The Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship is an exciting initiative of the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation, which aims to help future generations of Australian leaders forge stronger ties with Asia. This visionary program commemorates Westpac's 200th anniversary in 2017.
The scholarship enables ANU undergraduate students to spend a semester studying at leading ujniversities in China, Hong Kong or Singapore. As a scholar, you would have the freedom to 'Build your own adventure', with activities to enhance the exchange experience outside the classroom such as an internship, short work experience volunteering or an intensive language course. The scholarship is only available for exchanges in "Semester Two" of each year.
The Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship provides the following benefits:
- Build your own adventure with the freedom and flexibility to individualise your exchange and enhance your experience.
- A 10-month bespoke Leadership Development Program. This will further develop your key employability skills for a globalised world.
- Become a member of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network, growing by 100 scholars each year, forever.
- Attend the Westpac Scholars' Summit, an annual event that brings together Westpac Scholars from across all five scholarship programs.
- When arriving in your host city, attend a Westpac Welcome Event and meet those in the local office and your Westpac Buddies.
Students are invited to attend an information session held each year in October. Please visit ANU Global Programs Facebook for when the information session is held.
Scholarship applicants must :
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree program at ANU and have completed a minimum of 48 units of your undergraduate (single or double) degree.
- Be enrolled in second year or beyond when commencing their exchange.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.0.
- Not hold or intend to hold another merit based scholarship for the purpose of tertiary study in Asia.
- Must be applying for exchange at ANU for "Semester Two" of the following year.
- Be eligible for or have received approval to undertake a semester long exchange program at one of the following locations:
- Beijing: Tsinghua University, Peking University, Beijing Institute of Technology.
- Shanghai and surround: Fudan University, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Zhejiang University, Nanjing University.
- Hong Kong: University of Hong Kong, Chinese University of Hong Kong, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
- Singapore: National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore Management University.
Applications for exchange and the scholarship starts a year before the intended exchangesemester.
Students should 1) apply for the Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship to Westpac and 2) apply for exchange to ANU.
Application to ANU for "Semester Two" exchanges (for the following year) open 1 September and close 30 November each year.
Application to Westpac Asian Exchange scholarship are open in July and close in December of each year.
Once applications close for the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation, they will contact the candidates to complete a video interview. The Westpac Bicentennial Foundation will convene selection panels to determine successful candidates.
Up to 7 scholarships may be awarded for exchanges in "Semester Two" of each year. Students who have applied for the Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship will be notified by late February the following year, of the outcome of their scholarship application.
The student will then go on exchange in "Semester Two".
For more information, including Scholarship Guidelines, visit westpac.com.au/200years.
Westpac Asian Exchange Scholars will demonstrate the following:
- A clear understanding of Asia's role in Australia's future prosperity.
- A passion to learn about a specific Asian culture, language, tradition or business through a combination of academic study and cultural immersion.
- The potential and ambition to contribute to strengthening Australia-Asia in their future endeavours.
- A genuine desire to be an active member of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network.
Students who have applied for the Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship will be notified by Westpac by late February of the outcome of their scholarship application.
Students will also find out the outcome of their exchange application from ANU Global Programs in February.
If you have any enquiries please contact the ANU Global Programs.