Last changed 10 August 2019
Warlpiri non-linguistic references
Partial, non-uniform coverage
Ordered by year, new to old, and alphabetically by author
This listing has a partial and non-uniform coverage. It shows its
origins as a list of references about (or mentioning) Warlpiri that do
not fit in the linguistics
or motion pictures and multimedia
Warlpiri Youth Development
Aboriginal Corporation (previously Mt Theo – Yuendumu Substance Misuse
Aboriginal Corporation): Newsletters and other documents at http://wydac.org.au
A lot of postings at Friends
Bilingual Learning Google Group concern Warlpiri schools.
Many articles in Central Australian Land Rights News.
Send additions and corrections to the compiler, David Nash.
A bibliography of Warlpiri ethnographic literature is
paper) from AIATSIS
Hint: To find a particular author's name,
or key term, use
your Web browser's Find command.
- KURDIJI 1.0 Aboriginal Resilience Building App is here!
Posted on February 28, 2019 by Judith Crispin. https://kurdijiapp.wordpress.com/2019/02/28/kurdiji-1-0-aboriginal-resilience-building-app-is-here/
* see also https://www.facebook.com/kurdiji1.0/
- Tavendale, Olwyn. 2019. Painting country: Spatial, somatic and
linguistic experience in central Australian Aboriginal art. Oceania
89.1,104–123. doi: 10.1002/ocea.5212
- Seymour, Tom and Brennavan Sritharan. 2019. Restricted
Images by Patrick Waterhouse and the Warlpiri. British Journal of
Photography. Published on 7 March 2019. https://www.bjp-online.com/2019/03/restricted-images-by-patrick-waterhouse-and-the-warlpiri/
- Morton 2019: see Jennings 2012
- Curran, Georgia. 2019. Sustaining indigenous songs:
Contemporary Warlpiri ceremonial life in central Australia.
Berghahn Books. ISBN 978-1-78920-607-4 https://www.berghahnbooks.com/title/CurranSustaining
- 'Taking desert art to the world'. Conversations. Sarah Kanowski
with Cecilia Alfonso.
* Warlukurlangu Artists, Yuendumu
- Anderson, Drew. 2018. The Global in the Local: Development and
International NGO Practice in Central Australia. Anthropology, ANU
- Anderson, Drew. 2017. New subjects or old categories? An
ethnographic critique of the intercultural. Presented to 'Australian
anthropology and post-colonialism' session, AAS/ASA/ASAANZ 2017
'Shifting States', Adelaide, 11-15 December 2017 * abstract in https://nomadit.co.uk/shiftingstates/conferencesuite.php/panels/5992
- Bellos, Alex. 2018. Can you solve it? An Aboriginal family
puzzle. The Guardian 3 Dec 2018 https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/dec/03/can-you-solve-it-an-aboriginal-family-puzzle
* based on NACLO 2013
- Burke, Paul. 2018. An Australian Indigenous diaspora:
Warlpiri matriarchs and the refashioning of tradition. New York,
Oxford: Berghahn. http://www.berghahnbooks.com/title/BurkeAustralian
- Curran, Georgia. 2018. On the poetic imagery of smoke in Warlpiri
Forum 28.2(June),183-196. DOI 10.1080/00664677.2018.1443794
- Fleming, Joan. 2018. The limits of knowledge: A reflexive reading
of Warlpiri poetics. JEASA | Journal
of the European Association for Studies of Australia 9.1 * http://www.australianstudies.eu/?p=882
* about Gallagher et al 2014 Jardiwanpa yawulyu
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2018. Lajamanu – 40 years with the
Warlpiri people. Film screening, 8 November 2018, AIATSIS. https://aiatsis.eventsair.com/lajamanu-60-40-years-with-the-warlpiri-people/rsvp/Site/Register
- Gordon, Oliver, et al. 2018. Mapping the Coniston massacre.
Saturday 8 September 2018 6:20PM
Interviewer: Oliver Gordon. Dwayne Ross, traditional owner of Yurrkuru
waterhole east of Yuendumu. Petronella Vaarzon-Morel,
anthropologist. Georgia Stewart, coordinates community development
projects at the Central Land Council http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/awaye/2018-09-08/10209510
with audio https://abcmedia.akamaized.net/rn/podcast/2018/09/aye_20180908_1820.mp3
- Gosford, Bob, and Frank Baarda. 2018. 10 more years of “beads and
Yuendumu’s 2008 ‘Statement from the Heart’. The Northern Myth
[blog] Mar 4, 2018 https://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2018/03/04/10-years-beads-mirrors-yuendumus-2008-statement-heart/
- Gosford, Bob. 2018. Essential documents from Aboriginal
Australia: 7 – the 2008 Yuendumu Petition. [includes Warlpiri petition
The Northern Myth [blog] Mar 4, 2018 https://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2018/03/04/essential-documents-aboriginal-australia-7-2008-yuendumu-petition/
- Hinkson, Melinda & Eve Vincent. 2018. Shifting indigenous
Australian realities: Dispersal, damage, and resurgence: Introduction. Oceania
88.3,240–253. doi:10.1002/ocea.5200 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ocea.5200
* Special Issue: Shifting Indigenous Australian Realities: Dispersal,
Damage, and Resurgence
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2018. In and out of place: Ethnography as
‘journeying with’ between central and south Australia. Oceania
88.3,254–268. doi:10.1002/ocea.5201 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ocea.5201
* Special Issue: Shifting Indigenous Australian Realities: Dispersal,
Damage, and Resurgence
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2018. Yulyurdu: smoke in the desert. Anthropological
Forum 28.2(June),116-125. DOI 10.1080/00664677.2018.1423038
- Smith, Keith Vincent. 2018. The door is a painting the painting
is a door. 6pp. PDF https://www.academia.edu/37955834/The_door_is_a_painting_the_painting_is_a_door
* about 'Big Yam' by Paddy Nelson Jupurrula, 1984 * "Updated from an
essay in my 1999 course ‘Aboriginal Central Australia’ at Macquarie
University, Sydney, tutored by Dr Jennifer Biddle"
- Spillman, David. 2018. The brumby dance episode: On the value of
cultural continuity within the localised complexity of remote
Indigenous education [online]. Australian Aboriginal Studies
No. 1, 2018, 19-28. https://search.informit.com.au/documentSummary;dn=719057751394997;res=IELIND
* associated video https://aiatsis.gov.au/7474552541
* "The brumby dance episode occurred as a Warlpiri-inspired response to
an emotionally charged conversation regarding the Northern Territory
Emergency Response." Lajamanu
- Cooper, Luke. 2017. Indigenous Elders Are Creating A Mobile
App To Tackle High Suicide Rates. HuffPost
04/04/2017 6:49 AM AEST | Updated 04/04/2017 1:55 PM AEST https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/04/03/indigenous-elders-are-creating-a-mobile-app-to-tackle-high-suici_a_22023366/
- In People and
change in Indigenous Australia edited by Diane Austin-Broos and
Francesca Merlan. Honolulu:
University of Hawai’i Press:
• Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2017. Reconfiguring relational
among Lander Warlpiri.
• Burke, Paul. 2017. Bold women of the Warlpiri diaspora who went too
• Musharbash, Yasmine. 2017. Predicaments of proximity: revising
relatedness in a Warlpiri town.
- Paul, Mandy & Michaelangelo Bolognese (eds). 2017. Bush
Mechanics: from Yuendumu to the world.
Mile End, SA: Wakefield Press. * Foreword by Paul Rees, chapters by
Georgine Clarsen, Melinda Hinkson, David Batty & Francis Jupurrurla
Kelly,Michaelangelo Bolognese, and Mandy Paul
- Sherman, Louise and Christobel Mattingley (eds). 2017. Our
mob, God's story : Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists share
their faith. Art selection by Max Conlon, Gail Naden, Glenny Naden
and Inawantji Scales. Sydney, NSW : Bible Society Australia https://trove.nla.gov.au/version/243355458
* Warlpiri: Clarise Nampijinpa Poulson, pp32-34; Annette Nampijinpa
Patrick, p120; Jenny Nakamarra Timms; Charmaine Napurrurla Brown;
Pastor Jerry Jangala, pp214-5
- [Curran, Georgia et al]. 2017. Yurntumu-wardingki
juju-ngaliya-kurlangu yawulyu: Warlpiri women’s songs from Yuendumu.
112pp. Accompanying CD set with songs Batchelor Press. http://batchelorpress.com/node/341
* song audio at https://call.batchelor.edu.au/project/yuendumu-wardingki/
* publicity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ8VfzzznHc
by NT Writers' Centre, published on 3 Sep 2017
- Turpin, Myfany & Nigel Fabb. 2017. Brilliance as cognitive
complexity in Aboriginal Australia. Oceania 87.2,209–230. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ocea.5162
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2017. Telling Warlpiri dog stories. Anthropological
Forum 27.2, 95-113. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00664677.2017.1303603
Published online 23 Mar 2017
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2017. Precarious placemaking. Annual Review
of Anthropology 46.1, 49– 64. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-anthro-102116-041624.
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2017. Beyond assimilation and refusal: a
Warlpiri perspective on the politics of recognition. Postcolonial
Studies 20.1,86–100. https://doi.org/10.1080/13688790.2017.1334281
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2017. Working with Warlpiri
Cosmopolitics and Cultural Reappropriation: 1979-2017. Presented 10
April 2017 at the Conservatorium of Music, The University of Sydney.
- • Chapter 1, pp3-24. Françoise Dussart and Sylvie Poirier.
managing the land: The conundrum of coexistence and entanglement.
• Chapter 9, pp.186-211. Petronella Vaarzon-Morel. Alien relations:
ontological dilemmas posed for Indigenous Australians in the management
of “feral” camels on their lands.
• Chapter 11, pp.235-252. Nicolas Peterson. Is there a role for
reproduction? Maps, mining and the ‘cultural future’ in central
- In Françoise Dussart and Sylvie Poirier, eds. 2017. Entangled
Territorialities : Negotiating Indigenous lands in Australia and Canada.
Toronto; Buffalo; London : University of Toronto Press. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/961155423
* from a session 'Relationships to the Land: Ontological Resistance and
Entanglement in the 21st Century' at CHaGS 10 (10th Conference on
Hunting and Gathering Societies), Liverpool, June 2013
- Eccles, Jeremy. 2017. Warlpiri Act of Memory. Larry
Jungarrayi's famous drawing of 'The Malaka's House' in the Warlpiri
Drawings Collection. 09.02.17 http://www.amw.org.au/register/listings/warlpiri-drawings-1953-54
* Lajamanu * also many media items such as http://news.aboriginalartdirectory.com/2017/02/warlpiri-act-of-memory-1.php
- Baarda, Frank. 2017. Law, disorder and CAALAS – the view from
Yuendumu. The Northern Myth [blog] 14 Nov 2017 https://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2017/11/14/law-disorder-caalas-view-yuendumu/
- Crispin, Judith. 2016 [appeared 2017] The Lumen Seed: Records
of a Search in the Australian Desert. Foreword by Juno Gemes.
[United States] Daylight
Books, . ISBN 9781942084242 https://daylightbooks.org/products/the-lumen-seed-records-of-a-search-in-the-australian-desert
* contains photographs, drawings and poems about the
indigenous Warlpiri people of Australia's Northern Tanami
Desert [Lajamanu] * AIATSIS library B C932.72/L1
- Brooks, Sally. 2016. Warlpiri people unite under desert skies for
epic Indigenous dance performance. ABC News http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-16/desert-dance-performance-unites-central-australia's-warlpiri/7936872
* Milpirri, 15 October, Lajamanu
- Warlpiri dancers to showcase Australia’s common ground. NIT
(National Indigenous Times) October 4, 2016 http://nit.com.au/warlpiri-dancers-showcase-australias-common-ground/
* Milpirri Kurdiji, Lajamanu, 15 October
- Ngurra Walalja Warra Warra Kanjaku Kurlulu-Warnu Tanami Yapa
Marlpa Walyaku. / Southern Tanami Indigenous Protected Area Storybook
Plan of Management http://www.walyaku.org.au
1 December 2016 at 18:18:40 AEDT
storybook tells it the Warlpiri way. National Indigenous Times
November 23, 2016. http://nit.com.au/ditigal-storybook-tells-warlpiri-way/
* Southern Tanami Indigenous Protected Area (IPA) plan of management
- Bevis, Steve. 2016. New songs and old songlines: Aboriginal
Christianity and post-mission Australia, chapter 7, pages 129-156 in Religion
and non-religion among Australian Aboriginal peoples, edited by
James L. Cox and Adam Possamai. Routledge. * includes Lajamanu and
influence of Rev Graham Paulson https://www.routledge.com/Religion-and-Non-Religion-among-Australian-Aboriginal-Peoples/Cox-Possamai/p/book/9781472443830
- Rennie, Ellie, Eleanor Hogan, Robin Gregory, Andrew Crouch,
Alyson Wright and Julian Thomas. 2016. Internet on the Outstation:
The Digital Divide and Remote Aboriginal Communities. No. 19. 228
pages. Print on Demand. Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures. ISBN:
* Mungalawurru is one of the 3 outstations studied; a preliminary
survey included Ali Curung
- Laughren, Mary. 2016. Desert dreamers: With the Warlpiri people
of Australia [book review]. Australian Aboriginal Studies
* see Glowczewski 2016
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2016. In the company of images. presented to
Refiguring Techniques in Digital-Visual Research
9 September 2016, RMIT University, Melbourne. https://refiguringthevisual.wordpress.com/about/
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella and James Wafer. 2016. "Bilingual time"
Willowra: The beginnings of a community-initiated program, 1976–1977,
In Brian Devlin, Nancy Devlin and Samantha Disbray (eds) History of
bilingual education in the Northern Territory: People, programs and
- Finnane, Kieran. 2016. Trouble : on trial in central Australia.
St Lucia, Queensland. University of Queensland Press. ISBN
9780702254031 * 'Trouble at the turn-off', pp.61–87 (Alekarenge);
'Warlpiri versus the Queen', pp.184–211 (Liam Jurrah trial)
- Biddle, Jennifer Loureide. 2016. Remote avant-garde:
Aboriginal art under occupation. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
ISBN 978-0-8223-6071-1 http://www.dukeupress.edu/remote-avant-garde
* a chapter as well as Introduction are Warlpiri specific * https://books.google.com.au/books?id=zFzSsgEACAAJ
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2016. Continuity and change in
practices of marking the landscape, pp.201–228, Chapter 10 in Marking
the land: Hunter-gatherer creation of meaning in their environment,
edited by William A. Lovis and Robert Whallon. Routledge Studies in
Archaeology. Taylor & Francis. https://books.google.com.au/books?id=z9SjCwAAQBAJ
- Louw, Gretta, Lily Hibberd, Brook Andrew, Curtis Taylor, Jenny
Fraser, Sharon Nampijinpa Anderson and the Warnayaka Art Centre.
Networking the Unseen. [exhibition] 18 June – 14 August 2016,
Furtherfield Gallery, McKenzie Pavilion, Finsbury Park, London N4 2NQ
- [Steve] Jampijinpa [Patrick] and [Gretta] Louw. The Home Within:
YAMA and Ngurra Kurlu. 15/07/2016. YAMA multimedia installation at
Furtherfield Gallery [North London], Warnayaka Art Centre, Neil
Jupurrurla Cooke, & Gretta Louw
- Munn, Nancy. 2016. The Walbiri sand story, chap. 9, pp.231–251 in
The visual narrative reader, edited by Neil Cohn. London:
Bloomsbury Publishing. https://books.google.com.au/books?id=bgOrCgAAQBAJ
* reprinted from 1963
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2016. The Postcolonial Dog, and other dog
tales from Yuendumu, NT. Presented in Anthropology Seminar Series, ANU,
9:30am 23 March.
- Nicholls, Christine Judith. 2016. Friday Essay: land, kinship and
ownership of ‘Dreamings’. The Conversation March 18, 2016
6.19am AEDT https://theconversation.com/friday-essay-land-kinship-and-ownership-of-dreamings-39637
* includes sections 'Warlpiri kinship and the Jukurrpa', 'Kirda and
- 'Dolly Nampijinpa Daniels (Granites): Warlpiri leader, teacher
and artist.' Presented by Natalie Kestecher. PocketDocs, ABC Radio
National. 4 March 2016 9:04AM http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/pocketdocs/dolly-nampijinpa-daniels-warlpiri-leader/7157550
- Eickelkamp, Ute. 2016. Remembering the future: Warlpiri lives
through the prism of drawing. The Asia Pacific Journal of
Anthropology 17.1, 88-91 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14442213.2015.1086470
* review of Hinkson 2014
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2016. Desert dreamers. Minneapolis:
Publishing. ISBN/Code: 9781937561963 322 pages http://www.univocalpublishing.com/univocal-books/desert-dreamers
* an updated translation of Les rêveurs du désert, PLon, 1989 *
"An ethnographic adventure exploring the Warlpiri and their cultural
practices of “the dreaming” in relation to their societal laws, ritual
art, and connection with the cosmos" * reviewed by Laughren 2016
- Bevis, Steve. 2016. Exegeting the Jukurrpa in Warlpiri
Christianity and the struggle over indigeneity, Chapter 6, pages 92-120
in Religious Categories and the Construction of the Indigenous,
edited by Christopher Hartney and Daniel Tower. Supplements to Method
& Theory in the Study of Religion. Brill. https://doi.org/10.1163/9789004328983_007
- Doi, Yukihiro. 2015. Milpirri at Lajamanu as an intercultural
locus of Warlpiri
discourses with others. Thesis (PhD), ANU. http://hdl.handle.net/1885/101475
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2015. Place, personhood and marginalization:
ontology and community in remote desert Australia. Anthropologica
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2015. Review of Melinda Hinkson Remembering
the Future: Warlpiri Life Through the Prism of Drawing (Canberra:
Aboriginal Studies Press 2015) Aboriginal
History 39 http://press-files.anu.edu.au/downloads/press/p332783/html/review14.xhtml?referer=1790&page=33#
- Patrick, Wanta Steve Jampijinpa. 2015. Pulya-ranyi: Winds
of Change. Cultural
Studies Review Special Edition Same but Different (eds.
Biddle and Stefanoff) 21.1,121–31. http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/journals/index.php/csrj/article/view/4420/4754
- Nicholls, Christine. 2015. Obituary: Jeannie Nungarrayi's skill
the Warlpiri language made her an advocate for bilingual programs. Sydney
Morning Herald 5 February 2015 http://www.smh.com.au/comment/obituaries/obituary-jeannie-nungarrayis-skill-in-the-warlpiri-language-made-her-an-advocate-for-bilingual-programs-20150205-136ohd.html
* Jeannie Herbert Punayi Nungarrayi 1953–2014
- Newth, Tim, David McMicken, and Jennifer Biddle. 2015. Milpirri:
Jennifer Biddle in Discussion with Tracks Dance Company. Cultural
Studies Review Special Edition Same but Different (eds.
Biddle and Stefanoff) 21.1,132–48. http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/journals/index.php/csrj/article/view/4421/4755
- Gosford, Bob. 2015. 37
– the only number that matters at the Yuendumu Sports Weekend.
Crikey! blog The Northern Myth Aug 01, 2015 5:29PM
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2015. Devires Totêmicos — Cosmopolítica
do Sonho / Totemic Becomings — Cosmopolitics of the dreaming.
Translated by Jamille Pinheiro Dias e Abrahão de Oliveira Santos. São
Paulo: N-1 publications. http://n-1publications.prosite.com/61727/6302751/catalog/devires-totemicos-totemic-becomings
* includes photos taken at Lajamanu
- Finnane, Kieran. 2015. Yuendumu writes new chapter on the
beginnings of contemporary Western Desert art. Alice Springs News
Posted: July 31, 2015 at 7:58 am http://www.alicespringsnews.com.au/2015/07/31/yuendumu-writes-new-chapter-on-the-beginnings-of-contemporary-western-desert-art/
- Dixon, Robyn. 2015. In Australia's outback, troubled youths find
help in old traditions. Los Angeles Times 4 Jan 2015 http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-australia-honey-ants-20150104-story.html
* Yuendumu, Mt. Theo
- Dixon, Robyn. 2015. Troubled youths find help, and traditions, in
Australia’s outback. Los Angeles Times Published Jan 9, 2015
at 12:02AM http://www.bendbulletin.com/nation/2762550-151/troubled-youths-find-help-and-traditions-in-australias#
* WYDAC, Yuendumu
- [Dussart, Françoise] 2015. Lifelines. Indigenous Contemporary Art
from Australia. 24 Oct 2015 to 5 Sep 2016. Musée de la civilisation
production in collaboration with the University of Virginia's
Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Collection. https://www.mcq.org/en/exposition?id=240296
- [Dussart, Françoise] 2015. Exhibit of Australian Indigenous art
displayed at Quebec City museum. The Canadian Press October 23,
2015 9:43 AM ET http://news.nationalpost.com/life/travel/exhibit-of-australian-indigenous-art-displayed-at-quebec-city-museum
* includes 'The piece "Karrku Jukurrpa" is shown in a handout photo.'
- Corn, Aaron Japangardi and Wantarri Jampijinpa Patrick.
2015. Pulyaranyi: New educational contexts for transferring Warlpiri
JOURNAL IN THE ARTS e-JOURNAL 4.2 issue on 'Indigenous Education In
Australia: Place, Pedagogy and Epistemic Assumptions' http://education.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/1391686/002_CORN_V2.pdf
- Burke, Paul. 2015. Rupture and readjustment of tradition:
autonomy in the feminised Warlpiri diaspora in Australia, Chapter 10,
pp.215-234 in Strings of Connectedness: Essays in
Honour of Ian Keen,
edited by Peter Toner. ANU Press, Canberra. ISBN 9781925022629 (pbk)
http://dx.doi.org/10.22459/SC.09.2015 * reviewed by Ingrid Slotte Aboriginal
History 40(2016) http://press-files.anu.edu.au/downloads/press/n2179/html/review22.xhtml
- Bodey, Elisabeth. 2015?. Negotiating cross-cultural conversations
in painting: How the vocal melodic descent form used in Warlpiri
women’s ceremonies, in association with notational structures of
western composition, can contribute to the formation of a new abstract
visual language in a cross-cultural conversation about place and space
in painting.PhD, Painting, School of Art, ANU. https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/waller-r
Bodey, Small Songs No.3 (detail), 2013. Photograph: Matthew Stanton
- Biddle, Jennifer L. 2015. ‘”My Name is Danny”” Indigenous
Animation as Hyper-realism’ Angelaki 20.3,105-113 http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0969725X.2015.1065127?journalCode=cang20
- Biddle, Jennifer and Lisa Stefanoff. 2015. ‘What is Same but
Different and why does it matter’ Introduction to Cultural Studies
Special Edition (eds. Biddle and Stefanoff) ‘Same but Different:
experimentation and innovation in Desert Arts’ 21.1,97-120 http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/journals/index.php/csrj/article/view/4418/4734
- Biddle, Jennifer with Tim Newth and David McMicken. 2015.
‘Milpirri: Jennifer Biddle in discussion with Tracks Dance Company’ Cultural
Studies Review Special Edition Same but Different (eds.
Biddle and Stefanoff) 21.1,132-148 http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/journals/index.php/csrj/article/view/4421/4735
- Bauer, Jan. 2015. The salty river. Ventnor, Vic.: Twelve
Panels Press. http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/211834373
* first published in German Der
salzige Fluss (Avant-Verlag, Berlin, 2014) * an
autobiographical comic book about a
450km walk along the Larapinta Trail and on to Papunya then Yuendumu
- Chlanda, Erwin. 2014. Desert
council money push leaves questions open. Alice Springs News
online Posted: November 16, 2014 at 12:38 pm * Yuendumu Mediation
& Justice Program (YMJP)
- Daly, Anne & Greg Barrett. 2014.
Independent cost benefit analysis of the Yuendumu Mediation and Justice
Committee. 44 pp. PDF 03/11/2014 http://www.centraldesert.nt.gov.au/sites/centraldesert.nt.gov.au/files/attachments/yuendumu_cba_0.pdf,
- Central Desert Regional Council.
Yuendumu Mediation and Justice Committee — Independent Cost
Benefit Analysis. http://www.centraldesert.nt.gov.au/yuendumu-justice-and-mediation-committee-independent-cost-benefit-analysis
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2014. Monstrous transformations: A case
study from central Australia, pp. 39-55 in Yasmine Musharbash and Geir
Henning Presterudstuen (eds), Monster
anthropology from Australasia and beyond. New York: Palgrave
Macmillan. * abstract
also Yasmine Musharbash's 'Introduction: monsters,
anthropology, and monster studies', pp. 1-24
- Rothwell, Nicolas. 2014. Warlpiri
indigenous art and culture explored by Melinda Hinkson. The
Australian, Review, 22 November 2014 12:00AM
- Waterford, Jack. 2014. S.A.L.V.A.T.I.O.N.
at hand for hapless Aborigines. Canberra Times November 15,
2014 - 11:30PM * Yuendumu
- South, Cath. 2014. Milpirri shows that black or white, we must
understand the country we walk on. Guardian 1 November 2014 http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/01/milpirri-shows-that-black-or-white-we-must-all-understand-the-country-we-walk-on
* "Wanta Jampijinpa Patrick, the creative director of
Milpirri, Lajamanu’s biannual cross-cultural event, says only through
‘listening to country’ can all Australians feel at home in themselves"
- Eccles, Jeremy. 2014. Two senior artists lost to us. Aboriginal
Art Directory 22.10.14 http://news.aboriginalartdirectory.com/2014/10/two-senior-artists-lost-to-us.php
* Shorty Jangala Robertson, Yuendumu
- Hinkson, Melinda, 2014. Drawing Life: Warlpiri lines on a
world. Public lecture, National Museum of Australia, 5pm 15 October
2014. * 'Warlpiri drawings connect past and present', 14 October 2014, http://cass.anu.edu.au/research/news/20141014/warlpiri-drawings-connect-past-and-present
- Corn, Aaron and Wantarri Jampijinpa Patrick.
2014. Singing the winds of change: ethnomusicology and the generation
of new collaborative contexts for the teaching of Warlpiri knowledge
across generations and cultures,pp.147–168 in Katelyn Barney, ed. Collaborative
ethnomusicology: new approaches to music research between Indigenous
and non-Indigenous Australians. Volume 13 of Australasian music
research, ISSN 1325-5266 http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/209102143
Melbourne: Lyrebird Press. * reviewed by Henry Johnson,
SITES: New Series · Vol 12 No 2 · 2015
- Austin, Calum Wilson. 2014. Lily
Nungarrayi Hargraves’s canvases reflect her Warlpiri heritage. The
September 02, 2014 12:00AM
- Mills, Lyn. 2014. Capital airing for desert art. PS Social, page
1, in PS News online, 423. Updated Tuesday, 19
August * http://www.psnews.com.au/aps/InFocuspsn423.html
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2014. Remembering the future : Warlpiri
life through the prism of drawing. Canberra: Aboriginal Studies
Press. * http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/190123792
* reviewed by Eickelkamp 2016
- National Museum of Australia. 2014. Warlpiri Drawings. * 'This
exhibition tells the story of an intriguing collection of Indigenous
artworks created by Warlpiri people in Australia's Northern Territory
in the 1950s ...' http://www.nma.gov.au/exhibitions/warlpiri
- Nicholls, Christine Judith. 2014. Clever women: three Warlpiri
artists, now in Melbourne. The Conversation May 21, 2014 6.20am
- Sleath, Emma. 2014. Early Aboriginal drawings showcased at the
National Museum. ABC Local 14 August, 2014 1:54PM ACST * http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2014/08/14/4066967.htm
- Murray, Duncan. 2014. Aboriginal artists speak from beyond the
grave through crayon drawings. Canberra Times August 14, 2014 -
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2014. Pointing the phone: Transforming
technologies and social relations among Warlpiri. (Special Issue:
Communication Technology and Social Life: Transformation, Continuity,
Disorder and Difference) TAJA 25.2,239–255 * http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/taja.2014.25.issue-2/issuetoc
- Keys, Cathy. 2014. Skin fabric iron shade, pp. 133–143 in Proceedings
of the Society of Architectural Historians, Australia and New
Zealand: 31, Translation, edited by Christoph Schnoor. Auckland,
New Zealand: SAHANZ and Unitec ePress; and Gold Coast, Queensland:
SAHANZ, 2014. https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/data/UQ_337405/Keys.pdf
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2014. From academic heritage to Aboriginal
priorities : anthropological responsibilities, in Australian
Aboriginal Anthropology Today: Critical Perspectives from Europe («
Les actes »). Musée du quai Branly (département de la
recherche et de l’enseignement). [En ligne], mis en ligne le 13 juin
- Box, Lance. Report on Study Leave Semester II 2007: Perspectives
on Education Issues in Lajamanu. 54 pages. https://newgeneva.academia.edu/LanceBox?notification_code=VnwvWwYD
- Jinjilngali, Kurlukuku Minpiya, Yirdingali : Molly
Tasman Napurrurla - Rosie Tasman Napurrurla - Lily Hargraves
Nungarrayi. 7 May – 7 June 2014 exhibition Vivien Anderson Gallery,
Caulfield North, Victoria * 18
Milpirri Festival (Jarda-Warnpa), 1 November, Lajamanu
- Jones, Philip. 2014. Behind
the Doors: An art history from Yuendumu. Adelaide: Wakefield
Press. ISBN 9781743052945. * 2nd edition of Yuendumu Doors.
Kuruwarri (Warlukurlangu Artists 1987)
- Disbray, Samantha. 2014. Evaluating the Bilingual Education
Program in Warlpiri schools, pp.25–46 in Language description
informed by theory, edited by Rob Pensalfini; Myfany Turpin; Diana
Guillemin. Studies in Language Companion Series 147. http://dx.doi.org/10.1075/slcs.147
Amsterdam : John Benjamins B.V.
Abstract: "The Bilingual Education Program in the Northern Territory
was established in 1973 to deliver an effective education to students
in remote Indigenous schools. In 2008, the NT Government closed the
Program, citing low student achievement in English literacy as its
rationale. This chapter evaluates the program according to a wider set
of criteria, with particular focus on the Warlpiri schools. It
considers the training of local staff, community involvement in
schools, the development of curriculum, and extensive literature and
linguistic documentation. These criteria are not prominent in
government evaluations, yet are identified in national and
international literature as key to achieving student outcomes (UNESCO
2008a, 2008b; Silburn et al. 2011) and echo priorities expressed by
Indigenous adults involved in education."
- Turpin, Myfany. 2014. Bibliography of Mary Laughren, pp.15–24 in Language
description informed by theory, edited by Rob Pensalfini; Myfany
Turpin; Diana Guillemin. Studies in Language Companion Series 147. http://dx.doi.org/10.1075/slcs.147
Amsterdam : John Benjamins B.V.
- Box, Lance. 2014. A Proposal to Deschool, then Unschool
Australian Biblical Christian Education. Thesis submitted 30 August
2014 for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the School of Christian
Education, The New Geneva Christian Leadership Academy, Appomattox,
Virginia, U.S.A. * draws on experience at Lajamanu http://www.academia.edu/7970729/Deschooling_Unschooling_Australian_Biblical_Christian_Education
- Campbell, Liam. 2014. [obituary for Paddy Japaljarri Stewart]
Posted on Northern Myth blog, 18 February 2014. http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2014/02/18/vale-paddy-cookie-japaljarri-stewart/
- Chapman, Robert, Miles Holmes, Linda Kelly, Diane Smith, Jayne
Weepers and Alyson Wright. 2014. Yakarra-pardiji-pina: Insights from a
Development Approach to Rebuilding Governance in Aboriginal
Communities. 'for The Lajamanu Community and the Central Land Council'
100pp. May 2014. http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/60164/20160629-0038/www.clc.org.au/files/pdf/Lesssons_Learnt_from_the_Lajamanu_Governence_Project_May_2014.pdf
- NT. Department of Community Services. 2014. Remote Service
Delivery. Lajamanu » Profile. https://web.archive.org/web/20140302162756/http://www.rdia.nt.gov.au/about_us/regional_services/major_remote_towns/lajamanu/profile/
- Curran, Georgia. 2014. The dynamics of collaborative research
relationships: Examples from the Warlpiri Songlines Project, in Special
Section: Collaborative processes across and within disciplinary
boundaries – Guest edited by Sandy
Grace and Alexandra Crowe. 2014. Song, Land and ceremony:
Interpreting the place of songs as evidence for Australian Aboriginal
land claims, in Special Section: Collaborative Processes Across and
Within Disciplinary Boundaries – Guest edited by Sandy Toussaint. Collaborative Anthropologies
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2014. Warlpiri Drawings. The Museum
5 (March-August), 24-29. * exhibition opens August 2014; drawings
collected by Meggitt at Hooker Creek 1953
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2014. Remembering the Future: Warlpiri Life
through the prism of Drawing. Centre for Creative & Cultural
Seminar, 1:15pm-2:15pm 31 March. Teaching Commons, Building 1,
University of Canberra. http://www.canberra.edu.au/events/view/4262
- Newstead, Adrian, with Ruth Hessey. 2014. The dealer is the
devil : an insider's history of the Aboriginal art trade.
Blackheath, N.S.W.: Brandl and
* Chapter 27 'Across the Tanami - the emerging Warlpiri
* launched Tuesday 4 February by Professor the Hon
Marie Bashir, Governor of NSW at Australian Galleries, 15 Roylston
Street, Paddington * http://books.google.com.au/books?id=yDnAAgAAQBAJ
school: teaching in the N.T. Monday 27 January 2014 9:05AM http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lifematters/desert-school3a-teaching-in-the-nt/5215830
* interview with Yuendumu Principal Kylie Johnston
- Nicholls, Christine. 2014. ‘Dreamtime’ and ‘The Dreaming’ –
an introduction. The Conversation blog post 23 January
2014, 6.36am AEST
* includes 4 Warlpiri artworks
- Stewart, Alistair. 2014. Somersaults in the sand: Adventures
in mapping the rocks of the outback. Sydney, Canberra: Halstead
Press. * https://www.angusrobertson.com.au/books/somersaults-in-the-sand-alistair-stewart/p/9781925043037
* geologist who mapped the Mt Theo and Mt Peake 1:250,000 map sheet
areas * pp.81-82 about recording Warlpiri placenames
- Barnes, Rodger Donald. 2013. Building an implementation
framework for agreements with Aboriginal landowners: A case study of
The Granites mine. MPhil thesis, School of Architecture,
University of Queensland. x+192 pages. http://www.nintione.com.au/resource/BarnesR_ImplementationFrameworkAgreementsAboriginalLandownersGranitesMine_MPhil.pdf
- Barwick, Linda, Mary Laughren & Myfany Turpin. 2013.
Sustaining women's Yawulyu/Awelye: Some practitioners' and
learners' perspectives. Musicology Australia 35.2,191-220. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08145857.2013.844491
- Biddle, Jennifer. 2013. ‘Yapa-Kurlangu Jukurrpa (Proper Human
in Art in the Digital Desert: Warnayaka Arts Lajamanu:
- Box, Lance. 2013. Warlpiri Business as Pedagogy: A Learning
ED533 Major Research Thesis as part fulfilment of a Master of
Education. (Leadership). National Institute for Christian
Education, Sydney NSW. 117 pages. https://www.amazon.com/Warlpiri-Business-Pedagogy-Learning-Journey/dp/3659906026
- Burke, Paul. 2013. Warlpiri and the Pacific—Ideas for an
intercultural history of the Warlpiri. Anthropological Forum: A
Journal of Social Anthropology and Comparative Sociology 23.4,
414-427, DOI: 10.1080/00664677.2013.833893
- Burke, Paul. 2013. Indigenous diaspora and the prospects for
cosmopolitan ‘orbiting’: the Warlpiri case. The Asia Pacific
Journal of Anthropology
Special Issue: Special Focus: Anthropology, Public Policy, and Social
Process in Indigenous Australia, edited by Francesca Merlan &
- Buchanan, Geoff. 2013. [Review of Eickelkamp (ed.) 2011.] Anthropological
Forum: A Journal of Social Anthropology and Comparative Sociology
23.3,306- DOI: 10.1080/00664677.2013.755108 * includes review
of Musharbash 2011
- Harrison, Dan. 2013. Northern Exposure. The Age 6
September 2013 http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/northern-exposure-20130905-2t7uk.html
* includes photos at Lajamanu
- Koch, Grace. 2013. We have the song, so we have the land: song
ceremony as proof of ownership in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
land claims. AIATSIS
Discussion Paper No. 33, July 2013. * mentions some Walpiri land
- Louw, Gretta [Napanangka]. 2013. Warnayaka Art Centre: Life
in the Digital Desert.
Lajamanu: Warnayaka Art & Cultural Aboriginal Corporation.
100pp. [numerous contributors, listed on p.98] Concept, coordination,
and design by Gretta Louw. ISBN 978-0-646-90318-7 * http://desart.com.au/tikm/ http://www.idaia.com.au/en/book-warnayaka-art-centre-life-in-the-digital-desert/
* accompanying DVD with the same title
- Nicholls, Christine. 2013. Not even fame is better than family.
[obituary of Dorothy Napangardi] Sydney Morning Herald 29 June
- Nicholls, Christine. 2013. It’s
time we draft Aussie Rules to tackle Indigenous mathematics. The
Conversation 8 July 2013, 6.46am EST http://theconversation.com/its-time-we-draft-aussie-rules-to-tackle-indigenous-mathematics-15032
- Owen, Will. 2013. Coniston.
Posted on July 14, 2013 on Aboriginal Art
& Culture: an American eye * review of the documentary Coniston
(PAW Media, 2012)
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2013. Community development, civil society
and local government in the future of remote Northern Territory growth
towns. The Asia Pacific Journal of Anthropology 14.4,339-352. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14442213.2013.804868
- Paulson, Graham and Mark Brett. 2013. Five smooth stones: Reading
the Bible through Aboriginal eyes. Colloquium
45.2(November), 199-214. * derived partly from conversations at Lajamanu
Yasmine. 2013. Embodied meaning: sleeping arrangements in central
Australia, pp. 45-60 in Katie Glaskin, Richard Chenhall (eds), Sleep
around the world: Anthropological perspectives. New York: Palgrave
- Finnane, Kieran 'Warlpiri
versus the Queen'.
Griffith REVIEW Edition 41 * 'In Alice Springs, the trials of young
Warlpiri men reveal the threads of anarchic Warlpiri resistance to
Australian law. …'
- [media reports of Native Title determination for Mount Doreen PL:]
- [Petersen], Rachael. 2013. Federal
court recognizes native title for Warlpiri. Posted on July 8, 2013
on global native networks
* 'Ngaliya Warlpiri people native title over Mt. Doreen station'
- Brain, Caddie. 2013. Native
title recognised over NT cattle stations. ABC Rural news Tue
Jul 2, 2013 11:43am AEST * 'at Eight Mile Bore on Mount Doreen Station'
owners receive land back 11 July 2013, 6:40 PM NITV item on
SBS World News
- Warlpiri celebrate return of their land http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL-jAm6IgaU
2m05s Published on 11 Jul 2013
- NACLO. 2013. 'Walpiri Kinship Groups' North American Computational
Linguistics Olympiad 2013 NACLO 2013 Problems and Solutions http://nacloweb.org/resources/problems/2013/N2013-O.pdf
* repeated by Bellos 2018
- Szalapski, Robert F. n.d. Warlpiri Kinship Relations and the
Dihedral Group. Posted at https://www.callmedrrob.com/?page_id=1741
* draws on Ascher 1991 
- Carmichael, Bethune and Apolline Kohen. 2013. The forgotten
Yuendumu Men’s Museum murals: Shedding new light on the progenitors of
the Western Desert Art Movement (Research report) Australian
Aboriginal Studies 2013/1,110-6. * abstract
- Louw, Gretta, et al. 2013. Warnayaka Art Centre: Life in the
Digital Desert. Lajamanu: Warnayaka
Indigenous Art Centre. * 100-page, full colour, glossy book and an
accompanying DVD. * YAMA
- Multimedia Art Installation
* 'collaboration between the art centre, its artists, Australian,
German-based multidisciplinary artist Gretta Louw, … Dr Jennifer
Biddle, Dr Barbara Glowczewski, photographers, and other international
- Curran, Georgia. 2013. Associations amongst Aboriginal people,
landscapes, species and ancestral beings: Examples from contemporary
Warlpiri songs and rituals. Paper presented Session F: Religion,
knowledge and mind, Rethinking
Anthropology conference, University of Sydney Department of
Anthropology symposium 13-14 June 2013.
- Saethre, Eirik.
2013. Illness is a weapon: Indigenous identity and enduring
afflictions. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press. * Amazon listing
* cf. Sathre 2003 * Lajamanu
- Nicholls, Christine. 2013. Desert Painter: Art born of the bush. [obituary] Dorothy Napangardi. West Australian Monday 29 July 2013, 61. PDF
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2013. Night, sight, and feeling safe: An
exploration of aspects of Warlpiri and Western sleep. The
Australian Journal of Anthropology 24, 48–63. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/taja.12021
- Burke, Paul. 2013. Indigenous diaspora and the prospects for
cosmopolitan ‘Orbiting’: The Warlpiri case. The Asia Pacific
Journal of Anthropology 14.4 (August 2013) DOI:
art goes to Croatia and Serbia. Flinders News.
Posted on Wednesday, 30 January 2013. * 'Dr Christine Nicholls has
curated two exhibitions of Indigenous art, which she escorted to
- Papers presented at the conference 'Culture and Contest in a
Material World', Australian
Society Annual Conference, 26-28 September 2012, University of
- Dussart, Françoise. 2012. “Self-Control” (Galatians 5:22) and
Indigenous Health in Central Australia. In PANEL 2
MORAL ECONOMIES OF INDIGENOUS SICKNESS AND HEALTH
- Saerthre, Eirik. 2012. Sociality, Responsibility, and
Controlled Health Services in the Northern Territory. In PANEL
2 MORAL ECONOMIES OF INDIGENOUS SICKNESS AND HEALTH *
Community Health Centre
- Curran, Georgia. 2012. Nungarrayi, Jangala and I: The unique
results from collaborative research in Aboriginal communities. In PANEL
3 COLLABORATIVE PROCESSES ACROSS AND WITHIN
DISCIPLINARY BOUNDARIES *
Warlpiri Songlines: project
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2012. Do Kurdaitcha sleep? And if they
what does that mean for anthropology?. In PANEL 7 THE
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2012. Transforming technologies
and forms of
social connectedness among Warlpiri. In PANEL 11
SOCIAL LIVES OF AND ON COMPUTERS, TECHNOLOGY AND THE INTERNET
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2012. On picturing and the politics of
case of the 1950s Warlpiri drawings. In PANEL 26 WHAT
DO IMAGES AND
OBJECTS WANT FROM ANTHROPOLOGISTS? * from 1952-53 Mervyn Meggitt
at Hooker Creek (now Lajamanu)
- Biddle, Jennifer. 2012. ‘Literate Savages: Central Desert
as Writing’, in T. Berman (ed.) No Deal! Indigenous Art and the
Politics of Possession. Santa Fe: SAR Press.
- Nicholls, Christine. 2012. The 1989 Lajamanu ceramics project. A
potted history. The
Journal of Australian Ceramics July 2012,21-27.
- Nicholls, Christine. 2012. Earth works : contemporary
Australian ceramic art. Adelaide: Flinders University Art
9780980520873 (pbk.) * exhibition
1 September – 14 October 2012 * includes a section on the Lajamanu
ceramics programs of 1988 and 1989
- Nicholls, Christine, and Tess Napaljarri
Ross. 2012. Interlocked! Towards an understanding of the intercultural
history of the Yuendumu Doors, 1983 – present. Presented to the National Visual Arts
Education Conference 2012, 23, 24 and 25 January. Tuesday 24 January,
1.30 – 3.00pm. National Portrait Gallery, Terrace Room 2.
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 2012. Tjampijinpa, ‘Stumpy’ Martin
(1932–1986), pp. 512-513 in M Nolan (ed.) Australian Dictionary of
Biography: Volume 18 1981-1990, L-Z. Australian National
University. Carlton: Melbourne University Press. http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/tjampijinpa-stumpy-martin-15660
- Young, James and Karissa Preuss (compliers) and Central Land
Council. 2012. Ngurra walalja warra warra kanjaku = Looking after
: Southern Tanami Indigenous Protected Area Plan of Management 2012.
Alice Springs : Central Land Council. 199pp. ISBN 9780646582894. June
2012. * presented as part of the declaration of the Southern Tanami
IPA, 8 July 2012
Milpirri Festival, 27-28 October, Lajamanu * previously http://www.tracksdance.com.au/2012-milpirri-festival
- Jennings, Bradley. 2012. Central Desert Epistemology: Jukurrpa as
Mode of Knowing -- Warlpiri Dreaming. Honours subthesis, Department
of Anthropology and Sociology, School of Social Sciences, UWA. *
summary in John Morton's obituary: Bradley Jennings 1964–2018, Anthropological
Forum 2019 https://doi.org/10.1080/00664677.2019.1567009
- Dussart, Françoise. 2012. Artists and acrylics as agents of
social change. In Kunga. Carry On. Paris, Flammarion-Skira
Editions pp. 21-45.
- Dussart, Françoise. 2012. Gestures of translation and activism.
In Gestuelles: The Art of Transmission by Aboriginal Desert Women.
Sydney, International Development for Australian Indigenous Art, pp.
- Dussart, Françoise. 2012. Mediating art: Painters of acrylics at
Yuendumu (1983-2011). In Crossing Cultures: The Owen and Wagner
Collection of Contemporary Australian Aboriginal Art at the Hood Museum
of Art. Gilchrist, S. (ed.). University Press of New England, pp.
- Baarda, Frank. 2012. Arena
Magazine 118 (Jun-Jul 2012).
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2013. The cultural politics of radio: Two views
from the Warlpiri public sphere. Chapter 7, pp.142-58 in Radio
fields: Anthropology and wireless sound in the 21st century, edited
by Lucas Bessire and Daniel Fisher. New York: New York University
Press. * http://books.google.com.au/books?id=Y4DuLx1ybJQC&pg=PA142&lpg=PA142
Robert, and Ethnoornithology Research & Study Group. 2012. A tale
of two Goatsuckers - Nightjars in Australian Aboriginal life.
11:40am-12pm Friday 13 April 2012, Ethnoornithology section, Society of Ethnobiology
35th Annual Meeting, Denver, 11–14 April 2012 * abstract
Owlet-nightjar Aegotheles cristatus, 'the role of the bird in
the religious life of the Warlpiri people'
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella and Glenn Edwards. Incorporating
Aboriginal people’s perceptions of introduced animals in
resource management: insights from the feral camel project. Ecological
Management & Restoration. Special
Issue: Indigenous land and sea management in remote Australia
(Guest edited by Dr Emilie Ens) 13.1(January 2012), 65–71. DOI: 10.1111/j.1442-8903.2011.00619.x
Karissa and Madeline Dixon. 2012. ‘Looking after country two-ways’:
Insights into Indigenous community-based conservation from the Southern
Tanami. Ecological Management & Restoration. Special
Issue: Indigenous land and sea management in remote Australia
(Guest edited by Dr Emilie Ens) 13.1(January 2012), 2–15. DOI: 10.1111/j.1442-8903.2011.00631.x
- Glowczewski, Barbara. [compiled and digitised 2007–11]. Archives
de chercheurs: Barbara Glowczewski.
3858 documents. Photos, films, sound recordings of songs and stories,
field note books from Lajamanu Warlpiri people, Central Australia.
Photographies, films, enregistrements de chants et recits, carnets de
terrain chez les Warlpiri de Lajamanu, Australie centrale. ODSAS (Online Digital Sources and
Annotation System) * includes Lajamanu collections (1979-1984)
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2011. Between spectacle and politics:
Indigenous singularities, Chapter 1 in The
challenge of Indigenous peoples: Spectacle or politics?,
edited by Barbara Glowczewski & Rosita Henry. Cumnor, Oxford, UK:
The Bardwell Press. Hardback ISBN 978-1-905622-26-9, eBook ISBN
978-1-905622-40-5 * interview
with Barbara Glowczewski on publication at Sorosoro
- Gosford, Bob. 2011. They took our culture – now there is no law. Overland
literary journal 202 (Autumn 2011) https://overland.org.au/previous-issues/issue-202/essay-bob-gosford/
- Rennie, Ellie. 2011. Home internet for remote Indigenous
A consumer research report by the ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative
Industries and Innovation, the Centre for Appropriate Technology and
the Central Land Council. 77 page PDF. Sydney: Australian
Communications Consumer Action Network. http://apo.org.au/node/30427
- Rennie, Ellie. 2011. Internet on the outstation. Inside Story
9 May 2011. http://insidestory.org.au/internet-on-the-outstation
* Mungalawurru outstation; photo of Clinton Walker and Miles Lauder
- West, Margie (ed.). 2011. Yulyurlu Lorna Fencer Napurrurla.
Adelaide: Wakefield Press.
* essays by Barbara Ambjerg Pedersen, Chips Mackinolty and Christine
Nicholls * Louise Partos * about the Lajamanu artist
- Walker, Jane. 2011. Processes for the effective management:
Learning from agencies and Warlpiri People involved in managing the
Northern Tanami Indigenous Protected Area. PhD thesis, Faculty of Law,
Education, Business and Arts, Charles Darwin University.
http://espace.cdu.edu.au/view/cdu:13192 * "80,000-word
thesis that examines the management of a large and fragile portion of
the Northern Tanami Desert near Lajamanu" http://ext.cdu.edu.au/newsroom/a/2010/Pages/AliceSpringscampustocelebratefirstPhDgraduate.aspx
- Nicholls, Christine. 2011. Correspondence [response to Noel Pearson’s essay
https://www.quarterlyessay.com.au/correspondence/correspondence-christine-nicholls * response to Noel Pearson 'Radical Hope: education and equality
in Australia', Quarterly Essay 35(Sept
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2011. Warungka: becoming and unbecoming a
Warlpiri person, Chapter 3 in Growing up in central
Australia: new anthropological studies of Aboriginal childhood and
adolescence, edited by in Ute Eickelkamp. Oxford, New York :
Berghahn Books. * reviewed by Buchanan 2013
- Mackinnon, Bruce Hearn. 2011. The Liam Jurrah
story: from Yuendumu to the MCG. Carlton, Vic.: Melbourne
University Publishing. * also an e-book
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2011. Is the Aboriginal landscape sentient?
Animism, the New Animism and the Warlpiri. Oceania
81.2,167-179. * cf Peterson 2007
- Dussart, Françoise. 2011. Women's acrylic paintings from
Yuendumu. In How Aborigines invented the idea of contemporary art
(ed.) Ian McLean, Sydney, Power Publications. pp. 189-192.
- Brown, Tasman, Grant C Townsend, Sandra K Pinkerton and James R
Rogers. 2011. Yuendumu: legacy of a longitudinal growth study in
University of Adelaide Press. A$35.00 Paperback ISBN 978-0-9807230-9-0
ISBN 978-0-9870730-0-6 * launched 30 June 2011 * longitudinal
study of human growth, commenced 1951; includes many photographs from
1950s-60s and background on Yuendumu
- Musharbash, Yasmine
& Marcus Barber (eds). 2011. Ethnography & the Production
of Anthropological Knowledge:
Essays in honour of Nicolas Peterson. ISBN 9781921666971 ISBN
9781921666964 (Online) ANU EPress.
- Morton, John. 2011. Splitting the atom of kinship: Towards
understanding of the symbolic economy of the Warlpiri fire
- Curran, Georgia. 2011. The ‘Expanding Domain’ of Warlpiri
- Saethre, Eirik. 2011. Demand sharing, nutrition and Warlpiri
health: The social and economic strategies of food choice
- Stojanovski, Andrew. 2010. Dog Ear Café : how the Mt Theo
program beat the curse of petrol sniffing. Melbourne : Hybrid
Publishers. * blogged 25 July 2010 Life
among the Warlpiri by Jane Simpson
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella and
Glenn Edwards. 2010. From beast of burden to symbol of the
/ Feral animal: the metamorphoses of the camel in central Australia. In
'The Heartland: Voices from Central Australia Part 2' issue, Dialogue
Petronella. 2010. Changes in Aboriginal perceptions of feral
camels and of their impacts and management. The
Rangeland Journal 32,73-85. doi:10.1071/RJ09055 * communities
surveyed include Willowra, Yuendumu, Nyirrpi
- Purdon, Ailsa. 2010. Living in the mainstream. Ngoonjook:
Journal of Australian Indigenous Issues 35,-43.
AIATSIS Library Annotation: Outlines the activities of the incorporated
association Warlpiripatukurlangujaru, which is an association of
Warlpiri teachers and Elders interested in supporting the development
of curriculum and material for Warlpiri bilingual programs in schools
attended by Warlpiri children
- Owen, Will. 2010. A
brief history in Yuendumu. Posted on July 17, 2010. * review of
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2010. Warlpiri fears/whitefella fears: Ways
of being in Central Australia seen through an emotion. Emotion,
Space and Society 3.2(December), 95-102. DOI: 10.1016/j.emospa.2009.12.001
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2010. Marriage, love magic, and adultery:
Warlpiri relationships as seen by three generations of anthropologists.
Oceania 80.3(Nov), 272-288.
- MacNeill, Kate. 2010. Identity and the political:
(Im)possibilities of collaboration. Third Text
* on collaboration between Dolly Nampijinpa Daniels and Anne Mosey
fabrique des images = the image factory.
du mardi 16 février 2010 au dimanche 11 juillet 2011. commissariat :
Philippe Descola. the quai Branly Museum * includes art from Yuendumu
- Holmes, Miles. 2010. Law for Country: The structure and
application of Warlpiri ecological knowledge. PhD Thesis. School of
English, Media Studies and Art History, The University of Queensland. http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:239731
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2010. Seeing more than black and white:
Aboriginality at Australia's National Portrait Gallery. AUSTRALIAN Humanities
Review 49,5-28. Edited by Monique Rooney and Russell Smith * https://www.academia.edu/787849/Seeing_More_than_Black_and_White_Picturing_Aboriginality_at_Australias_National_Portrait_Gallery
Robert. 2010. Sources, material and methodology: Warlpiri bird
knowledge research, presented to Rangeland
Biology and Ecology Seminars, 12.30pm Friday 5 February, CDU Lecture
Theatre HE, Alice Springs.
2010. (Guest Editor with C. Schwarz) Engaging Christianity in
Aboriginal Australia. The Australian Journal of Anthropology.
Special Invited Issue. Volume 21.
2010. De la terre à la toile. Peintures acryliques de
l’Australie centrale [From the ground to the canvas. Acrylic paintings
Australia] pp.138-145 in La fabrique des images,
ed. by Philippe Descola. Paris: Le Musée du Quai Branly and Somogy
Françoise. 2010. “It is hard to be sick now”:
Diabetes and the reconstruction of indigenous sociality. Anthropologica
* data from 2006 and 2007
- Dickson, Greg. 2010. No Warlpiri, no school? A preliminary look
at attendance in Warlpiri schools since introducing the first four
hours of English policy. Ngoonjook: Journal of Australian
Indigenous Issues 35, -113.https://www.academia.edu/6571477/No_Warlpiri_no_school_A_preliminary_look_at_attendance_in_Warlpiri_schools_since_introducing_the_First_Four_Hours_of_English_policy_2010_
- Curran, Georgia. 2010. Contemporary ritual practice in an
Aboriginal settlement: the Warlpiri Kurdiji ceremony. Thesis
(Ph.D.), Department of Archaeology and Anthropology, Australian
- Watts, Lisa Patricia. 2009. A political ecology of Warlpiri water
rights : a denial of access and land alienation to perennial water
sources on leased lands in the Western Desert. Thesis (Ph.D.),
University of Melbourne, Faculty of Land and Food Resources. * AIATSIS
Library MAR12/061 * Uni Melbourne library
- Trofimov, Yaroslav. 2009. 'Tough Love' in the Outback :
Australia's push to help Aborigines is upending tribal customs -- and
giving women an unlikely boost. World News section. Wall Street
Journal, 17 January 2009. * with gallery of 8 colour photographs * http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123214753161791813.html
* almost all about Yuendumu
K and Petronella Vaarzon-Morel. 2009. Aboriginal burning issues in the
southern Tanami: towards understanding tradition-based fire knowledge
in a contemporary context, Chapter 3,pp.79–186 in Desert
Fire: fire and regional land management in the arid landscapes of
Australia, edited by GP Edwards and GE Allan. DKCRC Report
37. Desert Knowledge Cooperative Research Centre, Alice Springs.
presented to ‘Global Desert Opportunities’, Desert
Knowledge Symposium, Alice Springs, November 2006
2009. Warlpiri women and acrylics. Essay/catalogue for Yuru-yururla:
Women's Painting from Yuendumu exhibitions at Kluge Ruhe Museum,
January-May 2009; and The Australian Embassy, Washington DC, May-Sep
Françoise. 2009. Diet, diabetes, and relatedness in a central
Australian Aboriginal settlement: Some qualitative recommendations to
facilitate the creation of
culturally-sensitive health promotion initiatives. Health
Promotion Journal of Australia 20.3,202-207.
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2009. Anything
new? Marriage, love magic, and adultery: Warlpiri relationships as seen
by three generations of anthropologists. Presented 17 September 2009,
Department of Anthropology Research Seminar Series, University of
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2009. Yuendumu everyday. Produced by
Catherine Zengerer. Stories for Thursday, 28 May 2009. MP3
Wire [a daily current
affairs program broadcast on Community and Indigenous radio stations
around Australia] * "Yasmine Musharbash […] found was a
contradiction between the Warlpiri way of living and organising their
lives around their extended families and the type of dwellings that
suit their values… and what the Australian government is trying to
impose upon them in terms of how they should live and what their houses
should look like."
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2009. 'Only whitefella
take that road': Culture seen through the prism of the Intervention at
Yuendumu, pp. 212-25 in J. Altman and M. Hinkson (eds) Culture
Crisis: Anthropology and Politics in
Aboriginal Australia. Sydney: UNSW Press.
- Morton, John. 2009. Splitting the Atom of Kinship: The
Economy of the Warlpiri Fire Ceremony. Presented 29 April to Department
of Anthropology, RSPAS, The Australian National University. * abstract
- Knight, Anneli. 2009. A Knight's tale. Toyota Driver's World
p.37 Mt Theo Training workshop and Peter Malden; Francis Kelly; at
- Knight, Anneli. 2009. A Knight's tale. 4x4
Australia, 304(May 2009),62-68. * p.68 overnight
stay at Yuendumu, chat with Francis Kelly
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2009. Media images and the politics of hope,
pp. 229-47 in J. Altman and M. Hinkson (eds) Culture Crisis:
Anthropology and Politics in
Aboriginal Australia. Sydney: UNSW Press.
- Goldsworthy, Peter. 2009. Australia's
Aboriginal Art. T+L Travel and Leisure May 4, 2009. Time
Inc. Affluent Media Group. * includes visit to Warlukurlangu, Yuendumu
- Burke, Paul. 2009. Warlpiri diaspora - concepts and some initial
impressions. ANU Anthropology Seminar, 21 October 2009.
P & K. Gabrys. 2008. Fire on the horizon: Contemporary
burning issues in the Tanami Desert, central Australia. GeoJournal
(Springer Netherlands) DOI: 10.1007/s10708-008-9235-8 http://www.springerlink.com/content/k7740p03727j7lj/
- Vaarzon-Morel, P. 2008. Key stakeholder
perceptions of feral camels: Aboriginal community survey.
DKCRC Report 49. Desert Knowledge Cooperative Research Centre, Alice
Springs. * also as: Key
stakeholder perceptions of feral camels: Aboriginal community survey
(abridged), Chapter 5, pp.79-124 in Edwards GP, B Zeng B, WK Saalfeld,
P Vaarzon-Morel & M McGregor. 2008. (eds). Managing
the impacts of feral camels in Australia: a new way of doing business.
DKCRC Report 47. * Desert Knowledge Cooperative Research
Centre, Alice Springs. http://desertknowledgecrc.com.au/publications/research.html
- Preuss, Karissa. 2008. Generating Aboriginal Livelihoods
Land Management?: A Warlpiri case study. Presentation 12-1pm Thursday
10 April, Fenner School of Environment and Society, WK Hancock Building
43, Australian National University. * relates to Livelihoods
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2008. Just humming: The consequence of the
decline of learning contexts among the Warlpiri, pp. 114-118 in J.
Kommers and E. Venbrux (eds.) Cultural styles of knowledge
transmission: Essays in honour of Ad Borsboom. Amsterdam,
Netherlands: Askant Academic Publishers.
- Pawu-Kurlpurlurnu (Steven Jampijinpa) WJ. 2008. Milpirri:
Performance as a bridge that joins the ancient with the modern.
Unpublished Paper Presented at symposium on Intangible Cultural
Heritage, Australian National University, Monday 18 February, in
association with the 3rd
conference of the UNESCO Memory of the World Programme. PDF
at Tracks Dance
- Pawu-Kurlpurlurnu, Wanta Jampijinpa (Steven Jampijinpa
Miles Holmes, and Lance (Alan) Box. 2008. Ngurra-kurlu: A way of working
Warlpiri people. DKCRC
Report 41. Alice Springs: Desert Knowledge
ISBN: 1 74158 087 0 (Print copy) ISBN: 1 74158 088 9 (Online copy)
ISSN: 1832 6684 * https://www.academia.edu/8700687/Ngurra-kurlu_A_way_of_working_with_Walrpiri_people
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2008. Sorry
business is Yapa way:
mortuary rituals as embodied practice, in Mortality, mourning and mortuary
in indigenous Australia / [edited] by Katie
Tonkinson, Yasmine Musharbash & Victoria Burbank. Aldershot,
England ; Burlington, Vermont: Ashgate.
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2008. Yuendumu everyday : intimacy,
and mobility in a remote Aboriginal settlement.
Aboriginal Studies Press. * reviewed by Will Owen in 'Yuendumu
nights' posted Monday, March 9, 2009 2:38 * reviewed
by D. Lawrence-Zúñiga in Anthropological Forum
20.1 (March 2010)
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2008. Perilous laughter: examples of
Yuendumu, Central Australia. Anthropological Forum
Special Issue: You've got to be joking! Anthropological perspectives on
Humour and Laughter from Australia (Guest Editors: Yasmine Musharbash
and John Carty)
- Granites, Cecily Napanangka. 2008. I
remember when lots of white people took the children away. The
Age [newspaper], 29 February 29 2008. * about Yuendumu in 1950s
- Gibson, Paddy. 2008. Yuendumu opposes intervention measures. Solidarity 4
(June 2008),5. * cover image: Harry Nelson, president Yuendumu
Glen P., G. E. Allan, C. Brock, A. Duguid, K. Gabrys and P.
Vaarzon-Morel. 2008. Fire and its management in central
Australia. The Rangeland Journal 30,109-121.
doi: 10.1071/RJ07037 * covers southern Tanami region
- Egan, Ted. 2008. Due inheritance : reviving the cultural and
economic wellbeing of first Australians : a model for consideration.
Nightcliff, N.T.: Niblock Publishing. * pp47-51 Willowra 1971-, pp83-95
alcohol, p100 AFL Yuendumu * Table
of contents * Trove
- Campbell, Liam. 2008. Darby
Jampijinpa Ross : make it good for the people. Nathan, Qld
'A Griffith Artworks and Warlukurlangu Artists Aboriginal Association
project' - t.p.
'Author/Editor: Simon Wright. With contributions by: Liam Campbell,
Cecila Alfonso, Otto Jungurrayi Sims. Exhibited: DELL Gallery at
Queensland College of Art, 226 Grey Street, South Bank Qld 4101, 23
August - 28 September 2008. Araluen Centre for the Arts, Larapinta
Drive, Alice Springs, NT 0871, 22 November - 25 January 2009.' - verso
of cover. * AIATSIS Library call number Rp DAR (A)
- Biddle, Jennifer L. 2008. Festering boils and screaming canvases:
Culture, contagion and why place no longer matters. Emotion, Space
and Society 1,97–101. doi: 10.1016/j.emospa.2009.02.006
- Baarda, Frank. 2008. Money
and respect. Posted on Transient
Languages blog, 3 March 2008 *
- Anthony, Thalia and Robert Chapman. 2008. Unresolved
Warlpiri Law, Police powers and land rights. Indigenous
Law Bulletin 7.5 (May 2008), 9-10, 16-18. * about events at
Lajamanu, January 2008
- Watts, Lisa Patricia and Simon Fisher. 2007. A Political
of Warlpiri water rights: land alienation and denial of access to
perennial water sources on leased lands, in session 'Engaged political
ecologies: towards advocacy and policy relevance 2', Tuesday 17 April
2007 16:00 PM. Association
American Geographers (AAG) 2007 Annual Meeting * abstract
- Small, Meredith F. 2007. Boredom:
A sinful, puzzling, modern thing. Live
Science * Yasmine Musharabash's study at
- Skelton, Russell. 2007. How
hard is Howard's way?
Age 1 July 2007 * children interviewed at Yuendumu
- Schwab, RG. 2006. Final report to the Warlpiri Education
Training Trust Advisory Committee: Options for Education and Training,
15 September 2006. CAEPR,
web version [PDF]. * "A comprehensive report
variety of options for remote education and training."
- Saethre, Eirik.
2007. Close encounters: UFO beliefs in a remote Australian Aboriginal
community. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute
13.4,901-915. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-9655.2007.00463.x * abstract
- Saethre, Eirik.
2007. Conflicting traditions, concurrent treatment: medical
pluralism in Aboriginal Australia. Oceania 77.1, 95-110.
- Rose, Hélène. 2007. La place de l'animal dans la
culture aborigène (Australie), des origines à nos jours. N-2007-026
thesis, L’Ecole Nationale Vétérinaire de Nantes (ENVN),
France. * annexes draw on publications of Barbara Glowczewski
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2007. Animism in Australia? A Warlpiri
perspective on metaphor. Presented to ANU Anthropology
9:30am Wednesday 30 May, Coombs Building, Seminar Room A, ANU. * see
- Owen, Will. 2007. Warlpiri
woman: engaging the physical in Aboriginal art. [review of
Culture: an American eye [blog] Posted Sun, Apr 22,
- Nicholls, Christine. 2007. Reconciling accounts: An analysis of
Stephen Gray's The artist is a thief, pp.75-104 in The pain
of unbelonging: alienation and identity in Australasian literature,
edited by Sheila Collingwood-Whittick. Amsterdam ; New York, NY:
Rodopi. Print ISBN 9789042021877 eBook ISBN 9789401204279 http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/32392169
* includes a summary of her time at Lajamanu school (1982–92), and an
appreciation of †Maurice Luther Jupurrurla, and of †Peggy Rockman
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2007. Sleeping, emotions, and the
ethnographic analysis from Yuendumu, central Australia. Presented
5.15pm Wed 16 May, Seminar Room (B1.24), 221 Bouverie Street.
Contemporary Societies & Cultures, Anthropology &
Program Seminars, Symposia and Debates, School of Social &
Environmental Enquiry, The University of Melbourne.
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2007. Ideas and Images of Home: An
ethnographic interpretation of photographs by Yuendumu youths. 19th
Discipline of Anthropology and Sociology, School of Social
Cultural Studies, UWA.
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2007. Fuelling the Feud? An Analysis
Social and Institutional Engagement in a Feud and of the Limitations of
Participant Observation. Presented Thursday 1 November in session
'Ethnographies of Governing and the Anthropology of States' of
'Transforming Economies, Changing States', Australian
Society Annual Conference, 30 October – 2 November, ANU,
- Musharbash, Yasmin. 2007. Boredom, time, and modernity: An
example from Aboriginal Australia. American Anthropologist
109.2,307–317. DOI: 10.1525/AA.2007.109.2.307. * Yuendumu
- Littleton, Judith. 2007. The production of local biologies:
Childhood development at Yuendumu to 1970. Current Anthropology
48.1 (February 2007),135-145. DOI: 10.1086/510462 http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/510462
- Latz, Peter. 2007. The
flaming desert : Arid Australia – a fire shaped landscape.
Springs: The author. * launched
19 December 2007, Olive Pink Botanical Gardens, Alice Springs
- Griffiths, Jay. 2007. Wild:
Hamish Hamilton. ISBN 978 0 241 14152 6 ISBN-10:
reviewed by Patrick Curry, TLS
No.5471, February 8 2008, 26: 'One
Warlpiri aboriginal man tells her, with grim acuity, "We say money is
the whitefella Dreaming".'
- Goldberg, Stephen J. 2007. Triangulating the Framing of
Engagement: Introducing the Art and Culture of the Warlpiri Aborigines
into the Equation. Presented to the New York
Conference on Asian
Studies - Decentering Asia, SUNY Binghamton, 27
'argued for the importance of cross-cultural comparative studies while
destabilizing the customary "dualistic global usage" of East-West
- Elias, Derek J. 2007. The measure of dreams, Chapter 11 in Customary land Tenure and
Australia and Papua New Guinea
edited by James F. Weiner and Katie Glaskin. Canberra: ANU E
- Davis, Michael. 2007. Writing
heritage: The depiction of indigenous heritage in European-Australian
Scholarly Publishing & National Museum of Australia
1 74097 144 2 * launched 12 December * pp.274-5 on JB Cleland's
advocacy following his 1936 visit to The Granites
- Bradley, Donna. 2007. Kurdu Kurdu Kurlangu Childcare
Yuendumu. Kid's Tracks 6
(July), 1-4. *
23 August 2006 * a publication of NT
- Biddle, Jennifer. 2007. Affect and interculture art: Why it
matters. Presented to ANU
Anthropology Seminars, 9:30am Wednesday 7 March, Coombs
Seminar Room A, ANU.
- Biddle, Jennifer. 2007. Breasts,
bodies, canvas: Central desert art as experience.
Press. * launch 23 March by Rosie Napurrurla Tasman and her daughter,
Lynette Napangardi Tasman, at COFA Space Foyer College of Fine Arts
Campus, Paddington * reviewed by Will Owen 2007
from the Heart, The
every second Monday from July; including
guardians, 12 October.
Jeeves, Jessica. 2007. Reaching
mainstream the yapa way, 12 October.
the songlines. Researchers are working with Warlpiri elders
record, transcribe and interpret disappearing dreaming songs that are
the basis of Warlpiri culture. ANU Reporter,
wow the Algiers desert people festival crowd. National
Indigenous Times Issue 121, 25 Jan 2007 *
Touring Arts presented the Warlpiri and Warumungu Dancers at the
Development, CSIRO. 2 page PDF * Chris Harwood and Jock Morse
Rosie Nangala and †Kay Napaljarri Ross visit Niger; photos * 28
Oct 2007 version at archive.org
- Pawu-kurlpurlurnu (Steven Jampijinpa Patrick) WJ. 2006.
Milpirri. Unpublished paper presented at the Garma Festival,
- Shelley, Tony. 2006. Making native title mediation work: A
practical example with the Walpiri people. (National Native Title
Tribunal.) Presented as 'Future act mediations: components of the
process and some tools that can help the parties (a case study)' to the
annual conference, 24-26 May 2006, Darwin. 17
slides in PDF, 22 June 2006. * Yuendumu
- Rothwell, Nicolas. 2006. Cultural tapestry of an
life. Weekend Australian 26-27 August 2006 Review,
R12. * review of Campbell 2006
- Preuss, Karissa & Jean Napanangka Brown. Stopping
sniffing in remote Aboriginal Australia: key elements of the Mt Theo
Program. Drug and
25 (May 2006), 189–193.
- Nicholls, Christine. 2006. Yilpinji : love, art and ceremony.
Fishermans Bend, Victoria: Craftsman House. http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/44724309
* mainly about "Kukatja and Warlpiri people"
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2006. Sleep, Emotions, and the Body:
Warlpiri sleeping arrangements as corporeal expressions of emotions.
Presented Friday 20 October to Anthropology & Sociology
Discipline of Anthropology and Sociology, School of Social and Cultural
Studies, University of Western Australia.
- Gabrys, K., R. Tuckwell and P. Vaarzon-Morel. 2006.
Aboriginal perceptions and practices concerning fire in the southern
Tanami Desert: a report on a scoping study. * presented to ‘Global
Desert Opportunities’, Desert Knowledge Symposium, Alice
Springs, November 2006
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2006. Lines
and Criss-crossings: Hyperlinks in Australian Indigenous Narratives.
Presented in 'Patrimoine et nouvelles technologies', 27 March, Colloque
du cinéma ethnographique à l'anthropologie visuelle :
bilan, nouvelles technologies, nouveaux terrains, nouveaux languages. Le
25eme Bilan du Film, 25-27 March, Musée de l'Homme, Paris.
- Edwards, Rebecca. 2006. Changing times for Darby Ross. Courier Mail 23
review of Campbell 2006
- Campbell, Liam. 2006. Darby: one hundred years of life
changing culture. ABC
Books for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Alice
N.T. : Warlpiri Media Association. 230pp. * biography of Darby
Jampijinpa late of Yuendumu * reviewed by Rothwell 2006 * excerpted in
FATSIL Newsletter January 2007
- Campbell, Liam. 2006. Journeying together [manuscript] :
Warlpiri identities and sharing stories. Thesis
fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy,
for Australian Indigenous Studies, Monash University. v. 1-2
accompanying CD inside v. 2 (Darby
one hundred years of life in a changing culture. Published
Sydney : ABC Books for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation ; Alice
Springs, N.T. : Warlpiri Media Association, 2006)
- Akuffo, Ferdinand. 2006. Zambia: Aboriginal Australian Media. The
Post (Lusaka) 26 June 2006. http://allafrica.com/stories/200606260429.html
* Warlpiri graphics
Robert. 2006. A Warlpiri Ornithorium: Birds, Culture, and
in a Central Australian Desert. Presented to the Animal-Human
Relationships session, 8 April 2006, in 'Exploring Religion, Nature and
Culture' the Inaugural
Conference of The International Society for the Study of Religion,
Nature & Culture, April 6-9th 2006, University of
also presented as 'Warlpiri bird knowledge' to Rangeland
Biology and Ecology Seminars, 12.30pm Tuesday 16 May, CSIRO
Conference Room, Alice Springs * also presented as 'Ethno-biological
source material for avian population histories: an assessment of
material relevant to the avian population of three central Australian
bioregions', 2-2:45pm, CRES Student Conference Day, 13 June 2006, CRES
Seminar Room, ANU. * also presented as 'A central Australian
ornithorium: birds, country and culture in a central Australian
Ornithologists Group Monthly Meeting, 8pm, 14 June 2006 *
presented to Alice Springs Field Naturalists, 12 October 2006 * 'A
Central Australian Ornithorium: Birds, country and culture in a central
Australian desert', 16pp. Word document posted to the Ethno-ornithology
Research & Study Group 1 November 2006
- Saethre, Eirik J. 2005. Nutrition, economics, and food
distribution in an Australian Aboriginal community. Anthropological
- Schwarz, Carolyn. 2005 (appeared May 2006). Review of
Jordan 2004. Australian Aboriginal
- Rivett, Mary Irene. 2005. Yilpinji art 'love magic' :
changes in representation of yilpinji
'love magic' objects in the visual arts at Yuendumu. Thesis
(M.A.(St.Art.Hist.)) — University of Adelaide, Master of Arts (Studies
in Art History), School of History and Politics, Discipline of History,
January 2005. http://adelaide.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/SUA:Everything:ALMA21111477740001811
- Poirier, Sylvie. 2005. A world of relationships:
dreams, and events in the Australian Western Desert. (Anthropological Horizons) University
Press. * focuses on Balgo, with mentions of Warlpiri * French version
- Paltridge, Rachel. 2005. Fire patterns and threatened
the Tanami Desert. The Web (Spring
2005), 8-9. *
- Nicholls, Christine. 2005 (appeared May 2006). Review of
Glowczewski 2001 Dream
Aboriginal Studies 2005/2,72-74. http://portal.unesco.org/science/en/files/4962/11492502241Glowczewski-Nicholls.pdf/Glowczewski-Nicholls.pdf
- Mann, Rosemary Helen. 2005. Look
wide - searching for health in the borderlands: experiences of disease
prevention and health promotion in a Central Australian indigenous
settlement. PhD thesis, Centre for Health and Society, Faculty of
Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences. PDF
University of Melbourne ePrints Repository http://repository.unimelb.edu.au/10187/1806
* based at Yuendumu clinic
- Littleton, J and GC Townsend. 2005. Linear enamel
historical change in a central Australian community. Australian Dental Journal
50.2,101-107. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.2005.tb00348.x *
- Lawrence, Rebecca. 2005. Governing Warlpiri subjects:
employment and training programs in the central Australian mining
43.1(March),40–48 * see Lawrence 2002
- Keller, Janet Dixon. 2005. Review
Glowczewski 2001 Dream
[CD-ROM]. News and Reviews Spring 2005
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2005. A different invention: Beyond Eric
Michaels and towards an understanding of inter-cultural engagement in
media practice at Yuendumu. In Luke Taylor, Graeme Ward, Graham
Henderson, Richard Davis & Lynley Wallis (eds) The Power of Knowledge, The
Tradition. Canberra: Aboriginal Studies Press. * presented
AIATSIS conference, Canberra, November 2001
Barbara. 2005. Returning Indigenous knowledge in central Australia:
'this CD-ROM brings everybody to the mind', pp.145-160 in The
power of knowledge, the resonance of tradition : electronic publication
of papers from the AIATSIS Indigenous Studies Conference, September 2001,
edited by Graeme Ward and Adrian Muckle. * author's
PDF copy * about making with 50 Warlpiri artists from Lajamanu the
CD-ROM: Dream trackers. Yapa Art and Knowledge of the Australian
Desert (Unesco 2000)
- Eller, Jack David. 2005. Review of At home in the
world. Anthropology Review Database.
August 12. Electronic document, http://wings.buffalo.edu/ARD/cgi/showme.cgi?keycode=1748,
accessed March 19, 2010 * review of Jackson 1995
- Davidson, A.A. Journal. Facsimile
edition 2005. Preface
and notes by Valmai Hankel. Adelaide: State Library of SA. * notice
- Biddle, Jennifer. 2005. Not so much cruising as kicking:
affective animation of Central Desert women’s art. Presented 27 May
2005 to Cruising
Country symposium, Centre for Cross-Cultural Research, The
Australian National University, Canberra.
Robert. 2005. A Warlpiri Ornithorium: Birds, culture and
in an Australian desert. Presented 11:50am-12:10pm, 8
the Ethno-ornithology Symposium, Third Australasian
Ornithological Conference, St Mary’s Parish Centre, Blenheim,
Zealand, December 2005. * Abstract form http://osnz.org.nz/Media/2005_AOC_abstracts.doc.:
present preliminary results of my research into extrinsic sources of
data and information concerning the bird knowledge of the Warlpiri
people, the traditional Aboriginal owners of much of the Tanami Desert
in central Australia. I will investigate the potential that Aboriginal
ornithological knowledge may have to contribute to avian conservation,
management and knowledge of arid-zone biodiversity. The Tanami Desert
is a good example of a well-defined region where local Aboriginal
knowledge may be able to make such a contribution."
- Yapakurlangu landcare rangers on the go in the Tanami. Land
Rights News 6.2 (July 2004), 7.
- Wild, Stephen. 2004. Warlpiri and Anbarra creativity: A
comparison. * Presented to the CCR
Summer Seminar Series, 30 March 2004 12:30-2pm, Theatrette,
Canberra House * Presented to the Symposium
International Musicological Society 2004, Wednesday 14 July,
- Traps for young rangers. Land Rights News
2004), 17. * Wulaign Rangers, Lajamanu
- Rothwell, Nicolas. 2004. Santiago
dreaming Weekend Australian 1-2 May 2004 Review,
pages R16-R17 * "Two glamorous Chileans have fetched up at the same art
community 300km from Alice Springs" Yuendumu
- Povinelli, Elizabeth A. 2004. Review of Dussart 2000. American
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2004. The myth of the 'walkabout':
the Aboriginal domain, pp. 223-238 in Population mobility and
Indigenous peoples in Australasia and North America, ed. by
Taylor and Martin Bell. (Routledge Research in Population and
Migration, 4) London: Routledge.
- Nicholls, Christine. 2004. Dorothy Napangardi: une place sur
la carte et une place dans l’histoire de l’art, pp. 163–169 in Théories et Pratiques de
la Création II,
la création au féminin, Cahiers
Internationaux de symbolisme Numéros 107–108–109. Le Centre
Interdisciplinaire D’Etudes Philosophiques de l’Université de
Moin-Hainaut (Ciéphum), Belgium, ISSN 0008-0284.
- New Warlpiri magazine hits the streets. Land
6.2 (July 2004), 11. * Junga Yimi May-Aug 2004
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2004. Bodies under blankets: on the
significance of sleeping with others. Presented to Session 5: 'Shiver
and passage: Anthropological explorin comportment, culture and everyday
Anthropological Society Annual Conference 2004 'Moving
Anthropology: Motion, Emotion and Knowledge', University of Melbourne,
28 September - 1 October 2004. * about Yuendumu
- Musharbash, Yasmin. 2004. Red bucket for the red cordial,
bucket for the green cordial ... on the logic and logistics of Warlpiri
birthday parties. The Australian Journal
* presented to the AAS
annual conference, La Trobe University, 2001.
- Musharbash, Yasmin. 2004. On boredom and time at Yuendumu.
Delivered at Joint Anthropology Seminar Series, ANU, 22nd October 2004
- Minister Vanstone hands back title to Pawu Aboriginal Land
Trust... [photo caption] Land Rights News 6.2 (July
- Jordan, Rev. Ivan. 2004. Their way: Towards an
Walpiri Christianity. Darwin: CDU Press.
150pp. ISBN 1 376248 87 4 * reviewed by Schwarz 2005
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2004. What's in a dedication? On being a
Warlpiri DJ. The Australian Journal
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2004. Rêves
encolère: Alliances aborigènes dans le
Nord-Ouestaustralien. Paris: Editions Plon. 436pp. ISBN
2–259–19931–3(paperback) * covers Dampier Peninsula, Kimberley Plateau,
Tanami Desert and Arnhem Land * reviewed by Ghislaine van Maanen, Anthropological Forum
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2004. Cultural Diversity and Indigenous
peoples : oral, written expressions and new technologies
Co-editors : Division of Cultural policies and INtercultural Dialogue,
B. Glowczewski, L. Pourchez, J. Rotkowski, J. Stanton, CD-ROM, Paris,
- Fink Latukefu, Ruth. 2004. Review of Marcus 2001. The
Australian Journal of Anthropology
- Dussart, Françoise. 2004. Shown but not shared, presented
but not proffered: redefining ritual identity among Warlpiri ritual
performers, 1990-2000. The
Australian Journal of Anthropology (TAJA) 15.3(December).
- Dussart, Françoise. 2004.
An educator, artist and reformer. Dolly Nampijinpa Daniels, Artist,
land rights advocate, 1936-2004. Sydney Morning
November 2004, page 17.
- Country visits core to school activities. Land
6.2 (July 2004), 15. * Willowra, Panma Parnta (Smokey Bore)
- Campbell, Liam. 2004. Looking for new Warlpiri identities.
Presented to Dialogues
Across Cultures Conference, Monash University. Sun 14 Nov
- Campbell, L. 2004. Walking
a different road : recording oral history with Darby
Ross. Oral History
of Australia Journal 26,1-9. * PDF
[689kB] available at Monash University Library (v25
(2001?) * Artonview
(Summer 2004),p. 40-41
- Bush trips: an adventure. Land Rights News
2004), 15. * Jangankurlangu, Yirrinirrli (sic), Munyapunji (sic)
Françoise. 2004. Shown but not shared, presented but not
proffered: redefining ritual identity among Warlpiri "businesswomen"
Australian Journal of
Anthropology (TAJA), Dec, 2004. * forthcoming
2003 in a
volume edited by Professor Sylvie Poirier (Université de Laval)
to be published by Anthropologie et Sociétés, Montreal,
- Spencer, Maxine and Nampijinpa Hargraves. 2001 [appeared
rain dreaming. "as told by Rosie Nangala Fleming" Yuendumu :
Bilingual Resources Development Unit. ISBN 086751342X * first published
in Warlpiri as Warlpiri 'Juka-juka ngapa jukurrpa', 2001.
- Sathre, Eric. [= Eirik Saethre] 2003. Everyday illness :
experience in the Australian desert. PhD dissertation, Anthropology,
Australian National University. vii+292 leaves. ANU
Library catalogue entry * Lajamanu
- Raffaele, Paul. 2003. The
tribes on earth: Journeys among the world's most threatened cultures.
Macmillan, 322pp, $30. * includes desciption of experience with an
Aboriginal (sc. Warlpiri) tracker * reviewed by Denise Leith, Sydney
Morning Herald, 2 August 2003.
- Nicholls, Christine. 2003. Yilpinji
and the Visual Art of the Warlpiri and Kukatja peoples. Essay
Love Magic and Ceremony: A collection of prints by artists from Balgo,
Yuendumu and Lajamanu. Exhibition 1-31 January 2004. Also at http://www.aboriginalartprints.com.au/yilpinji_essay.cfm
* Yilpinji Love, Magic and Ceremony. ABC Radio
Persective. Presented by Sandy McCutcheon 5:55pm on Thursday
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2003. Warlpiri sociality : an
the spatial and temporal dimensions of everyday life in a Central
Australian aboriginal settlement. PhD thesis, School of Archaeology and
Anthropology, The Australian National University. * abstract in the Australian
Society Newsletter Number 94, June 2004.
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2003. Slicing the day. On boredom and
at Yuendumu. Delivered at 2003 AAS Conference at Sydney University.
- Kelly, Kieran. Across the Tanami - on foot. 2003. Outback. The Heart of
27 (Feb/Mar),20-28. * also cover 'Exclusive. The epic story of the
first humans known to have walked the Tanami Desert' * Photos Kieran
Kelly and Andrew Harper * Letters to Editor from John Kersh, Kay
O'Neill, Paddy Cannon and Gary Hearle Outback
Letters to Editor from Kieran Kelly, and Marie Mahood Outback
29(Jun/Jul),11-12. * mentioned in Valmai Hankel's preface, p.xxv, to
facsmile edition of Davidson's Journal * 9 audio CDs (ca. 10
min) "On foot across Australia's desert heart"--Container. Read by
Peter Hosking. * "Australia's Tanami Desert is a waterless hell of
dense scrub and spinifex-infested sand ridges, and in mid-2002 Kieran
Kelly and Andrew Harper set out to cross the Tanami on foot. Without a
support crew they pitted themselves and their five camels against the
very worst the desert could throw at them."
- Kelly, Kieran. 2003. Tanami - on foot across
desert heart. Pan Macmillan. 317pp. $30 * Reviewed by Nicolas
Rothwell 'Walking to wisdom', Weekend Australian
(August 16/17) Review, 8-9.
- Genocchio, Benjamin. 2003. Traditional abstracts. [review]
'Dorothy Napangardi, Dancing Up Country. Museum of Contemporary Art,
Sydney, ends March 9, then tours to Hanoi, Manila and Kuala Lumpur.' Weekend
Australian Review 25-26 January 2002, page R13 * Mina Mina
- Clifton, Tony. 2003. A Hot Commodity with a 30,000-year
In Australia, modern aboriginal art resembles its ancient predecessors,
except for the prices. New
April 24th 2003, 'The Arts' section. * transcription
Paul. 2003. Natural considerations: The human ecology of
place-making. Presented 29 May in CRES
Series, ANU * presentation of Faulstich 1998, with slides of
- Warrki Jarrinjaku Jintangkamanu Purananjaku [sc.
"working together everyone and listening". Aboriginal child rearing
research : a review of the literature. Canberra : Dept. of
Family and Community Services. ISBN 0642770360
- Tamisari, Franca. 2002. Review of Dussart 2000. American
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2002. "Too much sorry all the time":
Warlpiri mortuary rituals as embodied practice. 13 September 3pm, HRC
seminar Room, ANU. * see 2008
- Lawrence, Rebecca. 2002. Governing Warlpiri subjects:
employment and training programs in the Central Australian mining
thesis, Department of Human Geography, Division of
Environmental & Life Sciences, Macquarie University. * see
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2002. New media projects at Yuendumu:
Inter-cultural engagement and self-determination in an era of
accelerated globalisation. Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural
- Clarsen, Georgine. 2002. Still
moving: Bush Mechanics
central desert. Australian Humanties
25: March – May 2002
- Bell, Diane. 2002 (appeared March 2003). Review of Dussart
Aboriginal Studies 2002/2,86-87.
Review of Dussart 2000. Oceania 72.3(March),232-3.
2002. Bruises that won't heal: melancholic identification and cultural
difference. Mortality 7.1 (April 2002), Special
'Thanatographia'. * "Morbidity of the Anthropologist's Body", presented
Figuring Death: Anatomies of Ritual, Representation and Culture, 1-2
Françoise. 2002. The Right
to Know and
the Right to Perform. Presented at the Ninth International
Conference On Hunting and Gathering Societies (CHAGS 9) Session 31.
General Session II, Edinburgh, Scotland, 9-13th September 2002.
Françoise. 2002 (appeared 2001). First impressions: diary of
a French anthropologist in New York City, pp.139-147 in Distant
Mirrors. America as a foreign culture, ed. by Philip R.
Kames D. Armstrong. 3rd edition. Belmont, CA, USA: Wadsworth Thomson
videoconferences March 2002
- Cruvant, Michèle. 2001/2. Bible stories are stories of place. Nelen
Yubu 78 (2001/2),
1-6. [retells Jesus Meets the Woman at the Well] p.2
Warlpiri-style iconography * the author has been a Little Sister of
Jesus at Yuendumu for twelve years * https://www.misacor.org.au/images/Documents/NelenYubu/NY78.PDF
- Waltja Tjutangku Palyapayi Aboriginal Association. 2001.
Wiimaku = "for the little kids". Innovative child care report
2000-2001. Alice Springs, N.T. : The Association. * Waltja's Child Care
Steering Committee workshop at Yuendumu, pp.5-18
- Toohey, Paul. 2001. Mothers of sorrow. The
March 17-18, 24-25. * child removal from Phillip Creek
- Stotz, Gertrude. 2001. The colonizing vehicle,
in Car Cultures, edited by Daniel Miller, Oxford :
- Paltridge, Rachel & Theresa Nano. 2001. Digging for
Geographic 61(January-March), 25-26. * photos *
'desert spadefoot toad (Notaden nichollsi), Tanami
micromeles)', kurntulja 'Oat Kangaroo
grass sp.', at Yankirrikirlangu
- Outback excursions vital to preserve culture. Australian
Geographic 62 (Apr-Jun 2001),10. * with photo "Clasping
- or dancing sticks - girls from Lajamanu learn ... yawulyu ..."
- Ottosson, Ḁse-Britt. 2001. "Black Boys and Nice Coloured
Presented to 'Subjectivities and identities' roundtable, July
in 'Looking Back, Looking Ahead: Popular Music Studies 20 Years Later',
Eleventh Biannual IASPM Conference, July 6-10, 2001, Turku, Finland.
(IASPM-Norden = Nordic branch of the International Association for the
Study of Popular Music) * abstract linked from programme.
- Nicholls, Christine. 2001. Risking linguistic genocide. Arena Magazine
2/1/2001 * closing
of bilingual education programs in Northern Territory
- Nicholls, Christine. 2001. The
Closure of the Bilingual Education Programs in Australia's Northern
Territory -- What Is at Stake? TESOL
Matters Vol. 11 No. 4 (September/October/November 2001) *
Online with subtitle 'A Former School Principal's Perspective'
- Musharbash, Yasmin. 2001. Yuendumu CDEP: The Warlpiri Work
and Kardiya Staff Turnover, pp.153-65 in The Indigenous Welfare Economy
and the CDEP Scheme. CAEPR Research Monograph No 20. F. Morphy and W.
Sanders, eds. Canberra: Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research,
The Australian National University.
- Musharbash, Yasmin. 2001. Indigenous families and the
system: the Yuendumu community case study, Stage Two. x+34pp. CAEPR
Paper No. 217, Centre For Aboriginal Economic Policy
- Marcus, Julie. 2001. The indomitable Miss Pink: a
anthropology. ISBN 0-86840-547-0 340pp. Sydney: University
South Wales Press.
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2001. The Warlpiri Media Video Archive: A
Report for the Warlpiri Media Association and the Australian Institute
of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies. Unpublished report,
- Hinkson, Melinda. 2001. New Media projects at Yuendumu:
history and analysis of inter-cultural engagement. Paper presented at
'The Power of Knowledge, the Resonance of Tradition', the ANU, 18-20
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 2001. Returning Research through
and the Internet, presented to 'The Production and Reception of
Contemporary Media Technology' symposium, AIATSIS
conference 2001: '˜The
Power of Knowledge, the Resonance of Tradition', the ANU, 18-20
September 2001. * demonstration of Yapa CD-ROM
- Gibson, D.F. & Adrian Winwood-Smith. 2001. Michael
the dancing hare without a body. Wildlife
- Elias, Derek J. 2001. Jukurrpa — Golden dreams, pp.207-221
in Gold: Forgotten
histories and lost objects
of Australia, edited by Iain MacCalman, Alexander Cook,
Press. ISBN: 0521805953
- Elias, Derek J. 2001. Golden
dreams : people, place and mining in the Tanami Desert.
(Ph.D.), Department of Archaeology and Anthropology, Australian
National University. vii+257pp.
- Durand, Robert. 2001. Networking
with new tools: Using the Super Hyway and distributed data
to bring the collections home, in Indigenous Cultures in an
Interconected World, ed. by Claire Smith & Graeme K.
Allen & Unwin Aboriginal Studies. ISBN 1-86448-926-X
Paperback - 284 pages (March 2001) University of Washington Press;
ISBN: 0774808063 * from 1997 conference
- Campbell, Liam and Andrew Stojanovski. 2001. Warlpiri
elders work with
petrol sniffers. Indigenous
Bulletin 46 5.9 (July 2001)
- Biddle, Jennifer. 2001. Inscribing identity: skin as
the Central Desert. In S Ahmed & J Stacey (eds) Thinking
Through the Skin, pp.177-193, London: Routledge.
(launch July 2001) Spinifex. ("New Poets" series) Wollongong: Five Islands
Press * mostly
NT based writing, incl. 'Lajamanu Morning' which won the Bruce Dawe
National Poetry Prize (awarded Dec 2000)
Françoise. 2001. Warlpiri Public Events and the Projection
of Social Identity. Presented to Symposium A Session 32, AIATSIS
18-21 September. [pdf]
cattle stations: far too many bosses! Alice Springs
November 28, 2001 * summary of Phillpot 2000
- Watts, Lisa Patricia and Simon Fisher. 2000. Pikilyi water
- human rights. xxiii, 268 leaves. Thesis (B.Sc. (Hons.))--Northern
Territory University. "Embargoed until further instruction from the
* see Watts & Fisher 2007
- Toyne, Peter Howard. 2000. The internal colonisation of the
Warlpiri and its resistance through educational practice. PhD thesis.
205 leaves. Institute For Education, School of Arts and Education,
Faculty at Bendigo, La Trobe University * AIATSIS Library microfiche
- Rover, G. J. (Genie Jean). 2000. My three lives.
Cooltong, S. Aust. : G. R. Rover. xi+193pp. ISBN 0646397362 * includes
experiences as wife of store manager at Lajamanu 1970-73
- Pierroutsakos, Sophia L. 2000. Infants of the dreaming: a
Warlpiri guide to child care. Chap. 6 in A world of babies : imagined
guides for seven societies, edited by Judy S.
Alma Gottlieb (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign) CUP. ISBN-10:
0521664756 | ISBN-13: 9780521664752) * book reviewed by Andrew Beatty, American Ethnologist
- Phillpot, Stuart George. 2000. Black pastoralism :
aboriginal land use : the experience of aboriginal owned pastoral
enterprises in the Northern Territory 1972-1996. xiii+470 leaves.
Thesis (Ph.D.), Australian National University. * Two
case studies: Ti-Tree Station, run by the Puraiya Cattle Company, and
the Ngarliyikirlangu Pastoral Company at Yuendumu. * summarised in Alice
Springs News Nov 2001
- Peterson, Nicolas. 2000. An expanding Aboriginal domain:
and the initiation journey. Oceania
70.3(March),205-218. * cf.
- Nicholls, Christine, and others. 2000. Educator stood for
[*Kay Napaljarri Ross, obituary]. Australian 27 Dec
9. * also a longer version in Ngoonjook
- Nicholls, Christine and Dorothy Napangardi. December 2000. Art
Monthly Australia 136:8-11. * DN is a prominent Warlpiri
from Mina Mina
- Nicholls C. 2000. Warlpiri Grafiti. Rate, colour
Australia and New Zealand. John Docker J and Gerhard Fischer
pp.79-94. Sydney: University of New South Wales Press. 0 86840 538 8
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2000. The Yuendumu Community Case
Study. In Indigenous Families and the Welfare System: Two Community
CAEPR Research Monograph No 17. D.E. Smith, ed. Pp. 53-84. Canberra:
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, The Australian National
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2000. Love & Death in
presented to Department of Archaeology & Anthropology, Arts,
- Musharbash, Yasmine. 2000. [work ethic at Yuendumu]
CAEPR conference on CDEP, ANU. 7 November 2000.
- McConvell, Patrick. 'Born is nothing': Roots, family trees
other attachments to land in the Victoria River District and the
Kimberleys. Aboriginal History 22 1998
- Keys, Cathy. 2000. Warlpiri ethno-architecture and applied
Aboriginal architectural design: Case studies from Yuendumu.
People and Physical Environment Research, 55–56, 54–68.
- Keys, Cathy. 2000. The house and the yupukarra
people's camp): a history of housing in Yuendumu 1950s-1990s,
pp.118-129 in Settlement: A History of Australian
Indigenous Housing, ed. by Peter Read. Canberra: Aboriginal Studies
Press. * from Keys 1998
- Holledge, Julie & Joanne Tompkins. 2000. Women's
intercultural performance. London and New York: Routledge.
0-415-17379-5 (pbk); 0-415-17378-7 (hbk)
- Gibson, D.F. & Adrian Winwood-Smith. (to
Michael Terry (1899-1981) and the mammals of central Australia. Australian
Mammalogy. 18pp. MS
- Donnan, Shawn. 2000. Granny patrol in the Australian
Special to The Christian Science
06, 2000 edition (851 words) * Yuendumu
2000. CAEPR lunchtime seminar (on research at Yuendumu). ANU. 17 May
2000. Writing without ink: methodology, literacy and cultural
difference, pp.170-187 in Lee, Alison and Poynton, Cate (eds) Culture
and Text: Discourse and methodology in social research and
cultural studies. St. Leonards: Allen and Unwin
use of electronic media in remote Aboriginal communities. Australian
Aboriginal Studies 2000/1&2,27-38.* published version
& Kirkby 1997
Françoise. 2000. The politics of representation: Kinship and
gender in the performance of public ritual, in Oxford
Aboriginal Art and Culture, ed. by S. Kleinert & M.
Melbourne and London: Oxford Press.
Françoise. 2000. The Politics of Ritual in an
Settlement: Kinship, Gender, and the Currency of Knowledge.
(Smithsonian Series in Ethnographic Inquiry) Smithsonian Press. ISBN
1560983930 288pp. * reviewed by Tamisari 2002, Bell 2002,
- Nicholls, Christine. 1999. Art
heart's sake: the genesis of the acrylic art movement at Lajamanu, NT.
The Journal of the International Association of Australian Studies
(InASA) 4.2(August 1999) http://www.uq.edu.au/~enldale/Crossings.htm
- Warlpiri Teachers at Lajamanu. 1999. History of the Lajamanu
School Bilingual Program. Ngoonjook: a journal of Australian
Indigenous Issues 16,51-54.
- Nicholls, Christine and Ross Shanahan. 1999. Learning not
labour: recent experiences of a central desert community, in Australian
labour history reconsidered, edited by David Palmer, Ross
and Martin Shanahan. Adelaide: Australian Humanities Press, pp.162-176.
ISBN 0 9585962 1 2
- Keys, Catherine Ann. 1999. The architectural implications
Warlpiri jilimi. A thesis submitted in fulfilment
requirements for a Doctorate of Philosophy. Department of Architecture.
University of Queensland. March 1999. x+320pp.
- Jordan, Rev. Ivan. 1999. Brief History of Baptist Ministry
Indigenous People of Central Australia. 8 Dec 1999. http://www.bwa-baptist-heritage.org/bap-ab.htm
- Hinkson, Melinda. 1999. Warlpiri Connections: New
New Enterprise and Emergent Social Forms at Yuendumu.
PhD thesis, Department of Sociology, Politics and Anthropology, La
Trobe University, Bundoora.
- Genocchio, Benjamin. 1999. Enter here for Dreaming. Weekend
Australian November 6-7. Review, p.23 * about Unhinged: The Yuendumu
of Sydney until December 5. National tour until 2001. "The
arrival of the Yuendumu doors at the Museum of Sydney raises
disquieting questions about the display of Aboriginal art"
- Day, Mark (1943-). 1999. Pulse of the nation : a
Australia. Sydney: Harper Collins. 276pp. ISBN 0732258634 *
- Buchtman, Lydia. 1999. Digital
songlines: The use of modern communication technology by an
Aboriginal community in remote Australia. In Session 2A: Human
RESEARCH FORUM, 27 September 1999, Canberra. [abstract]
* about remote Aboriginal broadcasting, looking at the development of
indigenous broadcasting at Yuendumu, and the effects of new
- Nicholls, Christine. 1999. Ten common attitudes to, and myths
about, the Northern Territory's bilingual education programs. Ngoonjook:
Journal of Australian Indigenous Issues 16 (Dec. 1999),77-88. *
includes Lajamanu school
1999. Life in the 'Hotbeds of Gossip': Facts, Facts, Facts. On the
Significance of Sleeping Arrangements in a Jilimi. Seminar presented to
Department of Archaeology & Anthropology, Arts, ANU. July 1999.
1999. Waves. Lines from a Lakeside City: poems selected for
1999 Roland Robinson Literary Award. [Speers Point, NSW]:
Macquarie City Council. * short story, drawn from Lajamanu
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1999. Négociations pour la fabrication et
distribution d’un cédérom: ‘Yapa - Art rituel du désert central
australien’. Journal des Anthropologues 79,81–98.
Françoise. 1999. What an acrylic can mean : on the
meta-ritualistic resonances of a central desert painting, pp.193-218 in
Art from the land : dialogues with the Kluge-Ruhe
Australian Aboriginal art, edited by Howard Morphy &
Smith Boles. Charlottesville, Va.: University of Virginia ; Michelago:
MSquared. vi+266pp.; 29 cm. ISBN 1) 0957713509 2)
0646370871 (pbk.) * Karrku
Françoise. 1999. The Warlpiri, pp. 363-66 in Foraging
peoples: An encyclopedia of contemporary hunters and gatherers,
by Richard Lee and Richard Daly. Cambridge University Press. *
in press 1996 * paperback edition first published in 2004
Review": Northern Territory. Dept. of Education. 1999. Learning
lessons: an independent review of indigenous education in the Northern
Territory. Darwin, N.T.: The Dept.
Northern Territory Department of Education 1999 ISBN 0 7245 3449 0
- "For further information please contact Northern Territory
Department of Education GPO Box 4821 Darwin NT 0801 Telephone (08) 8999
- Warlukurlangu Artists. Yuendumu
Doors. Collector's edition (25) of a full set of 30
the reknowned Yuendumu Doors by Paddy Japaljarri Stewart and Paddy
Japaljarri Sims * sold out
- Wright, Alexis (ed.) 1998. Take power like this
old man here:
an anthology of writings celebrating twenty years of land rights in
Central Australia, 1977-1997. Edited for the Central Land
ISBN 1 86465 005 2. Alice Springs: Jukurrpa Books, IAD Press. *
includes articles by Elias, Nash, Vaarzon-Morel
- van Holst Pellekaan, Sheila M., Marianne Frommer, John A.
& Barry Boettcher. 1998. Mitochondrial
Control-Region Sequence Variation in Aboriginal Australians. Am.
J. Hum. Genet. 62:35-449. 0002-9297/98/6202-0029 $02.00 The
American Society of Human Genetics.
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 1998. Revisiting the Willowra
Land Claim, in Wright (ed.) 1998.
- Safe, Mike. 1998. Flower power. Aboriginal and African
share a unique - and tasty - recipe for self-help. Photography Oliver
Strewe. The Australian Magazine July 25-26,
21-23,25. * incl
photos of Kay Napaljarri Ross, Rosie Nangala, Maggie Nakamarra; and Acacia
- Reeves, John. 1998. Building on
for the Next Generation. Report of the Review of the
Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976. 2v. Canberra:
- Nicholls, Christine. 1998. Nicknaming and Graffiti Writing
Practices at Lajamanu N.T. ? A Post-ethnographic Sociological Fiction.
Ph.D.thesis Macquarie University Sociology. * Dean's Commendation for
best thesis in ten years from the Vice-Chancellor's office, Macquarie
- Nash, David. (in prep. 1998) Ethnocartography:
central Australian geographic literacy. Presented 22 April 1998 to
Space seminar, Language
and Cognition Group, MPI, Nijmegen. 4pp. handout.
- Draft 2/10/1998, 30pp. Presented to Australian
Anthropological Society annual conference, 2 October 1998,
Canberra. * abstract
- Mulvaney, Ken. 1998. The Granites: social contact and
trapped in stone. Paper presented to 'Making a Mark', AURA
Inter-Congress Symposium, Canberra, 6 - 9 February 1998.
- Maloney, Shane. 1998. Nice Try.
1-875847-47-2 * page 24: "a voice joined in in an adenoidal Aboriginal
chant Manuyangka nyiyarlangurlu, jarntungku marda,
repeated pages 83, 218. [this unattributed Warlpiri fragment occurs in
the definition of jiwirli-jiwirli-wampami [PPJ
] * page 105: "Tempus fugit, as they say in Walpiri." [sic]
- Keys, Cathy. 1998. The house and the yupukarra
people's camp): a history of housing in Yuendumu 1950s-1990s. Paper
presented 18 February 1998 to a conference on The History of Australian
Indigenous Housing, sponsored by the Urban Research Program, RSS, ANU.
* published Keys 2000
- Keys, Cathy. (submitted 1998) The Architectural
Warlpiri-speaking Aboriginal women living in jilimi
women's camps). Doctoral thesis, Department of Architecture, University
- Hinkson, Melinda. 1998. Yanardilyi - Cockatoo Creek: A
from Yuendumu for a future of greater understanding. Metro
- Finnane, Kieran. 1998. They
pick and shovel... Then they led the industry! Alice Springs News
5.27(August 5),4-5. * Sitzlers; includes aerial photograph of Yuendumu
ca.1957, comment on shelters
- Dobrez, Livio. 1996 [appeared 1998]. Ethnography -- Who
needs it? Aboriginal History 20,201-210. * includes
review of Michaels
1998. Yapa Way: Processes of Transformation and Discourses of
Continuity. Seminar presented to Department of Archaeology &
Anthropology, Arts, ANU. Friday, 11 September 1998.
Anthropological Understanding of Warlpiri People. MLitt(Anthropology)
subthesis. Department of Archaeology & Anthropology, Arts, ANU.
- Author's summary: an analysis of selected Warlpiri
in terms of Bohman's prescriptions for adequate explanation in his New
Philosophy of Social Science: Problems of Indeterminacy including
Meggitt, Munn, Dussart (cf Meyers), Michaels, Jackson; historical
anthropology as an approach to Warlpiri Christian purlapa.
1998. Junga Yimi (True Story). Lines from a Lakeside City :
selected for the 1998 Roland Robinson Literary Award,ed. by
Kelly Tipping & Jean Kent. [Speers Point, NSW]: Lake Macquarie
Council. * poem
1998. Japanangka's Dog. Overland 152(Spring),53. *
- Japaljarri (1924- ). c1998. Tribal
elders : symbolic dreamings from the Australian aboriginal 'Walpiri'
Canterbury, Vic. : EON International. * "Lajamanu : recent works by the
Australian aborigines of Lajamanu" [checklist] (2 leaves), issued by
the Robert Steele Gallery, New York, laid in
Paul. 1998. Geophilia: Landscape and Humanity. Wild
Faye. (in progress) Mediating
culture: Indigenous identity in the age of electronic reproduction.
- Winwood-Smith, Adrian. 1997. Yuendumu Mining Company N.L.:
of rural Aborigines for the mineral exploration industry. Down
Earth: Journal of the Northern Territory Minerals Council,
- Widlok, Thomas. 1997. Traditions of transformation.
rituals in Australia, pp.11-22 in Cultural Dynamics of
Change in Oceania, ed. by Ton Otto & Ad Borsboom.
Press. (Verhandelingen van het Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land-
end Volkenkunde) ISBN 90-6718-119-6
- Tafler, David & David Kirkby. 1997. The
Use of Electronic Media in Remote Aboriginal Communities.
presented to the Rock
Image -1997 Fulbright Symposium Indigenous Cultures in an Interconected
World, Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory
Darwin, 23-26 July 1997. * published as Tafler 2000
- Simpson, Jane H. 1997. Perceptions of meteorology in some
Aboriginal languages, pp.20-28 in Windows on Meteorology:
Australian Perspective ed. by Eric K. Webb. ISBN
- Nicholls, Christine. 1997. Aboriginal graffiti tradition. Convocation
and Alumni Magazine of Flinders University, Spring, 5. *
of Lajamanu graffiti
- Keys, Cathy. 1997. Unearthing ethnoarchitectural types. Transition
(Collingwood, Vic) 54-55, 20-29. * "This paper describes yuntas
or wind breaks which are created in the self constructed living
environments of single Warlpiri speaking Aboriginal women in Central
- Elias, D.J. 1997. The Fluctuation of the Flock: People and
in the Tanami Desert. Seminar presented to Department of Archaeology
& Anthropology, Faculty of Arts, Australian National University
20 June 1997
- Dussart, Françoise. 1997. Gender and ritual leadership in
Central Australia. Presented to From Myth to Minerals: Place,
Narrative, Land and Transformation in Australia and New Guinea. A
conference held at Burton & Garran Halls, Australian National
University, Canberra, July 17-20. * about yamparru
- Dussart, Françoise. 1997. A body painting in translation,
in Rethinking Visual Anthropology, ed. by Howard
Marcus Banks. ISBN 0300066910 New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Durand, Robert. 1997. Networking
with new tools: Using the Super Hyway and distributed data
to bring the collections home. Paper to be presented to the Rock
Image -1997 Fulbright Symposium Indigenous Cultures in an Interconected
World, Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory
Darwin, 23-26 July 1997. * published 2001
- Congreve, Susan. 1997. Painting up big. Community painting
Quarterly Journal 35.1,88-93.
- Brady, Maggie, Stephen J. Kunitz & David Nash.
definition? Australian Aborigines, conceptualisations of health and the
World Health Organization, pp.272-290 in Migrants, Minorities
Health. Historical and contemporary studies, edited by Lara
& Michael Worboys. (Studies in the Social History of Medicine).
London & New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-415-11213-3
- Barker, R[uth] N. 1997. Linking with community development.
outsider working in remote Aboriginal communities of Central Australia,
Unpublished Master of Arts (Aboriginal Studies) thesis, University of
South Australia. * [not yet seen]
1997. "I am doing this, my Dreaming, and now you know." On Contemporary
'Totemism', Art, and Cosmology. M.A. thesis, submitted February
1997, Fachbereich Philiosophie und Sozialwissenschaften II der Freien
Universität Berlin am Institut für
Ethnologie. vii+121pp. * based on work at Yuendumu 1994, 1995, 1996
1997. Shame. Australian Feminist Studies
- Toyne, Peter, Robin Japanangka Granites & Smithie
1996. Towards a bicultural regional water program in central
Australia : consultations with Aboriginal community groups.
Canberra: Australian Geological Survey Organisation (AGSO), DoPIE.
$25.00 32pp. Catalogue Number 23181. ISBN 0642249873 * NLA catalogue
abstract (no longer available)
- Sutton, Peter. 1996. The robustness of Aboriginal land
systems: underlying and proximate customary titles. Oceania
- Steer, Phillip J. 1996. It happened at Yuendumu.
Published by the author, December 1996. ISBN 064630676-6 *
Reminiscences of Phillip & Frances Steer, founding missionaries.
- Richards, Dave. 1996. She of the Never-Never. HQ
49(Nov/Dec),68-75. * on current interest in Olive Pink
- Poirier, Sylvie. 1996. Les Jardins du Nomade.
territoire et personne dans le désert occidental australien.
(Studies in social and ritual morphology, 1) Münster: Lit Verlag.
ISBN 3-8258-2482-9 xv+291pp. ca 68.80DM * focuses on Balgo, with
mentions of Warlpiri * English version 2005
- Munn, N.D. 1996. Excluded spaces: the figure in the
Aboriginal landscape. Critical Inquiry 22,446-465.
- Morphy, Howard. 1996. Proximity and distance: representations
of Aboriginal society in the writings of Bill Harney and Bruce Chatwin,
pp.157–179 in Popularizing anthropology, edited by Jeremy
MacClancy & Chris McDonaugh. Psychology Press. https://books.google.com.au/books?id=PACTCwZE
- Lucich, Peter. 1996. Understanding Australian kinship: Rewrite
rules or homomorphisms? Journal of
Quantitative Anthropology 6.1-4 (1996),101-146. * pp128-9
Warlpiri in Table V
- Keys, Cathy. 1996. Defining single Aboriginal women's
needs in central Australia: dealing with issues of culture, gender and
environment. Paper presented at the Gender, Difference and the Built
Environment Forum (1995: University of Sydney) Architectural
Theory Review 1.1 (Apr), 69-77.
- Hodges, Mark. 1996. Online
in the Outback. Technology Review
- Hinkson, Melinda. 1996. The circus comes to Yuendumu,
Global television comes up against the Warlpiri Media Association. Arena
Magazine no. 25 (Oct/ Nov 1996),36-39.
- Hinkson, Melinda. 1996. Making meaning of the Yuendumu
Journal no. 5, 5-15.
- Fischer, Robert Andreas. 1996. Riviera - Hypermedia
exquis. * Riviera is built along the lines of the surrealist
of the cadavres exquis - the exquisite corpse.
- Fischer, Robert Andreas. 1996. Codes und Struzkturen
Informationsverwaltung - vom vertikalen zum horizontalen Denken.
Lecture for the opening of an Internet Art-Project, Baden.
- Elias, D.J. 1996. Golden Dreams: The Warlpiri and an
Difference. Seminar presented to Department of Archaeology &
Anthropology, Faculty of Arts, Australian National University - 23
- Dickins, J. 1996. Change and continuity in Central
Graphic Systems. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology
15,20-40. * mainly about Munn's work and regional variation in
- Cataldi, L. 1996. The end of the Dreaming? : understandings
history in a Warlpiri narrative of the Coniston massacres. Overland
- Biddle, Jennifer. 1996. When not writing is writing. Australian
Aboriginal Studies 1996/1, 21-33.
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Examines the relationship
iconography of Warlpiri and other Central Desert paintings and writing;
explores the meaning of literacy
- Biddle, Jennifer Loureide. 1996. Festerings
Flirtations: on mimesis, writing and difference. PhD thesis,
of Anthropology, University of Sydney. ix+195pp. April 1996. * based on
fieldwork at Lajamanu
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Discussion of the construction
cultural difference in the authors experience of fieldwork in the
Warlpiri community of Lajamanu; the process of mimesis in colonialism -
correlation with primitivism and modernism; construction of the
'other'; conceptualisation of literacy among the Warlpiri - discussion
of 'Warlpiri Letters' - orthography; inscription practices reflected in
the use of the alphabet; naming practice and use of names - skin names,
kumanjayi; Warlpiri writing and literacy- relationship to dot and sand
painting; problems of translation in discourse about Warlpiri art -
critique of Yuendumu Doors; the body in fieldwork -
Aboriginal and European corporeality - abjection, sociality, illness;
shame and guilt in anthropological fieldwork
Barbara. Les Rêveurs du désert. Peuple
warlpiri d'Australie (réédition avec nouvelle postface),
Arles, Actes Sud (1e ed. 1989, Paris, Plon), 380p.
- Vaarzon-Morel, Petronella. 1995. Warlpiri karnta
karnta-kurlangu yimi = Warlpiri women's voices : our lives our history.
Stories told by Molly Nungarrayi ... [et al.] ; compiled and edited by
Petronella Vaarzon-Morel. Alice Springs: IAD Press. xv+118pp. ISBN
0949659754 * presentation "Warlpiri Women's Voices: an Overview", to
4th Australian Book Fair, Sydney Exhibition Centre, Darling Harbour,
- Sutton, Peter. 1995. Country. Aboriginal
boundaries and land
ownership in Australia. (Aboriginal History monograph 3.)
Aboriginal History Inc. 201pp. 29 cm. ISBN 0731521463
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1995. Reproducing an Aboriginal domain:
mobility and the initiation journey. Presented at the symposium '(Post)
foraging societies: social reproduction, identity politics, community
viability' at the American Anthropological Association meetings,
Washington DC, 16-19 November 1995. * Published 2000
- Meadows, Michael. [c1995] Ideas
from the Bush: Indigenous Television in Australia and Canada. Canadian
Journal of Communication 20.2
- Jackson, Michael. 1998. Minima
ethnographica: Intersubjectivity and the anthropological
University of Chicago Press. ISBN-13 978-0226389462 * pp.1-2 on
Malikijarra; some passages set at Lajamanu
- Jackson, Michael. 1995. At home in the world.
Duke University Press. HarperCollins. 188pp. $16.95 * Reviewed by Billy
Marshall-Stoneking, Weekend Review p.9, Weekend
26-27/8/1995. * reviewed by Philip Morrissey 'Why this subject?' Australian
Book Review 175(October 1995),42-43. * reviewed by Derek
& Harry Nelson Jakamarra in Land Rights Queensland
(December 1995),15. [NLA catalogue number Nef 346.9430432 LAN] *
reviewed by Eller
- Hinkson, Melinda. 1995. Making meaning of the Yuendumu
Journal 5(New Series), 5-15.
- Hinkson, Melinda. 1995. Culture versus Lifestylism: On the
life-work of Eric Michaels. Arena
Magazine 17, 51-52. * book review of Bad Aboriginal Art,
a selection of
essays by Eric Michaels
- Fischer, Robert Andreas. 1995. The electronic
caméra-stylo. Strategies of audio-visual textuality and
indigenous media praxis. Lecture at NORDICIL conference of Finnish Film
Foundation "New Technologies - New Narratives", Helsinki, August 1994.
Unpublished manuscript, Zurich, 01.03.95 (Draft version 1.0). 12pp.
- Fischer, Robert Andreas. 1995. Learning to fly. About
phenomena, spiritual travelling and symbiotic man-machine evolution.
Lecture at Fribourg "Festival du Belluard": Symposium "The Incident" -
Art, Technology and Phenomena (01.07.95) Unpublished manuscript,
Zurich, 30.06.95 (Draft version 2.0). 7pp.
- Fischer, Robert Andreas. 1995. Protohistoric
of the network self. On Wired Aborigines and the emancipation from
alphabetic imperialism. Zurich, 17.03.95 / Draft version.
- Dussart. See Swain 1993.
- Desert art on show. Land Rights Queensland
(December 1995),20. * Warlukurlangu Artists exhibition at Bellas
Gallery, Brisbane. [NLA catalogue number Nef 346.9430432 LAN]
- Coombs, H.C. 1995. Warlpiri land use and management,
chapter 3 in
his Aboriginal Autonomy. Issues and strategies.
ISBN 0 521
44097 1. Cambridge UP. [CUP
Barbara. Les cartes mentales chez les Aborigènes
d'Australie. Pp.59-78 in Les
Cahiers du Collège iconique. INA (Institut National
l'Audiovisuel), direction de L'Inathèque
de France (dépôt légal de la
radio-télévision). Paris, 3 mai 1995. * audio transcript
of a conference
- Wild, Stephen A. 1994. Aboriginal use of narrative: the
of northern-central Australia, pp.80-83 in Dance and
Green Mill Dance Project papers 1994 (Papers from the 1994
Mill Dance Project), ed. by Hillary Trotter. ISBN 0646191861 vi+132pp.
Canberra: Australian Dance Council (Ausdance).
- Toyne, Peter. 1994. The
Potential Impact of Future Telecommunications Developments on
Aboriginal People in Australia. © 1994 Tanami Network
Pty Ltd. * "This paper is one of a series commissioned by Telecom as
of its consultation with customers about future services."
- Tafler, David. 1994. Does the outback represent the centre?
Tracing electronic art tracks across Australia. Continuum
- Tafler, David. 1994. Meaning
without mirrors: Mapping the margins of cyberspace. Presented
The 5th International Symposium on Electronic Art ISEA94 (University of
Art and Design Helsinki UIAH, Helsinki, Finland.)
- Rockman, Peggy Napaljarri & Lee Cataldi (transl.)
Dreamings and Histories. Yimikirli. : Newly Recorded Stories from the
Aboriginal Elders of Central Australia. (The Sacred
Series of the International Sacred Literature Trust in association with
HarperCollins.) Sponsored by AIATSIS. HarperCollins Publishers.
xxiv+193pp. ISBN 0-06-066125-9 US$20 dt 1994
- Morel, Petronella and J. Willis. 1994. Alekarenge
Housing and Infrastructure Development Plan: Social Assessment
Component Report for Centre for Appropriate Technology.
- Michaels, Eric (1948-1988). 1994. Bad Aboriginal art:
media and technological horizons. Foreword by Dick Hebdige;
introduction by Marcia Langton. (Theory out of bounds v. 3.)
xlix+203pp. ISBN 0816623414 Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
204pp. Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
- James, Bentley. 1994. Warlpiri Media Association Inc., pp.
139-140 in Film policy;
Australian reader, edited by Albert Moran. Brisbane:
for Cultural Policy Studies, Faculty of Humanities, Griffith University.
AIATS Library annotation: History, functions and importance of the
Warlpiri Media Association (WMA); Broadcasting in Remote Aboriginal
Communities Scheme (BRACS) and its lack of funding
- Granites, Robin Japanangka & Toyne, Peter. 1994.
Network: Alleviating isolation through regional, national and global
networking. Background discussion paper, Yuendumu. Unpublished
- Graham, Robert. See Bell 1993.
Françoise. Exhibitions of Identity:
Warlpiri women and the Performance of Public Ritual. Presented to
European Society for Oceanists, Basel, Switzerland. * for Foragers
First Nations: Reproduction in Aboriginal Societies, ed. by
Lee & David Trigger.
- Daniels, Dolly Nampijinpa & Anne Mosey. 1994. ngurra
Art Museum, University of South Australia. ISBN 0-86803-081-3
32pp. 5 colour illustrations * exhibition held at UniSA
Art Museum, Adelaide, 24 February – 26 March 1994 * some
Warlpiri language text with English translation * essays by Petronella
Vaarzon-Morel, Kerry Giles
- Ascher, Marcia. 1994. Ethnomathematics: Multicultural view of
mathematical ideas. Chapman and Hall/CRC; 2nd edition. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/0412989417/
* Warlpiri kinship, pp.70-77,81-82, drawing on Laughren 1982
- Swain, Tony (1955-). 1993. A place for strangers:
history of Australian Aboriginal being. Cambridge England ;
Melbourne : Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0521430054 * reviewed by
Françoise Dussart in American Ethnologist
- Stotz, Gertrude. 1993. "Kurdungurlu got to drive Toyota":
differential colonizing process among the Warlpiri. vii+264 leaves.
Thesis (Ph.D.)--Deakin University.
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1993. Recent research on land tenure in
Central Desert of Australia. [5pp. ms.]
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1993. [in Japanese] The
of Science 46.8(Aug. 1993),[39-45]745-751.
- Morel, Petronella and Helen Ross. 1993. Housing
design assessment for bush communities. Diagrams by
Jane Dillon. Alice Springs: Tangentyere Council Inc.
- Molnar, Helen. 1993. Indigenous use of small media:
radio, BRACS -Broadcasting for Remote Aboriginal Communities Scheme-
and the Tanami network, pp.30-49 in Circit Conference (1993:
Melbourne). Enhancing Cultural Value: Narrowcasting, Community Media
and Cultural Development: Proceedings.
- McGill, Graham. 1993. An Australian Aboriginal community's
restraints on a school program : a case study. Thesis (M.Ed.), Northern
Territory University. http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/13696045
* Willowra School
- Marcus, Julie (ed.) 1993. First in their field :
Australian anthropology. ISBN 0522844669 xvi+189pp.
Melbourne University Press.
- Lowe, Hinton John. c1993. Jukurrpa wankaru juku =
dreaming alive / [photography, Christopher Groenhout; ...
by Hinton J. Lowe] Melbourne: Australian Exhibitions Touring Agency.
ISBN 1875296115 24pp.
- Laughren: see Glowczewski 1991.
- Fischer, R.A. 1993. The savage Media - A
evaluation of the technologization of aboriginal communication-modes
with special regard to the Warlpiri video-work in Yuendumu. Zurich,
- Faulstich, Paul. 1993. "You read 'im this country":
self and art in an Aboriginal community, pp. (149)-161, 255-256 in Artistic
Heritage in a Changing Pacific, edited by Philip J.C. Dark
Roger G. Rose. Bathurst, N.S.W.: Crawford House Press. ISBN
1863330801 * Selected papers of the Pacific Arts Association's Fourth
International Symposium on the Arts of the Pacific held in August 1989
in Honolulu. * AIATSIS Library annotation: Discusses how Warlpiri
landscape contains personal and group identity and history; how art and
ritual are extensions of mythology and landscape and how Warlpiri world
view and values are expressed through their art
- Dutton, Geoffrey. 1993. Aboriginal dance, Hooker Creek [poem],
p.199 in his New and selected poems. Sydney: Angus &
- Dussart, Françoise. 1994. Quelle [est l']'Evolution des
Collections d'Art Aborigènes et Australiennes sous la
Pression du Marche [Public], pp. 49-53 in Les Cahiers de
Musées. Musée de France, Ministère de la
Culture et de la Francophonie et College International de Philosophie.
* how the market influenced the ways things were bought by museums in
Australia, France, etc.
- Dussart, Françoise. 1993. L'Australie: La peinture du
centre et le colonialisme, pp.518-520 in Encyclopedia
ed. by Mme F. Flon-Granveaud. Paris.
- La peinture des aborigènes d'Australie : catalogue
édité à l'occasion de l'exposition Peinture
des aborigènes d'Australie au Musée des arts
d'Afrique et d'Océanie, Paris, mai-novembre 1993
- Coombs, H. C. 1993. Willowra.
Casuarina, N.T. : Published jointly by the North Australia Research
Unit, Australian National University, and the Nugget Coombs Forum for
Indigenous Studies, 1993. vi+15pp. ISBN 073151520X Discussion paper
(Australian National University. North Australia Research Unit) ; no.
- Biddle, Jennifer. 1993. The anthropologist's body, or what
means to break your neck in the field. The Australian Journal
Anthropology (TAJA) 4.3,184-197. * following vehicle accident
- Bell, Diane. 1993. Daughters of the Dreaming.
Unwin. 2nd edition of Bell 1983. * Reviewed by Robert Graham Australian
Aboriginal Studies 1994/1,45-49. Discussion in Australian
Aboriginal Studies 1995/2,34-37.
- Bagshaw, Jean. 1993. Stores & stories.
Aboriginal communities. Historical Society of the Northern
Territory: in association with the North Australia Research Unit. ISBN
0-9599702-4-X [Yuendumu periods from May 1978 to October 1989]
Faye. 1993. Indigenous media: Faustian contract or global
pp.356]- in Rereading cultural anthropology
ed. by G.
Marcus. Duke University.
- AIATSIS Library annotation: First part of this paper
how indigenous media challenges the conventions and categories of both
traditional culture and ethnographic film; the second part explores the
specific cases of several media groups in Central Australia including
Warlpiri Media Association and CAAMA
- Watt, Ron. 1992. Bilingual education and self determination
Lajamanu in the Northern Territory. A research paper submitted in
partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of
Education. School of Education, Deakin University, February 1992.
- van Holst Pellekaan, Sheila. The process of consultation
Aboriginal communities regarding biomedical and anthropological
research. Conf Proc Aust Bioethics Assoc Ann Conf
Women's College, University of Sydney, Sydney.
- Toyne, Peter. 1992. The Tanami Network: New uses for
communications in support of social links and service delivery in the
remote Aboriginal communities of the Tanami. Paper presented to Service
Delivery and Communications in the 1990s Conference, Alice Springs,
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1992. Warlpiri, pp.373-376 in Encyclopaedia
of World Cultures Volume 2: Oceania, ed. by Terrence E.
Hays. Boston: G.K. Hall. http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/6660180
- O'Flynn, Luala/Nuala. 1992. Aboriginal painting, past and
present: Reading direction and the unaboriginal eye. Australian
and New Zealand Studies in Canada 8,33-58. *
mentions Lajamanu women's
- Niblett, Michael. 1992. Text and Context: Some Issues in
Ethnography. MA thesis, Anthropology, Arts, ANU.
- Morais, Meaghan Jones. 1992. Documenting dance: Benesh
notation and the Warlpiri of central Australia, pp.130-144 (discussion
pp.145-153) in Music and Dance of Aboriginal Australia and
South Pacific. The Effects of Documentation on the Living Tradition,
ed. by Alice Marshall Moyle. Papers and Discussions of the Colloquium
of the International Council for Traditional Music held in Townsville,
1988. Oceania Monograph 41. Sydney: The University
Barbara (ed.) 1992. YAPA: peintres Aborigènes de
et Lajamanu / Aboriginal painters from Balgo and Lajamanu
/English]. Paris: Baudoin Lebon editeur. 171pp. ISBN 2-87688-020-2 * link
- * AIATSIS Library annotation: Includes sections by Barbara
Glowczewski, Christiane Senn, Michael Rae and Sylvie Poirier;
historical and cultural context of acrylic art produced by Balgo and
Lajamanu artists; brief biographies and discussion of individual
artists; relation of law to dreaming and men's and women's art; skin
names and subsections; substantial explanation of motifs and myths
depicted; extended account of eight myths:- Digging Stick - single
women, Wind - two men cannibals, Medicine-Men, Invincible - childhood
of Wind Brothers, Rain - two transgressors, Rain and Rainbow snake,
Stone Curlew - fire messenger, Birds, Plants and Animal Dreaming
- Fischer, R.A. 1992. On the emergence of a cybernetic
and its implications for the making of art, pp.259-273 in Swiss
ed. by Heinz Horat. New York: Hudsons Hill.
- Dussart, Françoise. 1992. Creation et innovation. Journal
la Societé des Oceanistes 94.1,25-34. * n1: "Cette
communication a été présentée au
séminaire de la Société des Océanistes en
- Dussart, Françoise. 1992. Warlpiri paintings: symbols tell
stories, pp.32-35 in Australia through Time, Faces
American Museum of Natural History & Cobblestone Press.
- Dussart, Françoise. 1992. The Politices of female identity:
Warlpiri widows at Yuendumu. Ethnology
Paul. 1992. Of Earth and Dreaming: Abstraction and Naturalism
Warlpiri Art. In M.J. Morwood and D.R. Hobbs (eds), Rock Art
Ethnography, pp. 19-23. Melbourne: Archaeological
- Read, Peter and Jay. 1991. Long time, olden time
accounts of Northern Territory history, collected and edited
Peter and Jay Read. Alice Springs, N.T. : Institute for Aboriginal
Development. 3 sound cassettes + 1 book (xv+151pp.)
- Peterson, Nicolas & Toshio Matsuyama (eds) 1991. Cash,
commoditisation and changing foragers. Kokuritsu Minzokugaku
Hakubutsukan. Osaka, Japan: National Museum of Ethnology. ii+294pp.
(Senri ethnological studies 0387-6004 ; 30.)
- McRae, Jill Frances Kealey. 1991. Story as
study of the relationship between the sand stories of the Warlpiri
Aborigines and their country. [Lindfield, N.S.W.]: University
Technology Sydney, Kuring-gai Campus, School of Teacher Education.
110pp. (Kuring-gai studies in children's literature no. 3) * field
visit at Lajamanu Oct-Nov 1988; pp.71-86: 9 stories in English
translation; reprints English and graphics of Yawulyukurlu
NLA Call Number Nq 809.8928205 KUR
- Hoogenraad, Robert (compiler). 1991. DRAFT Warlpiri
culture curriculum: secondary level: years 8-10, prepared by NT
Education Department Staff from material developed in the course of the
Warlpiri Secondary Curriculum Workshops held during 1988/89.
Unpublished MS, Alice Springs, N.T. Department of Education.
- Harris, Pam. 1991. Mathematics in a cultural
Aboriginal perspectives on space, time and money. 168pp. ISBN
0-7300-1209-3 Geelong: Deakin University.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1991. Entre Rêve et mythe : Roheim et les
Australiens. L'Homme 118 31.2(avril-juin),125-132.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1991. Du Rêve. La Loi Chez
Aborigènes. Mythes, rites et organisation sociale en Australie.
Presses Universitaires de France. ISBN 2 13 0437451. * reviewed by Mary
Laughren Australian Aboriginal Studies 1993/2,74-80.
- Crumlin, Rosemary (ed.). 1991. Aboriginal Art and
ISBN 0859249980 151pp. Collins Dove. * Foreword by Margaret Carnegie.
'Lajamanu', 59-62 by Judith Ryan. 'Yuendumu', 63-67 by Felicity Wright.
'Papunya', 76-93 by Gabrielle Pizzi. 'Of Myth and Symbol, and Art in
the Everyday', 113-117, transcript of an interview with Chris Anderson.
- Cowan, James. 1991. Sacred
Text by James Cowan : photographs by Colin Beard. East Roseville, NSW:
Simon & Schuster. * Chapter 8
'Jaripiri's Dreaming', pp.134-155 * Chapter 9 'The cave of Jukuita',
- Bear-Wingfield, Rebecca (curator). 1991. Kuna Jarrayi
Nyirrpi Community. An exhibition for NAIDOC Week 1991 presented by the
Flinders University of South Australia, etc. Catalogue notes by Vincent
Megaw. 37 items.
[1991?] Dot, circle, difference: Translating Central Desert paintings,
Chapter 3, pp.27-39 in Cartographies. Poststructuralism and
mapping of bodies and space, edited by Rosalyn Diprose
Ferrell. Allen & Unwin.
- Avery, David. 1991. Duck
Pond Toyota: The Northern Territory’s Liquor
Act – Restricted areas and the seizure of vehicles:
Bulletin 2.51 (August 1991), 14.
- Ascher, Marcia. 1991. Ethnomathematics, a multicultural view
of mathematical ideas. Hardcover edition (1991) from CRC Press
Inc. Paperback edition (1994) from Chapman and Hall/CRC. CRC Press
(2010) * In Chapter 3, pp66- 'The Logic of Kin Relations',
pp70-77 kinship relations of the Warlpiri of Australia. * link
to view at Amazon
- Wales, Roger. 1990. Children's pictures. Chapter 8, pp.140-155 in
children: essays in honour of Margaret Donaldson, edited by Robert
Grieve and Martin Hughes. Oxford:
Blackwell. John Wiley and Sons Ltd (paperback) * p.148 'Figure 8.1
Drawing by Judith, a young Walbiri child' (Yuendumu) * pp.147-9 cites
Munn 1973; paper summarised by editors on pp.8-9 of introduction
- Ryan, Judith. 1990. Paint up big - Warlpiri
women's art of
Lajamanu. Melbourne: National Gallery of Victoria.
0724101454 * on t.p.: This book is published with the
support of the Reichstein Foundation.
- Rowse, Tim. 1990. Enlisting
the Warlpiri. Continuum 3.2. [see
O'Reagan 1990] [41p. ts.]
- Robson, Frank. 1990. The other games. The
(January 20-21) 30-33,36.
- Raynal, Chris. 1990. Yuendumu: Betrayal of Black Rights.
Blue Water Publishing. http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/18028530
* reviewed by Will
- Philips, Dorothea. 1990. Jukurrpa. Artlink
- O'Reagan, Tim (ed.) 1990. Communication
and Tradition: Essays after Eric Michaels. Special
issue of Continuum:
The Australian Journal of Media & Culture. Includes
TV as cultural technology: the work of Eric Michaels. Continuum 3.2,53-98;
Hodge, R. Aboriginal truth and white media: Eric Michaels meets the
spirit of Aboriginalism. Continuum 3.2,201-225.
- Monty, Sharon. 1990. Abie Jangala. Artlink
- McKenzie, Peter. 1990. Magiciens de la Terre: "Paris is
but it's not Yuendumu". Artlink 10.1 &
- McKenzie, Kim and Carol Cooper. 1990. The Lajamanu
drawings. 2pp. typescript. 'September 12, 1990' * AIATSIS Library call
number pMS 6262. Restricted access.
- Lennard, Christine. 1990. Warlukurlangu Artists. Artlink
10.1 & 2 (Autumn/Winter 1990),22.
- Lennard, Christine. 1990. Two artists from Yuendumu. [F
and Norah Nelson] Artlink 10.1 & 2
- Kirkby, David. 1990. Journey to Kamirlunyu. Australian
- Hoogenraad, Robert. 1990. AWarlpiri secondary level
culture curriculum: a short description. N.T. Bilingual
Newsletter 90-1,11-14. Darwin, N.T. Department of Education.
AIATSIS Library Annotation: Proposals for extending the Warlpiri
Bilingual Education Program at Willowra, arising from Bess Nungarrayi
Price's work at Yirara College
- Dussart, Françoise. 1990. The choice of widowhood
among Warlpiri women. Conference on Hunting and Gathering Societies
(6th 1990; Alaska) - Sixth International Conference on Hunting and
Gathering Societies, CHAGS 6; hunting and gathering societies changing
peoples, changing theories; University of Alaska Fairbanks May 27 -
June 1, 1990 - Alaska: University of Alaska Fairbanks.
- Cataldi, Lee. 1990. Language maintenance: bilingual
Lajamanu school, pp.83-88 in Language Maintenance, Power and
Education in Australian Aboriginal Contexts, ed. by Chris
& Willian Eggington. Darwin: NTU Press.
- Cataldi, Lee. 1990. The Women Who Live on the
1978-1988. Penguin Books. ISBN 0 14 058654 7. 55pp.
Paul Evan. 1990. Landscape perception and visual metaphor in
Warlpiri world view. Ph.D. dissertation, Anthropology, East-West Center
and the University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1990 * published 1991 by
University Microfilms International, Ann Arbor, Mich. 4
microfiches. Order number 91-18035. * NLA Call Number mc 252 91-18035
- Giese, Harry C. 1990. Planning a program for Aborigines in the
1950s. Northern Territory Library Service Occasional Papers 16.
data/assets/pdf file/0005/241871/occpaper16.pdf * comments on
settlements and some individuals including in Warlpiri region
Eric. 1990. Unbecoming. An Aids Diary.
(PO Box 134, Rose Bay NSW 2029) 192pp. ISBN 0 646 01184 7 (pp.15-20:
Introduction: Authenticity and AIDS, by Simon Watney) $19.95
Eric. 1990. A
model of teleported texts (with reference to Aboriginal Television).Continuum
- Swain, Tony. 1989. Dreaming, Whites and the Australian
some popular misconceptions. The Journal of Religious History
- Ryan, Judith. 1990. Mythscapes: Aboriginal art of
the desert from the National Gallery of Victoria. Melbourne :
- See Glowczewski 1996, 2016
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1989. [Western Desert land
A Central Land Council submission on behalf of the traditional owners
of the land claimed.
- Lucich, Peter. 1989. The rational in the real: explaining
symmetries of Australian kinship and cosmology. Mankind
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1989. A topological approach to
cosmology and social organisation. Mankind
- Dussart, Françoise. 1989. Réves a
l'acrylique. Australie noire / dirige par Sylvie Girardet, Claire
Merleau-Ponty et Anne Tardy -- Paris : Autrement Revue
- Swain, Tony. 1988. The Ghost of Space. Reflections of
Christian Iconography and Ritual. Swain & Rose 1988:452-469.
- Swain, Tony & Deborah Bird Rose (eds). 1988. Aboriginal
Australians and Christian Missions. Ethnographic and Historical Studies.
ix+489pp. ISBN 0 908083 15 7 Bedford Park, SA: Australian Association
for the Study of Religions, SACAE.
- Roberts, Ainslie. 1988. Echoes of the Dreamtime.
Melbourne: JM Dent Pty Limited. * painting "The Guardian of Owl Rock"
Eric (1948-1988). 1988. Bad Aboriginal art. Art & Text
reprinted in Michaels 1994
- McClay, David JL. 1988. Surviving the whiteman's world: adult
education in Aboriginal society. PhD thesis, Graduate School of
Education, University of Queensland. xv+464pp. * based on work at
Lajamanu * UQ Library THE6582 * AIATSIS Library Ms 2670
- Lawson, S. 1988. Sons of the Kangaroo. An Analysis of the
Warlpiri Initiation Complex. BA(Hons) thesis, Anthropology, Arts, ANU.
- Hughes, Robert. 1988. Evoking the spirit ancestors. Time
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1988. La Loi Du Rêve. Approche
topologique de l'organisation sociale et des cosmologies des
Aborigènes australiens. Thése d'Etat
Ã¨s-lettres et Sciences Humaines. Annexe II. Paroles de
Warlpiri, 491-604. [20 sections.] 645pp. Mars 1988. Université
de Paris I - Panthéon-Sorbonne.
- Dussart, Françoise. 1988. Women's acrylic paintings
from Yuendumu. The Inspired Dream. [8pp., catalogue]. March 1988.
[Brisbane:] Queensland Art Gallery.
- Dussart, Françoise. 1988. Warlpiri women's Yawulyu
ceremonies: a forum for socialization and innovation. xii, 283 leaves;
ill., geneal. tables, maps. Thesis (Ph.D) - Australian National
- Dussart, Françoise-F. 1988. Notes on Warlpiri
women's personal names. Journal de la Societé des Oceanistes
- Clynes, Manfred. 1988. Generalized Emotion How it May be
Produced, and Sentic Cycle Therapy, in Emotions and Psychopathology,
edited by Manfred Clynes and Jaak Panksepp.
- Bell, Diane. 1988. Choose your mission wisely. Christian
colonials and Aboriginal marital arrangements on the northern frontier.
Swain & Rose 1988:338-352. [Warlpiri 338-341,347-8]
- Anderson, Chris & Françoise Dussart. 1988.
Dreamings in Acrylic: Contemporary Western Desert Art, pp. 89-142 in Dreamings,
ed. by Peter Sutton. New York: Braziller.
Paul. 1988. Representing Warlpiri: Art and Object in an Aboriginal
World View. Presented to Australian Rock Art Research Assoc. Congress,
- Wild, Stephen A. 1987. Recreating the JUKURRPA: adaptation and
innovation of songs and ceremonies in Warlpiri society. Clunies Ross et
al (eds.) (1987:97-)
- Waterman, Patricia Panyity. 1978. A tale-type index of
Australian Aboriginal oral narratives. FF communications, no. 238.
Helsinki: Suomalainen Tiedeakatemia / Academia Scientiarum Fennica. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/17541359
* lists some published Warlpiri sources * published
version of 1978 PhD thesis * reviewed by Margaret Clunies Ross The
Journal of American Folklore v102 n405 (1989),377-378 http://www.jstor.org/stable/540673
- Warlukurlangu Artists. 1987. Yuendumu doors. Kuruwarri.
ISBN 0 85575 179 7 v+143pp. Canberra: AIAS. * 2nd edition: Jones 2014
- Sutton, Peter. 1987. Mystery and change. Chapter 5. Clunies Ross
et al 1987:77–96.
- Miller, Daniel. 1987. Munn: Objectification as Culture, Chapter
4, pp.50–67 in Material culture and mass consumption by Daniel
Archaeology series. Basil Blackwell. Reprinted with new epilogue,
- Jones, Philip. 1987. South Australian anthropological history:
the Board for Anthropological Research and its early expeditions. Records
of the South Australian Museum 20,71–92.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1987. Totem, rêve et langage.
Les Warlpiri du désert central australien. Annales de la
Fondation Fyssen No.3 (3e trimestre 1987),59-67. [194, rue de
Rivoli - Paris Ier Te/l. 188.8.131.52]
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1987. Lieux et liens en Australie. L'Homme
- Glowczewski, Barbara & F. Guattari. 1987. Espaces de
rêves: Les Warlpiri. Exposé et discussion (18 janvier
1983, 26 février 1985) Chimères 1:4-37.
- Glowczewski, Barbara & Charles-Henry Pradelles de Latour.
diagonale de la belle-mère. L'Homme 27.104:27-53. DOI : 10.3406/hom.1987.368893
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1987. La Peur de l'Autre chez les Warlpiri
du désert central australien. Vers des
sociétés pluriculturelles. Actes du Colloque de l'AFA, janv. 1986,
Paris, Éd. de l'ORSTOM.
- Clunies Ross, Margaret, Tamsin Donaldson & Stephen
(eds). 1987. Songs of Aboriginal Australia. Sydney:
of Sydney. viii+199pp. Oceania Monographs 32. [out
Companion sound cassette (AIATSIS 1990).
- Cadzow, Jane. 1987. The art of the desert Dreaming. Weekend
- Brown, Jenny. 1987. Dreamings. Art from another world. Good
Weekend (April 10-11, 1987),68-70,72. [with The Age
Eric. 1987. Hundreds shot at Aboriginal community: ABC makes
documentary at Yuendumu. Media Information Australia
Eric. 1987. Hollywood iconography, a Warlpiri reading,
in Television and Its Audience: International Research
ed. by P. Drummond & R. Patterson. London: British Film
Eric. 1987. Aboriginal content: Who's got it? -- who needs
and Text 23/4 (March-May 1987),58-79. * see Michaels 1986
- Turner, David H. 1986. Transformation and tradition : a
Aboriginal development in/on the Northern Territory of Australia.
[Darwin: Dept. of Community Development, 1986]. Collation 173, 19, 21,
19, 18 p.,  p. of plates :ill., maps ;25 cm. * NT State Reference
Library 305.89915 TRAN * includes Yuendumu
- Swain, Tony. 1986. Wapirra Know 'im now: Reflections on
elements in Warlpiri Christian ritual and iconography. Paper presented
at the 11th Annual Conference of the Australian Association for the
Study of Religion, Adelaide, 1986. 17pp. ts.
- Roche, Sandra, Ron Watt & Lee Cataldi. 1986.
English: Grade 3-4-5 at Lajamanu school. Aboriginal Child at
- Reece, Laurie. What
Warlpiri Aborigines Believe about the Origin of Everything. Creation
Magazine 8.2(March),34-36. * was at http://www.christiananswers.net/aig/m86warlp.html
- Poulson, Christopher, Tess Ross, Tim Shopen & Peter
. Warlpiri language and culture -- adaptation to contemporary
needs. Language in Aboriginal Australia (Alice
- Munn, Nancy D. 1986 . Walbiri Iconography.
Representation and Cultural Symbolism in a Central Australian Society.
Ithaca, London: Cornell U.P. ISBN 0-8014-0739-7 [1st ed. 1973] *
"Afterword, 1986", pp.222-231 in 2nd ed. 1986, Chicago UP.
- Hamilton, Annette. 1986. Daughters of the imaginary. Canberra
Anthropology 9.2,1-25. * [AIATSIS Librarty annotation:
of divergent findings about position and powers of women in traditional
society; critique of Bell's Daughters of the Dreaming
1983]; feminism and anthropology]
- Hale, K, M. Honda & W. O'Neil & M Laughren.
Bilingual-Bicultural Education in Nicaragua. Proceedings of the Sixth
Annual International Native American Language Issues Institute,
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1986. Les hommes du dessous et les
du haut. Ouvrage collectif, Côté femmes : approches ethnologiques,
pp. 13-29. Paris: L'Harmattan.
- Gibson, D[avid] F. 1986. A Biological Survey of
Desert in the Northern Territory Technical Report - Number
Alice Springs: Conservation Commission of the Northern Territory. ISBN
07245 0836 8 ISSN 0729 9990 xiii+258pp.
- Fleming, Tom (-1990). 1986. [Interview with Reverend Tom
and his wife, Baptist missionaries] [sound recording] Ray Aitchison
(1923-). Recorded at Alice Springs 4 July 1986. 2 cassettes (ca. 135
min.) 1 7/8 ips. NLA
summary: * "Reverend and Mrs Fleming speak about their work over a
25-year period at the Yuendumu Aboriginal settlement; beliefs of the
Walbiri (Warlpiri) people; and problems of alcoholism and petrol
sniffing. Reverend Fleming speaks about his time as a prisoner of war
during World War II and his decision to become a missionary. * NLA Oral
History R.R LG1 ORAL
Paul. 1986. Pictures of the Dreaming : Aboriginal rock art of
Australia. Archaeol. 39.4,18-25. * p.19
Eric. 1986. Aboriginal media history: an inverted sequence.
presented to the 1986 International Television Studies Conference. ts.
Eric. 1986. Aboriginal content: who's got it — who needs it?.
Keynote address: Documentary Sessions, Australian Screen Studies
Association, Sydney, December 1986. 22pp. ts. Canberra. * see Michaels
Eric. 1986. Aboriginal invention of television.
Australia 1982-86. The Institute Report Series. Canberra:
- Australian Law Reform Commission. 1986. Recognition of
Aboriginal Customary Laws (ALRC Report 31) * Aboriginal
Customary Laws inquiry * 'The ALRC received terms of reference for
this inquiry on 9 February 1977.'
- Wafer, Petronella. 1985. Personhood among the Warlpiri: a
question of gender? Paper
presented at the annual meeting of the American Anthropological
Association, Washington DC, December.
- Scheffler, H.W. 1985. Kin classes as cultural categories:
the Walbiri case, pp.158-184 in Metaphors of Interpretation:
Essays in Honour of WEH Stanner, ed. by Diane E Barwick,
Jeremy Beckett, and Marie Reay. Canberra: Australian National
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1985. Droits territoriaux aborigène.
pp.18-26. Les rêves en terre [Ngaripalang Nungarrayi],
p.27. Ethnies. Droits de l'home et peuples autochtones.
de Survival International (France) 3(automne 1985). 40F ISSN 0295-9151
- Bell, Diane. 1985. Topsy Napurrula Nelson, Teacher,
and friend, Chapter 1, pp.1-18 in Fighters and Singers: The
of some Australian Aboriginal women, ed. by Isobel White,
Barwick & Betty Meehan. Sydney, London, Boston: George Allen
Eric. 1985. How video has helped a group of Aborigines in
Australia. Media Development 1,16-18.
Eric. 1985. Constraints on knowledge in an economy of oral
information. Current Anthropology
Eric. 1985. Ask a foolish question. On the methodologies of
cultural media research. Australian Journal of Cultural
- Wild, Stephen. 1984. Warlbiri music and culture: meaning in
central Australian song series, in Problems and Solutions.
Occasional essays in Musicology presented to Alice M. Moyle,
Jamie C. Kassler & Jill Stubington. Sydney: Hale &
ISBN 0 86806 148 4 416pp. $30.
- Stead, Jeff. A claim to Chilla Well Pastoral
Lease by the
Warlpiri. January 1984. Appendix by P. Wafer, July 1983. A
Land Council submission on behalf of the traditional owners of the land
- Scheffler, Harold W. 1984. Review of Heath et al (eds.)
- Rumble, John. 1984. Central Australian Aboriginal Child
Agency. Research Report. 76+36pp. Funded by Department of Social
Security 30th August, 1984. Chap.3 Alice Springs - Town Area. Chap.4
Yuendumu, pp.34-50. Chap. 5 Ayers Rock. Chap.6 Docker River.
- Phipps, Jennifer. 1984. Entre Deux Mondes. Australians in
Age Monthly Review 3.9(January),11-13.
- Jones, Megan Llinos. 1984. A culture in motion: a study of
interrelationship of dancing, sorrowing, hunting, and fighting as
performed by the Warlpiri women of Central Australia. xvi+437pp. M.A.
Thesis - University of Hawaii. * AIATSIS Library MS 2108 *
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Comprehensive analysis of the
movements of yawulyu (women's ritual), kankarlu (dances for boy
initiates), initiation ceremonies and sorry business and the
structurally similar non formal movements of hunting, camping out and
fighting includes detailed ethnographic accounts of both sacred (open)
and secular occasions focussing on relationships between participants,
emic and etic meanings attached to movement and body transfiguration,
techniques, implements (including ritual); the analysis focusses on the
intercontextuality of movements (shared patterns) and the
interrelationship of contexts (the role of movement in building up
systems of environmental and cosmological meaning); Appendices include
Benesh Movement Notation for dance, sign language, sorrowing, hunting
and fighting movements; based on fieldwork at Willowra
- Gumbert, Marc. 1984. Neither justice nor reason.
A legal and
anthropological analysis of Aboriginal land rights. St Lucia:
University of Queensland Press. xvii+215pp. ISBN 0 7022 1746 8
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1984. Object Id: 83320. In Aerials
1984: Lajamanu and the Tanami desert. ODSAS: http://www.odsas.fr/scan_sets.php?doc=83320.
[accessed: 2012/8/7] * short history of Lajamanu Warlpiri
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1984. Viol et inviolabilité: un
mythe territorial en Australie centrale. Cahiers de
Littérature Orale 14,125-150.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1984. Les Aborigènes à Paris. Change
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1984. III. Au pays du Dreamland et de
terre rouge: les aborigènes. Autrement Hors-série
7 (Avril 1984):133-183. (Sur la piste des droits à la terre
130-147; Le serpent Arc-en-Ciel veille sur l'Île Mornington
148-160; Les tribus du Rêve cybernétique 161-183.) 70F.
ISSN 0336 5816
- Dubinskas, Frank A. & Sharon Traweek. 1984. Closer
ground: a reinterpretation of Walbiri iconography. Man
- Cribbin, John. 1984. The killing times. The
1928. 168pp. Sydney: Fontana Books. ISBN 0 00 636583 3 $6.95.
[Extract in Canberra Times 19/5/84.]
- Combe, Colleen E. 1984. Making the curriculum
Report of a Total Curriculum Development Exercise in Lajamanu School.
iii+76pp. ISBN 0-949887-10-2.
- Combe, Colleen E. 1984. Lajamanu School Statement
[iv]+24pp. ISBN 0-949887-08-0.
- Charlesworth, Max, Howard Morphy, Diane Bell & Ken
(eds). 1984. Religion in Aboriginal Australia - an anthology.
Eric. 1984. Aboriginal Australians and the New World
Order. Media Information in Australia 34,51-61.
to the ANU Public Affairs Forum on Aborigines and International Law,
Eric & Leonard Japanangka Granites. 1984. The cost of
Yuendumu. Media Information Australia. The
Quarterly Journal of
Media Research and Resources. 32(May),17-25. Prepublication draft 'The
costs of video in an Aboriginal community' submitted to CAAMA during
the Second Conference of NAIBA, Alice Springs, 23-26 October 1983. 14pp.
Eric & Frances Jupurrula Kelly. . The social
of an Aboriginal video workplace. Australian Aboriginal
1984/number 1:26-34. [17+2pp. Working Draft, 19 April 1984. A.I.A.S.]
Also pp.89-93 in Programme: 3rd International Video and
Festival, ed. by M. Bongiovanni. (Montbeliard: Centre
Culturelle de Montbeliard, 1986).
- Young, Elspeth. 1983. Income and employment for women in
communities: examples from the Northern Territory, Gale (ed.)
- Young, Elspeth. 1983. Continuité et changement dans la
mobilité des aborigÃ¨nes: les Warlpiri du
désert central australien. L'Espace Géographique
no.1,33-45. [Doin, 8, place de l'Odéon, Paris-VIe.]
- Stead, Jeffrey. 1983. A Report to the Central Land Council
Land Ownership in the Granites area. [Darwin]: [Aboriginal] Sacred
Sites Authority. 1/8/83. 27pp.
- Sawenko, Anatoly. 1983. Careless with the facts: land
film. Land Rights News Central Australia 17
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1983. Rights, residence and process in
Australian territorial organisation, pp.134-145 in Aborigines,
and Land Rights , ed. by Nicolas Peterson and Marcia Langton.
A.I.A.S. New Series No.42. Canberra: A.I.A.S.
- Nathan, Pam [Napurrula] & Dick Leichleitner
1983b. Settle Down Country. Pmere Arlaltyewele.
Vic.: Kibble Books & Alice Springs: Central Australian
Congress. xiv+207pp. $8.50. ISBN 0 909150 05 9.
- Nathan, Pam [Napurrula] & Dick Leichleitner
1983a. Health Business: a report for the Central
Aboriginal Congress. xv+216pp. $10 (from Congress)/$13 (bookshops).
ISBN 0 85859 286 X
- Myers, Fred R. & Bette E. Clark. A claim to areas
traditional land by the Warlpiri, Kukatja, and Ngarti. First draft,
72pp. Central Land Council, May 1983.
- Miller, Maria [Nampijinpa]. 1983. Changes in the Games and
Pastimes of Australian Aborigines. M.A. thesis in Ergonomics,
University of California at Santa Barbara. January 1983. 152pp. 21
- [Millikan, David ?] 1983. Island of light. Cover title; Catalogue
for 1 hour TV documentary. Production House, Lyneham, ACT. * AIATSIS
Library call number p ISL * annotation: Brief description of the film
Island of Light.
David. 1983. [poster] Island of light premiere, Nova Theatre, Monaro
St. Queanbeyan, Tues 28 June 8 pm * AIATSIS Library call number M 823
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1983. Manifestations symboliques
transition économique: le 'Juluru', culte intertribal du
'cargo'. (Australie occidentale et centrale). L'Homme
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1983. Death, women, and 'value
the circulation of hair strings among the Walpiri of the Central
Australian Desert. (Maisons des Sciences de l'Homme). Ethnology.
An International Journal of Cultural and Social Anthropology.
Pittsburgh. 22(3) July 1983:225-239.
- Gale, Fay (ed.) 1983. We Are Bosses Our-selves.
status and role of Aboriginal women today. x+175pp. Canberra: A.I.A.S.
New Series No. 41. ISBN 085575 138 X (from 1980 ANZAAS Congress,
- Drillon, Jacques?? . 1983. Des shows cachés depuis la
création du monde. pp.107-108. de Gubernatis, Raphael. 1983. Le
Geste-fossile. p.107. Huser, France. 1983. Monna Lisa, Warhol at les
Warlpiris. p.108. Le Nouveau Observateur.
- Clynes, Manfred. 1983. Expressive microstructure in music, linked
to living qualities, pp.76-181 in Studies of Music Performance
(J. Sundberg, editor) Papers given at a seminar organized by the Music
Acoustics Committee of the Royal Swedish Academy of Music. Publications
issued by the Royal Swedish Academy of Music No. 39 * see alsoClynes
& Nettheim 1982 * testing at Yuendumu https://www.speech.kth.se/music/publications/kma/papers/kma39-ocr.pdf
- Briane, J.F. 1983. Le Paris des aborigènes. Liberation
15/16 octobre. p.37.Aubry, Chantal. 1983. Libé 8/9
- Bell, Diane. 1983. Daughters of the Dreaming.
McPhee Gribble, North Sydney: George Allen & Unwin. 297pp. ISBN
86861 472 6. * Reviewed by Eric Kolig Australian Aboriginal
Discussed by Hamilton 1986 * 2nd edition: see Bell 1993
- D'un autre continent: l'Australie le rêve et le
réel. 1983. Ministère des relations
extérieures ARC/ Musée d'Art de la Ville de Paris. 4
octobre - 4 décembre 1983. 90F. (M. Léon Paroissen,
Eric. Television - Drawing the Line: research approaches for
example of remote Aboriginal communities. AIAS Seminar 21 April 1983,
Eric. 1983. Aboriginal Australians and the New World
Order. Presentation to the ANU Public Affairs Conference Aborigines
and International Law November 1983, Canberra. 10pp. + 8pp.
Eric and Peter Toyne. 1983. Out of touch: the costs of not
telephone in a remote community. 9pp. [Yuendumu, late 1983.]
- Aboriginal Cultural Foundation. 1983. Linking the tribal chain. Yulngu
2.9.47-55. * AIATSIS abstract: account of inter-tribal Festival
Gathering at Lajamanu (Hooker Creek)
- Russo, Cos & Stephen G. Harris. 1982. Developing an
Aboriginal written literature, pp.51-65 in Aboriginal
bridging the gap, ed. by Ruth Lipscombe & Don Burnes.
Australian Reading Association Inc. (P.O. Box 187, Rozelle NSW 2039)
ISBN 0 9596613 9 5
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1982. Service delivery and dependency,
economic watershed of the eighties, pp.56-61 in Service
Remote Communities, ed. by Peter Loveday. Darwin: North Australia
Research Unit, ANU. ISBN 0 86784 200 8
- Peterson, Nicolas & Elspeth Young. 1982. Land
Mount Allan Pastoral Lease. 30pp. Alice Springs: Central Land
- Nash, David. 1982. Aboriginal knowledge of the aeroplane
'Kookaburra'. Aboriginal History 6.1,61-73.
- Millikan, David. 1982. Zadok Centre News,
- Lorham, Chris. 1982. Kumajay's case: A NT record of
Law Bulletin 3(April),3-4.
- Jones, Megan Llinos. 1982. Movements to live by for the
women of central Australia. [i]+15pp. typescript Paper presented at the
Australian Anthropological Society meeting, Aug. 1982, Canberra(?).
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Analysis of the roles,
semantics of dance movements in both formal and non-formal contexts;
compares women's body movements in gathering and hunting techniques
with those used in dance
- Eller, John David. 1982. [Map with 381 Warlpiri place
area between Lat. 22° 00'S and 22° 45'S, Long
130° 30'E and 132° 00'E. Some additional names
original by David Nash. Based on field work September-October 1982
primarily with Jack Jakamarra Ross and with the assistance of Wendy
Baarda. Index compiled by David Nash.]. Cardboard ms. in two sheets.
Yuendumu. Copy held at Yuendumu Community Council (yellow cardboard)
and Warlpiri Literature Production Centre (original, orange cardboard).
- Gerritsen, Rolf. 1982. Blackfellas and whitefellas: the politics
of service delivery to remote Aboriginal communities in the Katheriine
region, pp.16-31 in Service delivery to remote communities, ed.
by Peter Loveday. Darwin; Australian National University, North
Australia Research Unit. * includes reference to Lajamanu * 1981
conference version: 'Thoughts on Camelot : from Herodians and Zealots
to the contemporary politics of remote Aboriginal settlement in the
- Clynes, M. and N. Nettheim. 1982. The Living Quality of Music:
Neuro-biologic Basis of Communicating Feeling, pp.47-82 in Music,
Mind and Brain: The Neuropsychology of Music, ed. by M. Clynes. New
Plenum Press. * testing at Yuendumu
- Breen, Marcus. 1982. David Millikan talks to Marcus Breen. Cinema
Papers 39 (Aug),332-333,393. * interview about A Shifting
- Breen, Marcus. 1982. A Shifting Dreaming: a dramatized
documentary. Cinema Papers 39 (Aug),330,331,393.
- Bell, Diane. 1982. Aboriginal Women and the Religious
The Young Australian Scholar Lecture Series. Number Three. 16pp.
Bedford Park, SA: Australian Association for the Study of Religions
(Sturt Campus of the SACAE). * also published pp.237-256 in Traditional
Aboriginal Society: a reader, ed. by W.H. Edwards. MacMillan.
- Bell, Diane. 1982. Oustations: Reflections from the Centre,
pp.85-92 in Service delivery to outstations, ed. by P. Loveday.
Monograph. [Papers prepared for NARU conference Darwin December 1981].
Darwin: Australian National University North Australia Research Unit.
ISBN 0 86784 160 5 xii+97pp. $4.50
- Barwick, R.E. 1982. The anatomy of an aircraft: a Warlpiri
engraving. Aboriginal History 6 (June/ Dec),74-80. * aircraft
engraved on Warlpiri pearlshell pendants
- Aboriginal Land Commission. 1982. Warlmanpa,
Mudbura and Warumungu Land Claim. Report by the Aboriginal
Commissioner to the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs and to the
Administrator of the Northern Territory. Canberra: A.G.P.S.
- Aboriginal Land Commission. 1982. Kaytej,
Warlmanpa land claim. Report by the Aboriginal Land
Mr. Justice Toohey, to the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs and to the
Administrator of the Northern Territory. No. 14. Australian Government
Publishing Service. [cat. no.8206696] viii+66pp.
Paul. 1982. Australian Aboriginal rock art and the sense of
Indian Rock Art 9,96-113. * AIATSIS Library annotation: Wall
engravings and markings representing Dreamtime occurrences; situated at
Koonalda Cave, Yuendumu, Black Hill Pool, Carnarvon Range and Pilbara *
p.98 The Granites petroglyph, p.100 Ngama
- Young, Elspeth. 1981. Tribal Communities in Rural
The Aboriginal Component in the Australian Economy, 1. Canberra and
- Australian Law Reform Commission. 19.
Aboriginal Customary Law Offences. Aboriginal Customary Law as a Ground
of Criminal Liability.
455. The Lajamanu Submission. * refers to Transcript of Public Hearings
Alice Springs (13 April 1981), M Luther, pages 1281-1300.
- Koch, Harold, Grace Koch, Petronella Wafer & James
1981. A claim to areas of traditional land by the Kaytej,
and Warlmanpa. Alice Springs: Central Land Council, July 1981.
- Kimber, R.G. 1981. Some thoughts on stone arrangements Artefact
6 (Dec 1981),10-18.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1981. Le Rêve et la terre: Rapports
au temps et à l'espace des Aborigènes australien -- les
Warlpiris Ã Lajamanu, une communauté de
désert central. Thése de 3-me cycle. Université
Paris VII, Jussieu .
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1981. Affaire de femmes ou femmes
d'affaires. Les Walpiri du Désert Central Australien. Journal
de la Société des Océanistes (Paris)
70-71[:77-97]. Tome XXXVII. mars-juin 1981.
- Gerritsen, Rolf. 1981. Thoughts on Camelot : from Herodians
Zealots to the contemporary politics of remote Aboriginal settlement in
the Northern Territory. [Canberra : Australian National University]. *
- Bell, Diane. 1981. Daughters of the dreaming. Thesis
(Ph.D.), Department of Archaeology and Anthropology, Australian
- Wafer, J. & P. Wafer. 1980.The Lander
Land Claim to Willowra Pastoral Lease. Alice Springs: Central
- Nash, David. 1980. A Traditional Land Claim by
Warlpiri, Mudbura and Warumungu Traditional Owners. Alice
Central Land Council, 1980.
- Jones, Mary. 1980. The history of sacred and
dance in Australia. Nelen Yubu 1980; 6; 3-18 *
Aboriginal dance; increasing white interest; recent developments in
tribal areas, e.g. Warlpiri at Yuendumu and Lajamanu
- Jackomos, Alick. 1980. Yuendumu Sports Weekend 10th, 1-4
August 1980. Typescript article, dated 11.8.80, with list of 6
photographs; "courtesy Alice Springs Star". item 58 in Records
of the Aboriginal Publications Foundation, MS3781, AIATSIS Library.
- Harris, Pam. 1980. Measurement in tribal
communities. xvi+141pp. ISBN 0724504575 (pbk.) [Darwin?]:
Territory Department of Education.
- Hale, Kenneth L. 1980. Warlpiri: Traditional Aboriginal
Owners. ARC [Anthropology Resource Center] Newsletter
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1980. Les Aborigènes sortent de
leurs réserves. [Aboriginal people come out of the reserve.] Le
Monde du Dimanche (17
février),16; repris en anglais 'Out of reserves and into tribal
lands', The Guardian March 9, 1980.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1980. En Australie, je suis devenue
rêve d'un lezard. Actuel (1980) 9/10,122-33, col.
- Fleming, Rev. Tom. [1980?]. A History of the Aboriginal
57pp. fscp roneo. [Alice Springs.]
- Bell, Diane R. 1980. Desert politics: choices in the
market', pp.239-69 in Women and colonization: anthropological
perspectives, ed. by Mona Etienne & Eleanor Leacock.
- Aboriginal Land Commission. 1980. Lander Warlpiri
land claim to Willowra Pastoral Lease. Report by the
Land Commissioner to the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs. Canberra:
- Wild, Stephen A. 1979. A
public song series of Central Australia : paper presented to
National Conference of the Musicological
Society of Australia, Monash University, 18-21 May
1979. i+22pp. *
AIATSIS Library PMS
- Tynan, Barbara Joan. 1979. Medical systems in conflict : a
of power [among the Warlpiri]. Diploma of Anthropology thesis,
University of Sydney. [ix]+226pp. * AIATSIS Library, Ms 1333
- AIATSIS annotation: Traditional illness and medicine among
Walbiri at Warrabri; effect of western contact on traditional life;
establishment of Warrabri, western medical philosophy; western medical
practice with Northern Territory Aborigines; Walbiri use of traditional
and western services; decision making processes on which service to use
and power relationship between the systems.
- Peterson, N. 1979. Aboriginal uses of Australian Solanaceae, pp.
171–90 in J. G. Hawkes, R. N. Lester and A. D. Skelding (eds), The
Biology and Taxonomy of the Solanaceae. Linnean Society Symposium
Series No. 7 London: Academic Press.
- Glowczewski, Barbara. 1979. Femmes ou 'business-women' du
désert central australien? Des femmes en mouvements Hebdo
- Australia. Dept. of Aboriginal Affairs. 1979. Lajamanu
Overview report. [Canberra] : Dept. of Aboriginal Affairs. 23 leaves :
30 cm. * NLA call number Nq 305.89915 L191
- Whitbourn, John A. 1978. Emerging patterns in Aboriginal
Christianity, with special reference to Christian missions. Warrabri
Baptist Church. [ii], 66 l. * AIATSIS Library Call number MS 1440
- Waterman, Patricia Panyity. 1978. A tale-type index of
Australian Aboriginal oral narratives. Thesis (Ph. D.) -- University of
California, Berkeley. http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/215975423
* lists some published Warlpiri sources * published 1987
- Scheffler, Harold W. 1978. Australian kin
Cambridge Studies in Social Anthropology 23. Cambridge University
Press. xxi+569pp. * Warlpiri: pp.327-360,504-531
- Read, Peter and Engineer Jack Japaljarri. 1978. The price
tobacco: the journey of the Warlmala to Wave Hill, 1928. Aboriginal
- Peterson, Nicolas, Patrick McConvell, Ste[ph]en Wild
Hagen. 1978. A claim to areas of traditional land by the
and Kartangarurru - Kurintji, 1978. Prepared at the
the Central Land Council on behalf of the Walpiri and Kartangarurru -
Kurintji. Revised Version. vi+102+8+pp. Alice Springs: Central Land
- Kesteven, Susan Leighton. 1978. A sketch of Yuendumu and
outstations. M.Env.Stud. dissertation, A.N.U. vii+94pp. 2 microfiches.
* NLA Nq 320.994 CUR
- Faulstich, Paul. 1978. Of earth and dreaming abstraction
naturalism in Warlpiri art, pp.19-23 in Comment on Aboriginal land
rights, by Eric Pratt. * AIATSIS Library P PRA, PAMPHLET NO. P 015461
- Education Department of Western Australia. 1978.
Syllabus with Notes, Pre-Primary to Year 7.
- Aboriginal Land Commission. 1978. Claim by the
Kartangarurru-Kurintji. Report by the Aboriginal Land
to the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs and to the Minister for the
Northern Territory. Canberra: A.G.P.S.
- Wild, Stephen A. 1977/78. Men as women: female dance
Walbiri men's rituals. Dance Research Journal
based on work at Hooker Creek, NT * AIATSIS Library p WIL
- Shannon, Valda Naburula. 1977. I dream. [poem] Northern
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1977. Aboriginal uses of Australian
Solanaceae, in The Biology and Taxonomy of the Solanaceae,
by J. Hawkes. London: Academic Press. Paper delivered at conference on
Biology and Taxonomy of the Solanaceae, Birmingham, 13-17 July 1976.
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1977. Aboriginal involvement with the
Australian economy in the Central Reserve during the Winter of 1970,
pp.136-46 in Aborigines and Change: Australia in the 70s,
ed. by RM Berndt. Canberra: AIAS.
- O'Grady, Frank. 1977. Francis of Central
Australia. 154pp. ISBN 0 85587 114 8 Sydney: Wentworth Books.
- Kimber, R.G. c1977. Australian desert Aboriginals
Walpiri and the Pintubi. [Kit]. North Sydney, NSW: Aboriginal
Arts & Crafts. 1 booklet (60pp.), map and 67 slides in container;
16 x 8 cm. ISBN 0959697101 "Approved by the Aboriginal Arts Board of
the Australia Council." http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/21052517
* NLA call number Nmt 25 * available from The Marketing Manager,
Aboriginal Arts & Crafts Pty Ltd, 41 McLarent Street, North
- Lajamanu — Hooker Creek : book of the community.
[Darwin]: Dept.of Aboriginal Affairs. 13pp. http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-52839115
* "A brief description of the
physical, social and economic situation of the Lajamanu community,
Northern Territory, 1977"--Cover.
- Parlette, Llewellyn Morris. 1976. The Walbiri and Px`intubi
of central Australia [microform] : desert nomads or settlement wards? 3
microfiches (158 fr.) : negative, maps. Thesis (M.A.) - San Diego: San
Diego State University. * NLA
Microcopy mcN 289
- Middleton, Margaret R. & Sarah H. Francis. 1976. Yuendumu
its Children. Life and health on an Aboriginal settlement.
A.G.P.S. vi+221pp. ISBN 0 642 02125 2 * Reports the work and findings
of the Aboriginal Infant Morbidity Project carried out between 1969 and
1971 at Yuendumu
- Holm, Neil & Keith R. McConnochie. 1976 . Time perspective in Aboriginal children, pp.275-287 in Aboriginal cognition; retrospect and prospect ed. by George E. Kearney
& D.W. McElwain. Canberra; [Atlantic Highlands], New Jersey;
Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies; Humanities Press
- Holm, Neil & Lionel Japanangka. 1976. The mathematics of
playing in an Aboriginal community. The Aboriginal Child at
linked from https://aiatsis.gov.au/collections/collections-online/digitised-collections/ethnomathematics-australia/contents
- Wild, Stephen A. 1975. Walbiri music and dance in their
and cultural nexus. Indiana University dissertation.
- Fine, Michael. 1975. An analysis of adopted cults in
Australia: social groups and ritual amonst the Walbiri and Aranda. U.
Sydney B.A. (Hons). 60,pp. diag., map. * Coppell 1977:25
John. 1974. Medicine is
the law : studies in
psychiatric anthropology of Australian tribal societies.
Adelaide: Rigby. * annotation: "Transcultural psychiatry,
development among the Walbiri at Yuendumu; Aboriginal doctor, medicine
and law among Walbiri, …"
- Sheehan, Peter W. 1973. The variability of eidetic imagery
Australian Aboriginal children [at Bamyili and Hooker Creek Reserves]. J.
Social Psychol. 91,29-36. * AIATSIS Library p SHE
- Munn, Nancy D. 1973. The spatial representation of cosmic order
in Walbiri iconography, Chapter 11, pp.193-220 in Primitive art and
edited by Anthony Forge. London: OUP. ISBN 0-19-212953-8 * Papers
delivered at a symposium sponsored by the Wenner-Gren Foundation for
Anthropological Research, held in Burg Wartenstein from 27 June to 5
- see Munn 1986 .
- Corden, Margaret W. 1973. The dietary situation at Yuendumu
and Papunya, pp.10-48 in Some Observations on the Diets and
of Aboriginal People in Central Australia. ts. Commonwealth
Department of Health.
- Williamson, JJ & MJ Barrett. 1972. Oral health of
Australian Aborigines : endemic dental fluorosis. Australian
Dental Journal 17.4,266-268. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1972.tb04929.x
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Study of 202 Wailbri and Pintubi
children and young adults at Yuendumu, methods used, results,
discussion - incidence of fluorosis, comparison with U.S. children,
high water consumption
- Meggitt, Mervyn J. 1972. Understanding Australian
society: kinship systems or cultural categories?, pp.64-87 in Kinship
Studies in the Morgan centennial Year, ed. P. Reining.
Washington, D.C.: Anthropological Society of Washington. 190pp.
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1972. Derby talks to Nicolas Peterson :
(Yuendumu, August 1972). 12 pages typescript. * AIATSIS Library pMS 1389
- Anon. 1972. New museum will house sacred Aboriginal objects. Journal
of the Royal Historical Society of Queensland 9.3,216-8. http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:210077/s00855804_1971_1972_9_3_216.pdf
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1971. The structure of two Australian
Aboriginal ecosystems. PhD thesis, Dept of Anthropology, University of
- Holm, Neil. 1971. Future time perspective in children from
three Northern Territory Aboriginal communities. B.A.(Hons.) thesis,
University of New England, Armidale, NSW * AIATSIS Library MS 1256
- Barrett, Murray J. & Tasman Brown. 1971. Growth
study of Australian Aborigines. Terminal Progress Report. In Collected
Papers and Reports, 1953-1973. University of Adelaide,
Department of Restorative Dentistry, 1976.
- Peterson, Nicolas. . Buluwandi: a Central Australian
ceremony for the resolution of conflict. In Australian
anthropology: modern studies in the social anthropology of the
Australian Aborigines, ed. by Ronald Murray Berndt.
[Nedlands]: Published for the AIAS by the University of Western
Australia Press. * Papers presented at Social Anthropology symposium
during AIAS General Meeting, Canberra, May 1968.
- Munn, Nancy. 1970. The transformation of subjects into
Walbiri and Pitjantjatjara mythology, in R. Berndt (ed.) 1970. Australian Aboriginal
Perth: University of Western Australia Press.
- [Anon.] . Yuendumu : Tjaru. Yuendumu Social Club
Incorporated. [i], 38 p., b&w photographs * AIATSIS call number p
YUE * http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/50561026
- [Anon.] 1970. [Stories of the shields]. 12p. typescript. AIATSIS
Library MS 594 * deposited by Adrian Fleming * AIATSIS Library
"Twenty shields from Yuendumu collected for A.I.A.S., for each gives
name of artist (Wailbri & Pintubi tribes), brief version of story,
associated topographical features near settlement, features of designs
symbolising parts of story"
- Peterson, N. 1969. Secular and ritual links: two basic and
opposed principles of Australian social organisation as illustrated by
Walbiri ethnography. Mankind 7,27–35.
- Morrison, Albert. 1969. How the frogmouth obtained his flat
[manuscript]. 1p. * NLA Manuscript Reading Room MS 2745
- NLA annotation: Account of an Aboriginal legend from the
dreamtime. Albert Morrison is a 15 year old Northern Territory
Aboriginal of the Wailbri tribe. This story won for him the first
Harney Award, an annual award inaugurated by the Welfare Branch of the
Northern Territory Administration in 1969.
- Gutwirth, Linda. 1969. The role of male initiation rites
the Walbiri of central Australia. iii+25pp. M.A. Thesis - City
University of New York. * AIATSIS Library PMS 3238
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Suggests that male initiation
among the Walbiri of central Australia are an important device for
regulating population in relation to natural resources
- Mountford, Charles P. 1968. Winbaraku and the
Jarapiri. Rigby. xix+116pp.
- Blows, Johanna Mieke. 1968. A comparative study of the
Gunabibi-Gadjari complex in four Aboriginal tribes of the Northern
Territory. 84+[iv]pp. B.A. (Hons.) Thesis - University of Sydney. *
AIATSIS Library MS 100; MF121
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Meaning of the Murngin myth of
Wawilak Sisters and its association with the Gunabibi ritual;
interpretations of the myth by Levi-Strauss and Roheim; occurrence of
the myth with the Murngin, Mara, Murinbata and Walbiri
- Strehlow, T.G.H. 1967. Review of Gadjari among the Walbiri
Aborigines of Central Australia by M.J. Meggitt (Oceania Monograph
14) Australian Book Review 6. 9,140.
- Kidson, M.A. 1967. Psychiatric disorders in the Walbiri, central
Australia. Aust NZ J Psychiatry 1.1(March),14-22. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/00048676709160883
- Greenway, John. 1967. [Review of 1965 film] Ngoora: a
place / produced by the University of Adelaide for the Australian
Institute of Aboriginal Studies. American Anthropologist
- Odling-Smee, David. 1967. Observations of the value of
schools for Aboriginal boys, based on the experience of Yuendumu boys
at Geelong Church of England Grammar School, December 2nd - 15th, 1966.
AIATSIS Library annotation: Discusses adaptability, choice of boys,
- Anon. . 'General details of Papunya and Yuendumu' 3pp.
[NT Administration.] Copy in Series 15, item 46, Records
Aboriginal Publications Foundation, MS3781, AIATSIS Library.
- Meggitt, Mervyn John. 1966. Gadjari among the Walbiri
of Central Australia. Oceania 36.3,-213;
37.1,-48; no.2,-147. Oceania Monographs
14, 1967 * out
of print * reviewed by Strehlow 1967
- Campbell, Thomas Draper. 1966. Aboriginal food on a
central Australia, pp.151-155 in 'The Ecology of the Aboriginal in
South and Central Australia' by J.B. Cleland, pp.111-158 in Aboriginal
Man in South and Central Australia, ed. by B.C. Cotton. Handbook
of the Flora and Fauna of South Australia, issued by the
Australian Branch of the British Science Guild Handbooks Committee.
Part I. Adelaide: S.A. Government Printer.
- Prasada Rao, P.D. 1965. Finger and palm prints of the
children at Yuendumu settlement in central Australia. Oceania 35.4,
- Northern Territory Administration. Welfare Branch. 1965. Warrabri
Aboriginal Reserve. May, 1965. 26pp. (other editions in 1960,
* copy at AIATSIS Library
- Jones, Trevor Alan. 1965. * see wlp-song-ref.html
- Hartwig, M.C. 1965. The progress of white settlement in the
Springs District and its effects upon the Aboriginal inhabitants
1860-1894. University of Adelaide. Ph.D. thesis. 669pp.
- Gresham, H, Tasman Brown, MJ Barrett. 1965. Skeletal and
patterns in children from Yuendumu, Central Australia, and Melbourne. Australian
Dental Journal 10.6(Dec),462-8. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1965.tb01674.x
* uses 1961 and 1962
- Cawte, J.E. and M.A. Kidson. 1965. Ethnopsychiatry in central
Australia II. The evolution of illness in a Walbiri lineage. The
British Journal of Psychiatry 111,1079-1085 http://dx.doi.org/10.1192/bjp.111.480.1079
- Brown, T. 1965. Craniofacial variations in a Central
tribe: a radiographic investigation of young adult males and females.
Adelaide: Libraries Board of S.A. (University of Adelaide M.D.S.
thesis, 1963.) xii+182pp.
MJ, T. Brown, and Elizabeth A. Fanning. 1965. A long-term study of the
dental and craniofacial characteristics of a tribe of Central
Australian aborigines. Australian Dental Journal
10.1(February),63–68. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1965.tb01603.x
- Munn, Nancy. 1964. Totemic designs and group continuity in
Walbiri cosmology. In M. Reay (ed.) Aborigines
now: new perspectives in the study of Aboriginal communities,
pp. 83-100. Sydney: Angus & Robertson.
- Brown, T. and M.J. Barrett. 1964. A roentgenographic study of
facial morphology in a tribe of Central Australian aborigines. American
Journal of Physical Anthropology 22.1(March),33–42. DOI: 10.1002/ajpa.1330220114
- Barrett, MJ, T. Brown, and K.M. Cellier. 1964. Tooth eruption
sequence in a tribe of Central Australian aborigines. American
Journal of Physical Anthropology 22.1(March),79–89. DOI:
10.1002/ajpa.1330220119 * Yuendumu
- Strehlow, T.G.H. 1963. Review of Desert People by M.J.
Meggitt (Angus and Robertson, 1962). Nation 110(12 January
- Munn, Nancy. 1963. The Walbiri sand story. Australian
Territories 3.6,37–44. * reprinted in Cohen (ed.) 2016
- Lockwood, Douglas. 1963. We, the Aborigines.
Australia Ltd. * Walkabout Pocketbook edition 1970 Ure Smith, Sydney *
portraits of several Warlpiri individuals at Yuendumu, Warrabri
- Glenn, E. 1963. Warlpiri and State Department graphics. American
- Barrett, M.J., T. Brown, and M.R. Macdonald. 1963. Dental
observations on Australian aborigines: a roentgenographic study of
prognathism. Australian Dental Journal 8.5(October), 418–427.
DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1963.tb02648.x * Yuendumu
- Attenborough, David. 1963. Quest
under Capricorn. London: Lutterworth Press. ISBN-13:
paperback, 1967 * Chap. 10 'Men of the
pp.144-162 * monochrome photographs, and colour frontispiece 'The old
men smeared the ochre on their bodies and on the sacred stones:
Yuendumu' * The early years: Quest under Capricorn
(audio cassette) BBC Consumer Publishing, 2001, ISBN-13:
- Adler, Selma. 1963. Contemporary change in a central
society. Urbana, Illinois. iv+85ll. M.A. Thesis - University of Illinois
- * Study of the Walbiri community on Mt Doreen station;
on changing family structure and increasing matrifocality. * AIATSIS
Library MS 1321
- Munn, Nancy D. 1962. Walbiri graphic signs: an analysis. American
Anthropologist 64,972-984. http://www.jstor.org/stable/666947
- Meggitt, Mervyn J. 1962. Desert People. A study
Walbiri Aborigines of Central Australia. Sydney: Angus
Roberston. Reprinted 1965, Chicago, London: University of Chicago
Press; Toronto: University of Toronto Press. * reviewed by Strehlow 1963
- Anonymous. 1960. Warrabri
Aboriginal reserve. Dawn (August),12-19. http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/collections/exhibitions/dawn/docs/v09/s08/August_1960.pdf
- Northern Territory Administration. Welfare Branch. 1960. Warrabri
Aboriginal reserve, Central Australia. 49pp., map http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/26940351
* other editions in 1961,
- Hartwig, M.C. 1960. The Coniston killings. Unpublished B.A.
thesis, University of Adelaide, 1960.
- Cran, James Alexander. 1960. The histological structure of
teeth of Central Australian Aborigines and the relationship to dental
caries incidence. Australian Dental Journal 5.2
100-104. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1960.tb03159.x
AIATSIS Library annotation: Investigation of histological structure of
teeth of 30 adult Central Australian Aborigines from Yuendumu
settlement; characteristics of enamel ; low incidence of dental caries
due to low content of refined carbohydrate in diet
- Cran, James Alexander. 1959. The relationship of diet to dental
Journal 4.3(June),182-190. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1959.tb01400.x
* compares Yuendumu and Koonibba *
183 Adelaide Expeditions map
- Northern Territory. Welfare Ordinance 1953-1955, Schedule :
register of wards. Northern Territory Government Gazette
1957, 19B. 272pp. Sydney: "Truth" and "Sportsman" Ltd., Printers. *
AIATSIS Library B N874.04/W1
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Lists area of residence, name,
name, tribe, sex and year of birth of wards.
- Cran, James Alexander. 1957. Notes on the teeth and
Central Australian Aborigines. Australian Dental Journal
2.5(Oct), 277-282. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1957.tb00576.x *
from 1956 visit to Yuendumu * map shows 'Desert
Ground' one-third distance from Chillawell [sic] to The Granites
- Barrett, MJ. 1957. Dental observations on Australian aborigines:
tooth eruption sequence. Australian Dental Journal
2.4(August),217–227. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1957.tb01770.x
- Meggitt, Mervyn J. 1955. Walbiri society, central
MA(Hons) thesis, Dept of Anthropology, University of Sydney.
- Meggitt, Mervyn J. 1955. Djanba among the Walbiri. Australia
- Cran, James Alexander. 1955. Notes on the teeth and
Central Australian Aborigines. Australian journal of dentistry
1955),356-361. * from May 1955 visit to Yuendumu
AIATSIS Library annotation: Yuendumu; Clinical and bacteriological
tests on 118 natives who have adopted civilized food habits
- Cleland, Sir John Burton. 1955. Botanical traverses by
in Central Australia. The
Naturalist 72.8:122-123. * from Sept 1930; concludes with
Springs to Mt Doreen via Yuendumu in August 1951 * no Warlpiri content
- Abbie, A.A. (Andrew Arthur) & W.R. Adey. 1955. The
non-metrical characteristics of a Central Australian tribe. Oceania
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Observations of a single group
Yuendumu settlement of Njalia [sc. Ngalia] people; Attention drawn to
discrepancy in records of the incidence of blondness before and after
- Hansen, Ian V. An account of the Ngalia initiation
Yuendumu, Central Australia, January 1953. Transactions of the Royal
Society of South
Australia Incorporated 77, July 1954.
- Cleland, J.B. and N.B. Tindale. 1954. Ecological
surroundings of the Ngalia natives in Central Australia, and native
names and uses of plants. Transactions
of the Royal Society of South Australia Incorporated 77,
- Campbell, T. D. (Thomas Draper) and M.J. Barrett. 1953.
observations on Australian Aborigines : a changing environment and food
pattern. Australian journal of dentistry 57.1, 1-6.
AIATSIS Library annotation: Adelaide University field work 1951, 1952,
Yuendumu; Aboriginal life at settlement, diet & diet habits
natural conditions, diet pattern on settlement, special food issues,
preparation & consumption, habits
- Barrett, M.J. 1953. Dental observations on Australian
Yuendumu, Central Australia, 1951-52. Australian Journal of
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Age & sex grouping,
examinations, results & discussion on dental caries, occlusal
attrition, condition of gingivae, diet & its effect.
- Abbie, A.A. (Andrew Arthur) & W. R.(Ross) Adey.
Pigmentation in a central Australian tribe with special reference to
Physical Anthropology n.s. 11, 339-359.
- AIATSIS Library Annotation: "Tests on colour of skin, eyes,
on 100 individuals of Ngalia tribe at Yuendumu; Blondness suggested to
be from simple gene mutation" * Materials, methods and results of tests
taken at Yuendumu; Ngalia group of the Walbiri
- Abbie, A.A. (Andrew Arthur) & W. R.(Ross) Adey.
Ossification in a Central Australian tribe. Human Biology 25.4,
AIATSIS Library Annotation: Materials, methods and results of tests
taken at Yuendumu; Ngalia group of the Walbiri
- Harney, William Edward. 1951. Snakes and Aboriginal lore. Walkabout17.11,29-31.
* AIATSIS Library p 6893 * AIATSIS Library annotation: 'waterhole
belief of Wailbri at Barrow Creek' is misleading: p.30
mentions 'djila' a permanent water in the desert west of Barrow Creek
- Harney, William Edward. 1947. Brimming billabongs : the life
story of an Australian Aboriginal. Sydney: Angus
& Robertson. * fictionalised autobiography of an Iwaidja man;
pp.158-72 is set near Central Mount Wedge and "Bigale"; includes a few
- Black, E. Couper & Cleland, Sir John Burton. 1938.
Pathological lesions in Australian Aborigines, Central Australia
(Granites) and Flinders Range. Journal of Tropical Medicine
& Hygiene 41(5),69-83. * AIATSIS p 7873 Photocopy * See Jones
- AIATSIS Library annotation: Describes cases of neoplasms
cysts, muscle, bone and joint diseases; genital and skin diseases,
scars, infections, boomerang leg and yaws & eye & ear
conditions among the Walpiri and Anjamatana
WEH. Aborigines and
Tennant’s Creek. [Letter to editor.] Sydney Morning Herald,
5 August 1936. * about 3/8/1936 item
Creek/ Production of
gold. Pioneers to celebrate. Sydney
Morning Herald, 3 August 1936. * about
to Tennant Creek from south-west and north-west
- Pockley, FJA. 1933. [Journal of 1933 expedition
Mt Liebig.] Published 1995 The
Flight of Ducks. * includes several mentions like this Ngalia
- Cleland, Sir John Burton. 1933. The natives of Central
Australia. Medical Journal of Australia 20 (11 Mar
AIATSIS Library p 5964 ; p 13112 * See Jones 1987
AIATSIS Library annotation: Outline of anthropological work carried out
Mount Liebig 1932 among Ngalia, Pintubi & Yumu, section of
tribe; account of spearing & abduction by 7 men; notes of
cooperation given to party; 6-item summary of tribes & tribal
distribution; European contact to be avoided, physiological
observations, metabolism, pulse, blood pressure, blood grouping,
pathological observations; collection of lizards, grubs & roots
investigation; anthropometric & general anatomical
plaster cast work, photography, legends, songs & stories,
climatology; Team included T.D. Campbell, T. Harvey Johnston, C.S.
Hicks, H.K. Fry, H.M. Hale, N.B. Tindale, E.O. Stocker, J.H. Gray, E.W.
Holden, H. Moore, E. Eldridge
- Baume, Eric. 1933. Tragedy track : the story of The Granites.
- Cleland, Sir John Burton. 1931. Anthropological expedition
Central Australia. Medical Journal of Australia 18
1931),793-796. * AIATSIS Library p 5997; p 13123 *
AIATSIS Library annotation: Brief outline of investigations carried out
Cockatoo Creek 1931; general remarks on environment, type of food,
recent killing case and police retaliation, health of children, cases
of boomerang leg, 'pot bellies', kindly treatment by elders; good
nature, patience, sense of humour; food shared communally, examples,
moral behaviour, marriage, role of women, clothing, remarks on rubbery
nature of soles of feet, technique of bloodletting, 8 class marriage
system common to Anmatjera, Ilpirra, Luritja, Yumi, Ngalia, Walmala
tribes; increase rites and ceremonies; methods used to get information,
blood grouping, morphology, ophthalmology, cognitive ability tested,
basal metabolism; party comprised T.D. Campbell, T. Harvey Johnston,
C.S. Hicks, H.J. Wilkinson, R.H. Pulleine, H.K. Fry, R.F. Matters, H.M.
Hale, N. Tindale, H. Gray, O. Stocker, A. Rau
- Eylmann, Erhard. 1908. Die Eingeborenen der
494p. Berlin: Dietrich Reimer. http://www.archive.org/details/dieeingeborenen00eylmgoog
* traveller along OTL in 1897
* chapters XIV, XIX and XX compiled by Robin Hodgson translated by
Renate Hubel 1994, AIATSIS Library MS 3369 * chapters XVI and XVII
translated by Sherlock
1972 * chapters 10, 12, 13, 14 translated by Gerritsen &
Gerritsen 2002 * see Eylmann 1897, Courto 1990, Courto 1996, Schröder
2002 * p.160: "Im Westen der Waramunga hat ein Stamm seine Wohnsitze,
der Wolperi oder Walperi genannt wird." * included folded map shows
'Wolperi' northwest of Tennant Creek
- Spencer, W.B. & F.J. Gillen. 1904. The northern tribes of
central Australia. London: Macmillan. http://www.archive.org/details/northerntribesc00gillgoog
* pp.100-1, ‘Walpari’ at Tennant Creek may
have been speakers of Warlmanpa
- Spencer, W.B. & F.J. Gillen. 1899. The native tribes of
Australia. London: Macmillan. Republished 1968 New York: Dover
* pp. 90-91, ‘Walpari’ at Tennant Creek may
have been speakers of Warlmanpa; also pp.89, 95
- Eylmann, Erhard. 1897-. [Australian notebooks]. Held at
Kolonial - und Ubersee-Museum zu Bremen. * see Eylmann 1908 etc
Back to Warlpiri