As an international student visa holder, withdrawing from your program may have significant visa implications for you and you may be at risk of being non-compliant with your visa conditions. This can lead to the cancellation of your student visa and a ban imposed on you by the Department of Home Affairs.
Your withdrawal will be effective from the date the application is received by the University, or the start of the semester/session/trimester indicated on your withdrawal application, whichever is later.
If you stop attending classes but don't notify the University that you wish to withdraw, you will remain an enrolled student and will be charged fees and receive fail results for your enrolled courses.
Program withdrawal is final. Readmission to a withdrawn program requires a new application to the University.
Changing to another Australian university
International students leaving ANU within six months of commencing their study require a release letter from ANU to enrol at another registered education provider. To apply for a release letter international coursework students must complete and submit a Release Letter Request form along with all the following supporting documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Valid full offer letter from other registered education provider. Note that an offer that is provisional or conditional upon Academic or English requirements will not be accepted;
- Original current visa and passport;
- Evidence that the principal program at ANU is academically unsuitable, or that compassionate or compelling reasons for the transfer exist;
- Application for Program withdrawal form (where students have already commenced studying at ANU);
- For students under the age of 18, written confirmation that your parent or legal guardian supports the transfer, or that the new registered education provider will accept responsibility for approving your accommodation, support and general welfare.
You will be notified of the outcome of your request via email within 10 working days of lodgement of a complete application (including all supporting documentation). If your request for a release letter is approved, the release letter will be sent to the email address supplied on your Release Letter Request form.
You will be advised when your electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCoE) has been cancelled. After you have received this notification you will need to visit your nearest Immigration Office with your release letter.
Please note you will need to keep a copy of this letter for yourself, as it will be required to present to your new registered education provider.