Development of ANU Below Zero strategy
The University is exploring options for how we can become carbon negative. This could encompass a range of broad approaches:
- Taking action to reduce on-campus and energy related emissions (scope 1&2 emissions)
- Reducing emissions associated with business travel (partial scope 3 emissions)
- Evaluating actions to reduce other significant emissions, including commuter travel, ANU investments, waste, purchasing and procurement (scope 3 emissions)
- Offsetting ANU emissions using socially responsible Australian offsets
- Developing ANU approaches to actively remove GHGs from the atmosphere including research into innovative negative emission technologies
From 31 August to 4 September 2020, ANU researchers from the Research School of Psychology, Dr Samantha Stanley and Dr Zoe Leviston, undertook a baseline survey into attitudes towards climate change and emissions reduction amongst the ANU student and staff community.
Ideas developed in the survey and consultation will be integrated with these approaches to develop the ANU Below Zero strategy.