Travel advice

Please remember to get tested if you feel unwell and alert if you are

  • a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19;
  • identified as a potential contact of a case of COVID-19;
  • identified a close contact of a close contact of COVID-19; or
  • notified of a requirement to quarantine.

Travelling within Australia

Stay up to date with the latest ACT Health travel advice and travel in a COVID-safe way. Be aware of restrictions in your destination and when you return to the ACT. Check ACT Health's advice per state and territory for more information.


Official University travel and the Travel Approval eForm

Essential Domestic Travel

The ANU Travel Approval eForm has been re-instated for essential domestic travel requests.

The protocol has recently been amended to allow domestic air travel, provided that travellers undertake the travel in a COVID-safe manner (refer to ANU airline travel principles).

When submitting a Travel Approval eForm, please make sure the relevant WHS Risk Assessment(s) and/or Fieldwork Plan are completed, approved and attached as part of the online travel application.

HDR candidates should look for advice on fieldwork related travel at

Delegation and approvals

The Travel Approval eForm will be submitted to the supervisor for initial approval, then to the Domestic Travel Delegate who holds delegation 458 for final approval.


Travelling to and from overseas

Travel into Australia

Australia's borders are closed. Only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members can travel to Australia. Learn more about who can enter Australia from the Department of Home Affairs.

Information on health screening, quarantine requirements and exemptions is available on the Australian Government website.

Travel out of Australia 

There is a ban on all overseas travel, unless granted an exemption. 

International students

Visit our page on studying remotely overseas for relevant information and support services for our international student community. This includes the latest advice on the pilot program and international student return, and visas.


ANU airline travel principles

Guidance from our Public Health Lead, Professor Tracy Smart

  1. If you have COVID-19 like symptoms travel is not permitted. 
  2. Strict adherence to COVID-safe protocols and any relevant public health restrictions is required during travel.   
  3. It is mandatory for you to wear a face mask if you're flying to, from or within Victoria.  
  4. It is highly recommended that you wear a face mask while travelling to other locations. Masks should be worn at all times while travelling to the airport, at the airport, on the plane and disembarking. Face covering should be worn except when required to eat or drink. 
  5. Travellers must participate in all any screening required by local authorities when disembarking.

If you travel to a hotspot, please speak with your supervisor about the impact to your local area COVID-safe plan. If you need advice on this, please contact the COVID Response Office:

After travelling 

  • If you develop symptoms of COVID-19 after travelling, please isolate and get tested. You need to notify the Community Wellbeing team if you are isolating or have been tested for COVID-19:
  • ACT Health provides up to date public health advice and information on symptoms and getting tested.
  • If you meet the ACT Health criteria for quarantine, you must still complete your full 14-day quarantine period as advised by ACT Health, even if you get a negative test result. 

Risk Assessments

If you are travelling for University work purposes, you must conduct risk assessments when planning your travel.  

  • The first risk assessment should identify all WHS hazards associated with your travel and can be included as a part of your fieldwork/research activities risk assessment on the WHS Hazards and Risks Assessment Template.  
  • The second risk assessment relates to COVID-19 specific exposure hazards. The COVID-19 specific risk assessment template should be used for Research Activities or Fieldwork, to identify your COVID-19 specific hazards and controls.


Home Affairs travel exemptions for HDR students

Directive published: Tuesday 24 November

There are certain circumstances in which travel exemptions will be granted by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs to HDR students. 

The Commissioner of the Australian Border Force has released guidelines on decision making about individual exemptions from Australia's inwards travel restriction policy, available here

Specific reference to students is made in item 1.2: 

Cases that demonstrate circumstances such as those described below, may generally be considered to satisfy the requirements for exemption to inwards travel restrictions. Supporting evidence, sufficient to satisfy the decision maker, should be provided. 

Students who are in their final years of study of a medical, dental, nursing or Allied Health Profession university degree, where they have evidence of a confirmed placement in an Australian hospital or medical practice which commences within the next two months. Allied Health Professions include: Arts therapy, audiology, chiropractic, diagnostic radiographer/medical imaging technologist, dietetics, exercise physiology, genetic counselling, music therapy, occupational therapy, optometry, orthoptics, orthotics/prosthetics, osteopathy, perfusion, physiotherapy, podiatry, psychology, rehabilitation counselling, social work, sonography and speech pathology. 

And item 1.4: 

Further, the Commissioner will personally consider all requests for: 

People who are undertaking research (especially on a Student visa). Any request from a PhD research student should include evidence of support from a relevant Government agency outlining why the research is considered essential and/or in Australia's national interest and how their role is critical to the research. 

For more information on travel restrictions and exemptions, including how to apply, visit the Department of Home Affairs website

ANU will support students who choose to apply for an exemption.

Please note the ANU is not a government agency so the candidate would need support from an Australian Government Agency, for example Australian Research Council (ARC), prior to the ANU providing a letter of support for the candidate to apply for an exemption.

Candidates should seek a letter of support from the government agency directly - except from ARC where candidates must contact their local Research Management team to request a letter of support on their behalf.

Candidates or supervisors should forward the following to ODHDR for approval:

  • Candidates name and UID;
  • Letter of support from the local area (School / College) indicating:
    • the nature of research;
    • why it is of national interest; and
    • why the PhD candidates' role is essential.
  • Letter of support from Government Agency.

Enquiries and complete documents, should be addressed in the first instance to the Dean HDR at

N.B., International HDR candidates who remain onshore in Australia should not assume that they may travel home for personal leave and will then be able to request an exemption for return to Australia, as above. 


Temporary visa holders

The ACT Government is helping temporary visa holders and international students during COVID-19. 

Information is available here.