The Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship is an exciting initiative of the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation, which aims to help future generations of Australian leaders forge stronger ties with Asia.
The scholarship enables ANU undergraduate students to spend a semester studying at one of twelve leading Chinese, Hong Kong or Singaporean universities. As a scholar, you would have the freedom to 'Build your own adventure', with activities to enhance the exchange experience outside the classroom such as an internship, short work experience volunteering or an intensive language course.
This visionary program commemorates Westpac's 200th anniversary in 2017.
The Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship provides the following benefits:
- Build your own adventure with the freedom and flexibility to individualise your exchange and enhance your experience.
- A 10-month bespoke Leadership Development Program. This will further develop your key employability skills for a globalised world.
- Become a member of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network, growing by 100 scholars each year, forever.
- Attend the Westpac Scholars' Summit, an annual event that brings together Westpac Scholars from across all five scholarship programs.
- When arriving in your host city, attend a Westpac Welcome Event and meet those in the local office and your Westpac Buddies.
Scholarship applicants must :
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree program at ANU and have completed a minimum of 48 units of your undergraduate (single or double) degree.
- Be enrolled in second year or beyond when commencing their exchange.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.0.
- Not hold or intend to hold another merit based scholarship for the purpose of tertiary study in Asia.
- Be eligible for or have received approval to undertake a semester long exchange program at one of the following eleven institutions:
- Beijing: Tsinghua University, Peking University, Beijing Institute of Technology.
- Shanghai: Fudan University and Shanghai Jiaotong University.
- Hong Kong: University of Hong Kong, Chinese University of Hong Kong, City University of Hong Kong.
- Singapore: National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore Management University.
Applications are now open and close midnight (AEST) 15 January 2017.
In conjunction with applying for the Westpac scholarship, a separate application for exchange must be submitted by 30 November 2016.
Once applications close, the Australian National University will provide a shortlist to the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation. Then shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a video interview. The Westpac Bicentennial Foundation will convene selection panels to determine successful candidates.
Up to 5 scholarships will be awarded for exchange in semester 2 2017. Students who have applied for the Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship will be notified by late February 2017 of the outcome of their application.
For more information, including Scholarship Guidelines, visit westpac.com.au/200years.
Westpac Asian Exchange Scholars will demonstrate the following:
- A clear understanding of Asia's role in Australia's future prosperity.
- A passion to learn about a specific Asian culture, language, tradition or business through a combination of academic study and cultural immersion.
- The potential and ambition to contribute to strengthening Australia-Asia in their future endeavours.
- A genuine desire to be an active member of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network.
Students who have applied for the Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship will be notified by late February 2017 of the outcome of their application.
If you have any enquiries please contact the ANU Global Programs.