Same day counselling appointments are available to ANU students every weekday at the ANU Counselling Centre.
If you are on program leave or your enrolment has lapsed, you can contact us or check with your doctor for information on alternative options for counselling support.
Appointments are available between 9am-5pm weekdays (closed Public Holidays and from 1-2pm daily for lunch).
The Counselling Centre offers two kinds of appointments to students.
Standard appointments (50mins)
These appointments are longer in duration to allow for thorough and tailored counselling support for each student. This allows time for the counsellor to hear about the issue you wish to address and to explore options for support.
To book a standard session you can:
- Visit the Centre which is located immediately above the ANU Health Service on North Rd (Building 18, near ANU Sport and the Bridge).
- Telephone on 6125 2442 (ext 52442).
During the quiet part of term it is sometimes possible to make an appointment for a standard session within a week, however please note, during peak times of year there may be a longer waiting period of several weeks for this appointment type.
Same day appointments (25mins)
Each day we have short appointments available which can only be booked on the day of the appointment. This can be a good way for you to initially access counselling or if your concern cannot wait for a standard appointment booking. Due to the shorter duration, it is best if these appointments focus on one or two main issues so your counsellor can best assist you in this brief period. If further support is required, a standard appointment or additional resources can be arranged for follow-up.
To book a short or same day appointment, students can:
- Call us on 6125 2442 from 9am.
- Attend the centre on the day. The best way to secure a 'same day' appointment is to attend the Centre from 8.55am.
- Please note, due to high demand, the same day appointments often fill quickly at the end of semester and during the exam period. We encourage you to try again another day should you miss out on the first attempt, and please advise our staff if you experience repeated issues obtaining an appointment.
Please refer to While waiting document for strategies for managing your situation that you could try while waiting for your counselling session.
Access & communication
Please notify our staff at the time of booking if you have particular access, mobility, communication, or other needs. Our service has access to the national Translation and Interpreting Service if needed, but bookings for this typically need to be arranged by our centre in advance to coincide with your appointment time.
Our wait lists
We are keen to provide you and other students with access to counselling without waiting several weeks.
- We provide short term counselling, usually limited to a maximum of six sessions per student each semester (including standard and short appointments).
- We provide a number of short appointments that can only be booked on the same day, to ensure regular availability of appointments.
- We offer a variety of supportive group programs, lunchtime seminars and our informative website which you can access between sessions.
- We ask you to notify us ASAP if you cannot attend a scheduled appointment so this time can be offered to someone who is waiting.