhere else on campus. View more information about parking and transport.

Other options

Canberra and campus has e-scooters and e-bikes parked along University Avenue.  

Car share services through FlexiCar are available to University students.  Bookings can be made using the FlexiCar app or on the FlexiCar website.