The Director's Residence is partially restored
The Mt Stromlo Heritage Trail is launched. The Director's Residence is partially restored.
Nobel Prize in Physics
Mt Stromlo's Professor Brian Schmidt and his research partners are awarded the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics.
Partnership to build the Giant Magellan Telescope in Chile
Mt Stromlo astronomers and engineers join an international partnership to build the Giant Magellan Telescope in Chile.
First phase of the Advanced Instrumentation Technology Centre (AITC) completed
In 2006, the first phase of construction is completed on the Advanced Instrumentation Technology Centre (AITC) which will continue the design and manufacturing of astronomical instruments.
Telescopes for visitor outreach
Three small telescopes with domes are constructed in 2005 on the site of the former Workshops for use in visitor outreach.
Bushfires severly impact Canberra and the ANU
On 18 January, Mt Stromlo Observatory is devastated by bushfire. Telescopes, workshops, the original Observatory Building, the Director's Residence and many of the original houses are destroyed, and the Weston research facilities are severely.
The University welcomes new additions
The University Archives is established. The Mount Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories become the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics (RSAA). The Asia Pacific School of Economics and Management (later Government) is established.
The Satellite Laser Ranger Observatory is installed on Mt Stromlo
The Satellite Laser Ranger Observatory is installed on Mt Stromlo. It is built and operated by Electro Optic Systems Pty Ltd for Geoscience Australia.
Evidence that the Universe is expanding at an accelerating rate
Following observations of supernovae, Mt Stromlo researcher Brian Schmidt (along with two other astronomers from the United States) publishes evidence that the Universe is expanding at an accelerating rate.
Opening of the Mt Stromlo Visitor's Centre
The Mt Stromlo Visitor's Centre or 'Exploratory' is opened.
Attempt to solve the mistery of 'dark matter'
Mt Stromlo embarks on the MACHO (Massive Astronomical Compact Halo Objects) project, in an attempt to solve the mystery of the Universe's missing mass 'dark matter'.
Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories become independent centres
Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories separate from the Research School of Physical Sciences to become independent centres within ANU. Prime Minister Bob Hawke and other dignitaries visit Mt Stromlo to observe the close approach of Halley's Comet.
The oldest star is discovered
Stromlo scientists Mike Bessell and John Norris discover the oldest star, a record which stands for over 20 years. The same team reclaimed this title in 2014.
Uppsala Schmidt telescope moves
Uppsala Schmidt telescope moves to Siding Spring Observatory.
Commonwealth Time Service departs
In 1968, the Commonwealth Time Service departs the Mount Stromlo Observatory.
Duffield Building completed
The Duffield Building is constructed to accommodate research students and staff at Mount Stromlo Observatory.
Siding Spring becomes a field station
The growth and sprawl of Canberra, ACT, developed rapidly and it was in the late 1950s that artificial lights from the nearby suburbs began to impact upon the observational capacity of the Mt Stromlo Observatory. In May 1962, the final decision was made by the ANU Vice-Chancellor Leonard Huxley that Siding Spring would become the site for the field station.
First computer used at ANU
An IBM 610 computer is rented to assist in the analysis of data. It is the first computer to be used by ANU.
Mt. Stromlo Observatory joins the ANU
The Australian National University through association with the Department of Astronomy in the Research School of Physical Sciences assumes control of the Mount Stromlo Observatory from the Department of the Interior, and the name is formally changed to Mount Stromlo Observatory. Bart Bok is appointed Director of the Observatory, and Head of the ANU Department of Astronomy.
New telescopes in operation
The 26-inch Yale-Columbia Telescope and Stromlo's largest telescope, the 74-inch reflector, commences operation. In conjunction with the University of Uppsala in Sweden, the Uppsala Schmidt telescope is erected at Mt Stromlo.
Bushfire attacks Mt Stromlo
In February, a bushfire attacks Mt Stromlo, workshops and part of the Commonwealth Solar Observatory (CSO) building are destroyed.
Commonwealth Time Service and the Great Melbourne Telescope acquired
The Observatory begins the construction of the dome for the Great Melbourne Telescope. Director Woolley shifts the focus from solar to stellar astronomy. He begins negotiations to acquire more suitable telescopes.
Impact of the Second World War on Mt Stromlo Observatory
The Second World War dramatically changes the role of the observatory. The Commonwealth Solar Observatory operates Optical Munitions Factory, designing and manufacturing gun-sights and other equipment to aid the war effort. The Observatory swells in size - a number of new workshops are constructed, and the staff numbers grow from 10 to 70.
Heliostat (Sun Telescope) completed
The Heliostat (Sun Telescope) is completed. Telescope is used by Clabon Allen in analysing stellar spectra and developing Solar Atlas.
Mount Stromlo director commemorated
W.G. Duffield is struck with influenza and dies on 1 August at Stromlo. He is buried on the ridge, beyond the Oddie telescope. Bill Rimmer is appointed Officer-in-charge.
The 30" Reynolds Telescope is completed, becoming Stromlo's first reflecting telescope, and the largest operational telescope in the southern hemisphere.
Construction of the Director's residence
The Director's residence is completed, and the Duffield family moves in.
Observatory staff relocate to Mt Stromlo as the residential buildings are completed.
Main CSO building completed
The main Commonwealth Solar Observatory (CSO) building is completed. The astronomers begin moving equipment from the Observatory's temporary housing within the Hotel Canberra.
Commonwealth Solar Observatory established
The Federal Government confirms the establishment of Mt Stromlo as the Commonwealth Solar Observatory (CSO). Duffield is appointed as the CSO's first director. The original interests of the CSO were focussed on solar and atmospheric physics.
Stromlo's first residents
Meteorological observer J.C Cotterill and his family move into the Oddie Dome in 1920, becoming Stromlo's first permanent residents.
First World War
The First World War hinders the development of the Mount Stromlo Observatory.
Agreement to establish Mt Stromlo as the Commonwealth Observatory
In 1913, following test observations, Government Astronomer Pietro Baracchi praises the conditions of the site, and the federal government provides an 'in principle' agreement to establish Mt Stromlo as the Commonwealth Observatory.
The Oddie Dome
In 1911, the first observatory building is constructed to test the suitability of the Mt Stromlo site. The Oddie Dome is the first Federal building to be constructed in the ACT.
Mt Stromlo as potentially suitable site
With support from the Commonwealth Government, Mt Stromlo is tentatively chosen as a potentially suitable site for an Observatory.
Plan to establish a solar observatory in Australia
Walter Geoffrey Duffield first identifies the opportunity for an Australian solar observatory in 1905. In 1908 he returns from his studies in England and a 'Solar Research' conference in Oxford with the plan to establish a solar observatory in Australia.
Following European settlement in Australia, the area of the Acton Campus was largely transformed by heavy pastoralisation from the 1820s, with two properties - Springbank and Acton, occupying the site. Livestock and cropping markedly changed the open grassland character of the site, and the first modern buildings appeared in the area in the form of homesteads and pastoral outbuildings.