Provide valuable support and encouragement to students learning English as a second language.
ANU Alumni Relations in collaboration with the ANU Academic Skills & Learning Centre welcomes volunteers to take part in alumni-hosted English language conversation groups for non-English speaking background students.
We all know that learning another language is tough. It takes a lot of time and practice, but students often lack opportunities to speak English outside of lectures and tutorials. Enjoying a conversation led by an ANU alumnus can help students enhance their fluency, build confidence and learn more about local life.
These fun and rewarding groups are designed for students to practice their English in an informal and relaxed environment. Alumni volunteers facilitate discussion on a range of topics, encouraging and supporting the students while passing on their experience and knowledge.
These conversation groups benefit students by:
- Increasing their fluency in spoken English
- Boosting their confidence to participate at university
- Connecting them with their peers and helping them make friends
- Giving them access to experienced ANU Alumni who can share advice and 'insider knowledge' and encourage them in their academic journey.
For alumni volunteers, these conversation groups:
- Are a fun and rewarding way to give back to ANU and its students
- Help you to learn more about other cultures
- Contribute to making ANU and Canberra a great place to study for international students
The Semester Two, 2018 English Conversation Groups will run from 5.30-6.30pm on Mondays, starting 13 August. Most sessions will be held in the Allan Barton Forum, Level 2, CBE Building 26C, The Australian National University, Acton ACT 2601. Occasional schedule conflicts may mean the location changes on some weeks.
Volunteers are asked to commit to at least one session, but may participate in as many sessions as they like. No prior experience is necessary and training will be provided during an Information Session, which will be held on Monday 6 August.
Get in touch with ANU Alumni Relations at email@example.com for more information and to register your interest.
Students who wish to take part in English Conversation Groups, or learn about other opportunities for developing better English speaking and writing skills, should visit the English language webpage on the ANU website.