The ESOS Framework has been developed by the Australian Government to protect your rights as an international student in Australia and assure quality educational standards. The ESOS Act and related laws protect International students through:
- The Tuition Protection Service: A placement and refund service, and
- The National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018 (Explanatory Guide).
ANU and the programs that international student visa holders can study at ANU are registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). For more information, the Providing Quality Education and Training and Protecting the Rights of International Students fact sheet provides an overview of what you should expect when you study in Australia as an international student.
As a student studying on a student visa you must:
- Complete your program within the timeframe of your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE);
- Study at least one face-to-face course per study period;
- Ensure that you do not study more than 33.3% of your program by distance or online;
- Notify ANU of your Australian address within 7 days of arriving or changing your address. This is done through ISIS;
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
Your visa is handled by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). You can find out your visa conditions and entitlements online using VEVO.
Your eCoE is produced by ANU and it is used to support your visa application. There are only limited situations in which ANU will allow you to extend your eCoE. The following links provide information on actions that may impact the duration of your eCoE:
- Taking Program Leave from a research program or coursework program;
- Reducing your study load as a Coursework Student;
- Changing your intensity as a Research Student;
- Applying to withdraw from your program and request a release letter as a Coursework Student or a Research Student;
- Applying for a degree/program transfer as a Coursework Student;
- Applying for a change of program as a Research Student.
To request an eCoE extension, please follow these instructions. Please note that you must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the full duration of your visa.
ANU Legislation, Policies, Procedures and Services relating to International Student Visa Holders
As required under the National Code 2018, the following Legislation, Policies, Procedures and processes apply to the management of ANU international student affairs:
- Coursework Award Rule;
- Research Award Rule;
- Student Complaint Resolution policy and procedure
- Appeals processes;
- Academic Progress Rule and associated information on academic performance (Coursework Students);
- Early intervention (Coursework Students): Student Academic Study Load and Progression policy and procedure;
- Course Credit policy and procedure;
- Student Critical Incident policy and procedure;
- Request to change offer of Admission to a different session - Postgraduate process and Undergraduate process;
- Program leave process for Coursework Students and Research Students;
- Student Refund Policy and Procedure.
ANU provides a range of student support services to assist you during your studies. This includes academic skills & learning, counselling, careers Information, disability services, security services and primary health services.