References on Fire and Australian Aborigines
Compiled by David Nash
- Allan, G.E. 1984. Criteria for the remote sensing of bushfire history,
current fuel load and fire behaviour in central Australia, pp.275-280 in
[proceedings of] Third Australian Remote Sensing Conference, Queensland,
1984.Allan, Grant E. & Graham F. Griffin. 1986. Fire ecology of the hummock
grasslands of central Australia, pp.126-129 in Proceedings of the 4th
Australian Rangeland Society Conference. Armidale, NSW. August 24-27,
- Brandl, M. 1976. Fire and the Australian Aborigines. Fox (ed.)
- Bunk, Steve. 1988. Science begins to quench the burning
question. Territory Digest (September 1988),24-26.
- Catling, P.C. & A.E. Newsome. 1981. Responses of the Australian
vertebrate fauna to fire: an evolutionary approach. Gill, Groves & Noble
(eds.) 1981:273-310. [p.284 Mala]
- Cleland, John Burton. 1907 Notes on the resistance of the vegetation of
Australia to bushfires, and the antiquity of the Australian
Aboriginal. Linnean Society of New South Wales -- Proceedings
32.3,554-555. (Peculiarities rendering resistance of vegetation to fire
; Adaptation to arid conditions ; Grounds for attributing considerable
antiquity to the presence of fire-producing man)
- de Graaf, M. 1976. Aboriginal use of fire. Fox (ed.) 1976:14-20.
- Fox, R.E. (ed.) 1976. Report on the Use of Fire in National Parks and
Reserves. Darwin: Department of the Northern Territory.
- Frith, H.J. 1973. Wildlife Conservation. Australian Natural
Science Library. Angus & Robertson.
- Gill, A.M., R.H. Groves & I.R. Noble (eds.) 1981. Fire and the
Australian Biota. Canberra: Australian Academy of Science.
- Gould, R.A. 1971. Uses and effects of fire among the Western Desert
Aborigines of Australia. Mankind 8:14-24.
- Griffin, G.F. 1981. The role of fire in arid lands. In
Bushfires--their Effect on Australian Life and Landscape, ed. by P. Stanbury. Sydney: The Macleay Museum, University of Sydney.
- Griffin, G.F., N.F. Price & H.F. Portlock. 1983. Wildfires in the
central Australian rangelands 1970-1980. Journal of Environmental
- Griffin, G.F. 1984. Hummock grasslands. In Management of Australian
Rangelands, ed. by G.N. Harrington, A.D. Wilson and
M.D. Young. Melbourne: CSIRO.
- Griffin, G.F. & M.H. Friedel. 1985. Discontinuous change in central
Australia: some implications of major ecological events. Journal of Arid
- Griffin, Graham F. & Allan, Grant E. 1986. Fire and the management of
Aboriginal owned lands in central Australia. In Science and Technology
for Aboriginal Development, ed. by Barney D. Foran & Bruce Walker.
Alice Springs: CSIRO and Centre for Appropriate Technology. ISBN 0 643 04129 X
(CSIRO) ISBN 0 9590953 1 4 (C.A.T.) [unpaginated] Proceedings of TAGAL
workshop, Alice Springs, 8-10 October 1985.
- Griffin, G.F., S.R. Morton, G.E. Allan and M.R. Fleming. 1987. Fire-created
patch-dynamics for conservation management in the hummock grasslands of central
Australia. 10+6pp. offprint from Proc. International Grasslands Symposium,
- Hallam, S.J. 1975. Fire and Hearth. Canberra: A.I.A.S.
- Head, Lesley. 1989. Prehistoric Aboriginal impacts on Australian
vegetation: an assessment of the evidence. Australian Geographer
20(1) (May 1989),37-46.
- Hetzel, Basil S. & H.J. Frith. 1978. The Nutrition of Aborigines in
Relation to the Ecosystem of Central Australia. Papers presented at a Symposium
CSIRO 23-26 October 1976 Canberra. [viii]+150pp. Melbourne: CSIRO.
- Hodgkinson, K.C. & G.F. Griffin. 1982. Adaptation of shrub species to
fires in the arid zone. In Evolution of the Flora and Fauna of Arid
Australia, ed. by W.R. Barker & P.J.M. Greenslade. Adelaide: Peacock
- Hodgkinson, Ken C. 1983. Influence of fire on arid land vegetation and some
implications for management. Messer & Mosley 1983:47-49
- Jones, R. 1969. Fire-stick farming. Aust. Nat. Hist.
- Kimber, R.G. 1983. Black Lightning: Aborigines and Fire in Central
Australia and the Western Desert. Archaeol. Oceania 18:38-45
- Latz, P.K. & G.F. Griffin 1978. Changes in Aboriginal land management
in relation to fire and to food plants in central Australia. Hetzel &
- Latz, P.K. 1982. Bushfires and bushtucker : Aborigines and plants in
central Australia. iv+pp. M.A. (Hons.) Thesis, University of New England,
- Latz, P.K. 1983. The ecological implications of current trends in the use
of Aboriginal-controlled arid lands. Messer & Mosley 1983:163-4.
- Loorham, Chris. 1985. The Warlpiri and the rufous hare-wallaby : Aboriginal
land rights and wildlife conservation in the Tanami
Desert. Habitat (Australia) 13.4(August 1985),8-9.
- Luke, R.H. & A.G. McArthur. 1986 . Bushfires in
Australia. Dept Primary Industry. Forestry and Timber Bureau. CSIRO
Division of Forest Research. ISBN 0 642 02341 7 Reprinted with corrections
1986. xii+359pp. Canberra: AGPS.
- Macfarlane, W.V. 1978. Aboriginal desert hunter/gatherers in transition.
Hetzel & Frith 1978:49-62.
- Messer, John & Geoff Mosley. (eds.) 1983. What Future for
Australia's Arid Lands? Proceedings of the National Arid Lands
Conference, Broken Hill, New South Wales, May 21-25, 1982. ISBN 0 85802 074 2
$15 Hawthorn, Vic.: Australian Conservation Foundation.
- Nicholson, Phyllis H. 1981. Fire and the Australian Aborigine--an enigma, Chapter 3, pp.55-76 in Fire and the Australian Biota, ed. by A.M. Gill, R.H. Groves & I.R. Noble. Canberra: Australian Academy of Science.
- Peterson, Nicolas. . Buluwandi: a Central
Australian ceremony for the resolution of conflict. In
Australian Aboriginal anthropology: modern studies in the social
anthropology of the Australian Aborigines, ed. by Ronald Murray
Berndt. [xiv]+341pp. [Nedlands]: Published for the AIAS by the
University of Western Australia Press. * Papers presented at Social
Anthropology symposium during A.I.A.S. General Meeting, Canberra, May
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1977. Aboriginal uses of Australian Solanaceae, in
The Biology and Taxonomy of the Solanaceae, ed. by
J. Hawkes. London: Academic Press. Paper delivered at conference on Biology
and Taxonomy of the Solanaceae, Birmingham, 13-17 July
1976. [27pp. mimeo.]
- Peterson, Nicolas. 1978. The traditional pattern of subsistence to
1975. Hetzel & Frith 1978:25-35.
- Ralph, Wayne. [1983?] Fire in the Centre. Ecos pp.3-10
7 July 1988
Date created: 16 March 1998
Last modified: 16 March 1998
\251 1998 David Nash
Maintained by: David Nash