To give you the best possible start to your tertiary education, ANU strongly advises that new students arrive and enrol 1-2 weeks before Orientation week (O-week), which is held the week before the start of semester one and semester two. Attending O-week events will help you prepare for study as you will receive important information about your academic college, support services, visa requirements, program and course advice and academic skills development. International students also need to open an Australian bank account, familiarise yourself with the health care system and organise everything you need to make your new accommodation feel like home. It's important to arrive before O-week and give yourself enough time to do all this. If you arrive after O-week you will need to complete the Checklist for international students, including those who will miss Orientation Week.
Note: Students must arrive on campus to commence, no later than the Wednesday two weeks after Orientation week. Check the Orientation week dates here. Any students unable to make that deadline should defer to the following semester.
The Orientation week program will cover information from the following areas. It is recommended that students attend Orientation week to get the best start to your university experience.
- Academic Skills and Learning Centre: Offers ANU students of all levels free and confidential help with their academic work through individual tutorials, workshops, courses and handouts. Their aim is to assist students to develop their academic, critical thinking and communication strategies.
- Access and Inclusion: Access and Inclusion assists students with a disability to participate fully in their program of study by providing advice, supports and adjustments that minimise the impact of disability in education. Students are required to register with Access and Inclusion before services can be provided.
- Accommodation Services: Information about ANU residential communities or alternative accommodation options.
- ASQO: Provides domestic and international students with advice on ANU student related International Student Visas, policy and rules.
- Counselling Centre: Provides free and confidential counselling service to all current ANU students and staff.
- Student Central: For all your domestic and international student enquiries.
- Student Experience and Career Development team: Ask questions about the Orientation week program and what you need to know to get the best start at ANU.
You can access the Undergraduate Orientation Handbook for some useful information.
You can access the Postgraduate Orientation Handbook for some useful information.
Watch recordings from Orientation week information sessions
Recordings of the Orientation week induction sessions are available to watch via the ANU Student Experience and Career Development channel.