8 April 2022
Council met in person for the second meeting of 2022.
Council considered the mandatory annual reporting prepared by Council Committees and discussed several matters of strategic importance to the ANU community.
The Acting Minister for Education and Youth, the Hon Stuart Robert MP, made the following two appointments to the ANU Council:
- Ms Naomi Flutter (current Pro-Chancellor) - from 1 July 2022 until 30 June 2024 (2 years); and
- Professor Sarah Pearson - from 1 July 2022 until 30 June 2026 (4 years).
Council Election - Professional Staff
Ms Caterina Giugovaz, Professional Staff Representative, attended her last Council meeting. Her two-year term will end on 25 May 2022. The process to elect Ms Giugovaz's successor has commenced with voting open until 5pm, Thursday, 28 April 2022.
Council considered a report prepared by the Vice-Chancellor focussed on managing COVID at the University, the Federal Budget and staffing matters.
New Council Committee - Student Wellbeing
Council allocated time for a detailed discussion about Student Wellbeing at the ANU, including consideration of the recently released 2021 National Student Safety Survey (NSSS) results and broader Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment (SASH) matters.
Council asked the University to prepare the necessary documents to formally establish a new Council Committee to advise Council on Student Wellbeing issues.
The matter has been scheduled for discussion at the next Council meeting.
Council also considered (approved or noted) the following:
- ANU Annual Report 2021, including the Annual Financial Statements, for presentation (under embargo) to the responsible minister following the meeting.
- Socially Responsible Investment (SRI) Report for 2021 and its publication.
- 2021 statement attesting that ANU policy and its institutional environment upholds freedom of speech and academic freedom as paramount values, which also align with the Model Code for the Protection of Freedom of Speech and Academic Freedom in Australian Higher Education Providers.
- Campus Master Plan - Annual Report 2021.
- National Centre for Indigenous Genomics - Annual Report 2021.
- Annual Reports from Council Committees for 2021.
Council also considered a range of other significant matters, including progress reports regarding the new Strategic Plan (ANU 2025), the ANU International Strategy, appointments to Council Committees, and summaries of Council Committee and Academic Board activity since February 2022.
Council next meets on Friday, 3 June 2022.
The Hon Julie Bishop