Great news for undergraduate students
ANU guarantees accommodation* in one of our Halls, Colleges, Lodges or other approved accommodation to all of the following undergraduate students commencing in the first semester of their first year of study at ANU.
- Indigenous students
- Students with a disability**
- Tuckwell Scholars
- Incoming exchange students
- 1st year, 1st semester, domestic undergraduate students
- Transferring students from another Institution
- 1st year, 1st semester, international undergraduate students
- ANU Medical School students
- ANU College Foundation Program (Standard program - February commencement only)
* Please note this does not provide a guarantee of your preference, but every effort will be made to give you an offer to your preferred residence.
** If you do not disclose a medical or special requirement condition at the time of your application please be aware that we cannot consider your requested preference.
Accommodation application pathways and eligibility criteria
To be eligible for the guarantee you must have applied through the correct application pathway.
Australian school leavers
Australian school leavers can apply for accommodation when they apply directly to ANU; applications open 4 March and close 31 May. Students who apply directly to ANU are guaranteed a spot in one of our on-campus accommodation residences. Please click on the link to check if you are eligible to apply directly to ANU.
All other domestic and international students
- Complete the online accommodation application which opens on 20 August and has a closing date of TBA for first semester and full-year applications or between 1 April and 8 June for second semester applications
- Apply to study in a full-time undergraduate degree at ANU
- Be commencing the first semester in your first year of study at ANU
- Be a resident from outside of the Canberra Region (postcodes excluding 0200, 0221, 2600-2612, 2614-2620, 2900-2914)
- Be a resident of the ACT or surrounds who live in a suburb which has one of the following postcodes: 0200, 0221, 2600-2612, 2614-2620, 2900-2914. ANU guarantees up to 50 local places
- Then receive and accept your offer:
- Domestic students: receive your academic offer from ANU through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) by January Round 1 for semester 1 or June Round 1 for semester 2
- International students: accept your academic offer and pay your program fee deposit by 17 January for first semester and full-year applications or by 23 June for second semester in the year your studies will commence
- Accept your accommodation offer within 48 hours of receiving it
Some students aren't covered by the guarantee
If you are a Postgraduate Coursework, Postgraduate Research, existing student or a student with a late round UAC offer you are welcome to apply for accommodation however availability cannot be guaranteed.
Postgraduate Coursework and Postgraduate Research students are also welcome to apply for ANU-owned rental properties, which are located close to campus through ANU Apartments, they also provide staging accommodation while you seek longer-term housing.
Accommodation Services can help you look for accommodation alternatives such as renting a property, family accommodation, shared housing or boarding.
All times quoted are in Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT).