Each year, our teaching community gather to celebrate those who have enhanced the quality of learning and teaching in higher education at ANU. Although it has been a year like no other and we couldn't hold this event in person, the celebrations kicked off (virtually) on Thursday 27 August!
It was the night that our community needed. A night to recognise and celebrate the outstanding teaching community that have continued to provide a world-leading education in the most difficult circumstances. A night to cheer and laugh together.
Our fantastic MC for the night, Professor Michael Martin, dubbed it the Oscars of the ANU teaching community. His very memorable Zoom background brought a perfect balance of prestige and comedy.
Our Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) Professor Grady Venville and Pro Vice-Chancellor (Education) Professor Royston Gustavson joined our Vice-Chancellor to celebrate the 2020 candidates and award recipients. Both offered inspiring reflections on the importance of tutoring and demonstrating, supervision, student learning, and teaching excellence.
Professor Venville also presented the University’s two Australian Award for University (AAUT) recipients for 2019.
Vice-Chancellor Professor Brian Schmidt congratulated all recipients on their awards.
“I don’t know exactly what the future holds for us yet, but I do know that ANU will continue to offer a world-leading education, and our teaching staff and supervisors – you all – will be integral to this.
Every university has a mission. And our mission is interesting, not just for Australia, but for the world. It comes from being created after World War Two, to help Australia emerge and prosper – and we are here to do that again.
Our students will be particularly important as we support the national effort of reconstruction. We will need them to think critically, analyse, debate, innovate – and with an ANU education, they’ll have all they need to change the world.
But to do this, they need a great education. They need to be taught by the best teachers, and they need to learn from the best people. And that’s exactly what they have at ANU.”
Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Tutoring or Demonstrating
- Dr Ruji Auethavornpipat and Tereza Whiting-Kobelkova, Department of International Relations, Coral Bell School of Asia Pacific Affairs, CAP
- Louise Blessington, Fenner School of Environment and Society, CoS
- Ruvi Lecamwasam, Department of Quantum Science, Research School of Physics, CoS
- Yuan (Helen) Ping, Research School of Accounting, CBE
- Feodor Snagovsky, School of Politics and International Relations, CASS
Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Supervision
- Professor Edward Aspinall, Coral Bell School of Asia Pacific Affairs, CAP
Vice-Chancellor’s Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
- Associate Professor Ben Corry, Research School of Biology, CoS
- Dr Darren Lim, School of Politics and International Relations, CASS
- Associate Professor Heather Roberts, ANU Law School, Law
- Professor Susanna Ho, Research School of Accounting, CBE
- Dr Tao Zou (Early Career category), Research School of Finance, Actuarial Studies and Statistics, CBE
Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Teaching Excellence
- Associate Professor Dipti Talaulikar, ANU Medical School, CHM
- Dr Timo Henckel, Research School of Economics, CBE
- Associate Professor Krisztina Valter, Associate Professor Alexandra Webb and Elisa Crossing, ANU Medical School, CHM, and School of Art and Design, CASS.
2019 Australian Award for University (AAUT) awards - Citations for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
The Awards booklet with full citations can be downloaded here.