The ANU Student Ambassador Program is a great opportunity for current students to be involved in the promotion of ANU and sharing their experiences with prospective students and the community. Current students will be able to pass on their knowledge, insight and enthusiasm on what it is like to be a university student at ANU.
Student ambassadors are selected to represent ANU at recruitment events and activities in Australia. This includes Campus Tours, College/High School Visits, Career Exhibitions as well as ANU events such as Advisory Days and Open Day.
As a student ambassador you will share your knowledge and experience of ANU with prospective students and the community. You will assist in sharing your experience of:
- Degree programs
- On campus facilities and resources
- Student Services
- Insight to living in Canberra
Set working hours each week cannot be guaranteed; however as a guide of annual demand and your availability you could be booked in for:
A major part of the ANU Student Ambassador Program is the delivery of campus tours. ANU welcomes visits from people around Australia and the world and campus tours are ideal for people who want to find out more about our programs, facilities and see what the campus looks like. Tours are available Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
Student ambassadors act as campus tour guides and are responsible for leading tours for a diverse range of visitors, including prospective students and their families and school and special interest groups.
Student ambassadors are the public face of the University. Being an ambassador is more than just giving tours to campus visitors, ambassadors are advocates for the University who enjoy sharing their experiences with campus visitors. By sharing information about the history and the culture of the campus as well as personal experiences as a student, ambassadors help people to get to know ANU. One main opportunity for prospective students and their families to gain knowledge about a university is through campus tours; as such, student ambassadors play an instrumental role in helping prospective students decide on a university.
1 - 3 per year - note some events will be outside of business hours and on some occasions you will be required to travel interstate with a member of ANU recruitment staff. Examples include career exhibitions, advisory days and Open Day.
Student ambassadors are employed as an ongoing casual ANU Officer level 2, step 1. See the information on remuneration rates.
As a student ambassador, you will gain transferable work experience skills and recognition for your contribution to the next generation of students. You will:
- gain valuable work experience in public speaking, interpersonal skills, teamwork and organisational ability
- opportunity for ongoing training and support by ANU
- assist at recruitment events and activities.
The application process
Recruitment into the ANU Student Ambassador Program is reviewed on an annual basis. Applications have now open for 2019 cohort. To apply, please click here.
Closing date is Sunday 21st October 2018.
Candidates will be assessed based on the quality of their initial online application (which includes some short response questions, a 250 word passion piece and a curriculum vitae), their academic performance and background, as well as their performance during an interview.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- be eligible to work in Australia with evidence of a valid working visa
- be enrolled in a program at ANU; both undergraduate and postgraduate students are welcome
- be in a good academic standing
- have successfully completed the first year of study (at undergraduate level) or first semester of study (at postgraduate level)
- commit to the program for at least an entire academic year.
This position will require general registration of Working with Vulnerable people (background check). It is expected successful applicants will be registered within 4 weeks of hire date.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate the following qualities:
- customer service skills
- ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- have good problem solving skills and the ability to exercise initiative and sound judgement
- well-developed interpersonal skills
- available to participate in educational training and activities
- willingness to travel
- willingness to supply a testimonial, profile and passion pieces for use on promotional materials.
For further details please contact the Student Recruitment Office.