"Digital technologies are interwoven in the fabric of today's societies and economies and underpin our security. Globally, there is an urgent and increasing demand for new approaches to technology policy. In response, I am delighted to announce a new ANU initiative to establish a Tech Policy Design Centre"- the Hon. Julie Bishop, ANU Chancellor and Australia's 38th Foreign Minister, Patron of the Tech Policy Design Centre.
Existing policy structures are struggling to keep pace with technological innovation. We need to disrupt the way tech policy is designed and implemented. We need to mature the tech-governance eco-system.
Develop fit-for-purpose tech policy frameworks to shape technology for the long-term benefit of humanity.
Foster mature public debate and conduct world-leading research in collaboration with industry, government, civil society, and academia.
Fit-for-purpose tech policy frameworks that reward innovation, drive economic growth, strengthen democracy, enhance national security and shape an environment (online and offline) in which individuals and communities can thrive.
What makes us different?
- Our objective is to mature the tech policy eco-system
- We recognise policy and governance as tools to shape technology
- We champion good regulation as a competitive advantage
- We identify challenges and co-design solutions
- We collaborate with industry, government, civil society and academia
- We specialise in the Asia-Pacific and have extensive global networks
- Our diversity is our strength.
- Industry: mature the tech governance eco-system; move beyond responding to government regulatory proposals; co-design fit-for-purpose frameworks
- Government: collaborate with experts; develop world-leading tech policy frameworks tailored to achieve specific regulatory objectives
- Academia: translate research into impact; develop the evidence base to inform a new generation of tech policy frameworks
- Society: demand fit-for-purpose frameworks that minimise the harms and maximise the economic and social benefits of digital technology