The University has developed a discussion paper outlining options for how we can become carbon negative. In August 2020, ANU will begin a consultation process with students, staff and alumni, seeking input and advice from the ANU community on our targets, strategies and priorities.
This discussion paper outlines a range of broad approaches:
- Taking action to reduce on-campus and energy related emissions (scope 1&2 emissions)
- Reducing emissions associated with business travel (partial scope 3 emissions)
- Evaluating actions to reduce other significant emissions, including commuter travel, ANU investments, waste, purchasing and procurement (scope 3 emissions)
- Offsetting ANU emissions using socially responsible Australian offsets
- Developing ANU approaches to actively remove GHGs from the atmosphere including research into innovative negative emission technologies
These approaches will be integrated with climate and energy research and education across ANU, to help develop new solutions and exploit a dynamic emissions-reduction test bed for new ideas.
Register your interest in being involved with the ANU Below Zero Initiative by emailing email@example.com.