The award will be available each year to a prospective or continuing student who is:
- a domestic or international student
- enrolled or enrolling full-time in a program of study for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the Research School of Social Sciences at the Australian National University; and
- has been awarded an Australian Postgraduate Award.
Subsequent award payments are dependent on satisfactory achievement of the following PhD milestones (or their equivalent):
- Annual Plan (due at 6 months after commencement);
- Annual Plan and Report (due 1 year after commencement); and
- Thesis Proposal Review (due 9-12 months after commencement).