Withdraw from a program as an international coursework student

As an international student visa holder, withdrawing from your program may have significant visa implications for you and you may be at risk of being non-compliant with your visa conditions. This can lead to the cancellation of your student visa and a ban imposed on you by the Department of Home Affairs.

Your withdrawal will be effective from the date the application is received by the University.

If you stop attending classes but don't notify the University that you wish to withdraw, you will remain an enrolled student and will be charged fees and receive fail results for your enrolled courses.

Program withdrawal is final. Readmission to a withdrawn program requires a new application to the University.

Changing to another Australian university

International students leaving ANU within six months of commencing their study require a release from ANU to enrol at another registered education provider. To apply for a release, international coursework students must complete and submit a Release Request form along with all the following supporting documentation to policy.regs@anu.edu.au:

  • Valid full offer letter from other registered education provider. Note that an offer that is provisional or conditional upon Academic or English requirements will not be accepted;
  • Original current visa and passport;
  • Evidence that the principal program at ANU is academically unsuitable, or that compassionate or compelling reasons for the transfer exist;
  • For students under the age of 18, written confirmation that your parent or legal guardian supports the transfer, or that the new registered education provider will accept responsibility for approving your accommodation, support and general welfare. 

You will be notified of the outcome of your request via email within 10 working days of lodgement of a complete application (including all supporting documentation). If your request for a release is approved, you will be advised when your electronic confirmation of enrolment (CoE) has been cancelled. After you have received this notification you will need to visit your nearest Immigration Office to seek advice on whether a new student visa is required. 

Step 1
Advisor appointment

Before withdrawing from your program you should speak to your ANU Academic College to discuss alternative options such as taking leave from your program or transferring to a different ANU program.

Step 2
Withdraw from your program

You can withdraw from your program using the Manage My Degree eForm, via ISIS

Program withdrawal should be requested before the semester/session/trimester in which it is to take effect.

Withdrawing from your program will automatically drop all courses from the effective date of the withdrawal, including any in progress, and all courses you are enrolled in for future semesters or sessions. The consequences of having your courses dropped when you withdraw from your program are the same as dropping courses without withdrawing from your program.

Step 3
Apply for a fee refund

Students who enrol and withdraw from all courses before the relevant census date will not be liable for the tuition fees/student contribution for those courses and fees already paid may be refundable.

If the relevant census date has passed, you will remain responsible for the tuition fees.

Advice to help

Fee refunds

Step 4
Return to your home country

It is expected that students who have withdrawn from their studies and are not transferring to another Australian registered education provider will report to the Department of Home Affairs immediately to advise them of the change to their plans and will make arrangements to leave the country within 28 days of the date their eCoE was cancelled.

Alternately, students may wish to discuss different visa options directly with the Department of Home Affairs that will allow them to lawfully remain in Australia.