A short course in drawing
Apply flair and style with confidence as you learn to draw more accurately in this timeless and fundamental art form. Discover a range of concepts including negative space drawing and relative measure, as well as techniques using pencils, charcoal, and inks.
|John Vance||20 July||Thursday||6.30-9.30pm||5||$330||Class full|
Lessons shall cover the following as needed:
- Topic 1: General introductory exercises - learn important technical information and some frequently asked questions while moving on to negative space drawing exercises.
- Topic 2: Still life drawing - you will learn reverse image drawing and simple object drawing using relative measures, negative space and asymmetric connections
- Topic 3: Still life drawing - you will be introduced to drawing shapes through and charcoal techniques
- Topic 4: Drawing the landscape - the focus will be on learning and practising tonal drawing through exercises
- Topic 5: Life drawing - you will be introduced to life drawing while focussing on negative space and relative measures
- Topic 6: Portrait drawing - you will learn about portrait drawing including over-size drawing techniques using compressed and willow charcoal.
At the end of this course, students should:
- understand key technical aspects of drawing including: negative space, relative measure, asymmetrical point connections, drawing size ratios, composition and quality of line
- understand and use thinking techniques relevant to drawing including: drawing from a specific point and relating the rest of the drawing proportionally to this point, looking for what is 'unfamiliar and distinctive' in the subject, and using this as the starting point, understanding what 'flow' is and how to get it, and using time wisely in relation to your subject and your drawing
- learn to appreciate and understand key moments in art from the 19th and 20th Cs including: famous artists and their techniques from this period and the different ideas represented by different artistic movements from this period.
Who should enrol
This course is open to anyone at any level who want to lean to draw or improve their drawing skills, particularly with regard to accuracy.
All materials for class will be provided.