Australian Veterans' Children Assistance Trust

This financial support is not administered by the University.


The Australian Veterans' Children Assistance Trust is a national independent charity helping the children and grandchildren of ex-service men and women to a better future through tertiary education. Through the generous support of the Australian Government Department of Veterans' Affairs, ex-service organisations, corporate sponsors and private donors, we provide scholarships which assist recipients to obtain the tertiary qualification they need for their chosen career.


To be eligible to apply for AVCAT scholarship you must:

  • have Australian residency
  • be the child or grandchild of a person with operational service (as defined by the legislation) or three or more years continuous full-time other service, as a member of the Australian Navy, Army or Air Force
  • be planning to enrol or be enrolled in tertiary education in Australia at an Australian university, TAFE or registered training organisation in 2018
  • be studying or planning to study full-time on-line or face-to-face
  • be receiving, or be eligible to receive, Centrelink Youth Allowance or an equivalent educational payment
  • be under the age of 25 (except for exceptional circumstances)


Selectors look for three things when deciding who to select each year. These things are:

  • Which of our candidates have the academic ability and drive to complete their course?
  • Which of our candidates are most limited by their financial circumstances?
  • How do candidates' personal circumstances impact on their studies?


Scholarships are valued between $3000 and $5000 per year and are paid to students in monthly instalments from March to December.

How to apply

Applications are available from the AVCAT website on the day applications open.

It is advisable to start preparing your documents before applications open as this can take a lot of time. Some of the documents that you can prepare in advance include:

  • A copy of your full birth certificate
  • A copy of an official document showing the veterans' operational service and/or the period of continuous full-time service as a member of the Australian Navy, Army or Airforce (eg. Discharge certificate, Certificate of Service)
  • A copy of your academic results for the last 18 months. For current Year 12 students - this will be your school report and results. For current tertiary students - this will be a transcript or results.
  • An up-to-date resume
  • References/prizes/award certificates (no more than 4 documents and less than 2 years old)