In October 2004 ANU became a member of the national network of Elite athlete friendly universities by signing an agreement with the Australian Sports Commission and the ACT Academy of Sports. We aim to identify elite athletes and assist them in the development of skills to help them successfully balance their sporting and academic aspirations.
An elite athlete is defined as someone who competes nationally or internationally in a sport approved by the ANU. The majority of elite athletes within Australia will be on scholarship within the Australian Institute of Sport or the network of institutes and academies of sport. However, there are many athletes that may fall outside of this cohort. Students who don't meet the criteria may still submit an application and be considered as an elite athlete. Applications may be considered for graduate students and will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
As a current ANU student, you should identify as an elite athlete in order to be granted flexible study options, as the University will be made aware of your significant commitments outside of your study.
We will endeavour to assist elite athlete students to meet the requirements of their degree. Where necessary and possible the University will accommodate the elite athlete student's outside commitments. Some of the ways this might be achieved are:
- Assistance with academic planning and tailoring a study load to integrate with sporting commitments.
- Assistance in negotiating lecture, tutorial and practical timetables to accommodate sporting commitments.
- Provide support in negotiating and securing cross-institutional study.
- Flexibility with assessment deadlines based on sporting related travel commitments.
- Possibility of deferred exams or allowing the sitting of exams externally under exam conditions, within the athlete's environment while travelling.
- Attendance flexibility - the Elite Athlete Program Coordinator can discuss with you how best to negotiate alternatives for attendance if you are likely to miss a significant amount of class time.
- Consideration of credit achieved at interstate universities.
To be considered an elite athlete by ANU, a student must be identified and recognised as an elite athlete by one of the following organisations:
- Australian Institute of Sport
- State Institutes or Academies of Sport
- AFL Players' Association
- Australian Cricketers' Association
- Rugby Union Players' Association
- Rugby League Professionals' Association
- Australian Professional Footballers' Association
- National senior squad members from Australian Sports Commission supported sports
How to apply
Enrolled ANU students wishing to be considered for eligibility must complete the application form, and provide a statement from their sporting organisation and coach (if the coach is not affiliated with the sporting organisation) verifying the student will be competing at National or International level in the current calendar year, and that they support their application of Elite Status at the ANU. This must be provided each year the student wishes to re-apply for elite athlete status.
Documentation that demonstrates your status as an elite athlete, including personal statement, should be emailed and marked to the attention of the Elite Athlete Coordinator.