Beginning Arabic 1
Discover Arabic—the official language of 23 countries and spoken by more than 280 million people world–wide.
|Rafa Majan||11 October||Wednesday||6-8pm||9||$335||Enrolments closed|
- Topic 1: A focus on letters of the alphabet, in particular those in Group 1 - ba, ta, tha, nun and ya. Introduction to the vowels fatha, kasra and damma. Learning how to greet others and introduce yourself.
- Topic 2: Learning of Group 2 alphabet including alif, dal, dhal, ra, zay and waw (one-way connectors). Handwriting practice and vocabulary will also be a focus.
- Topic 3: Focus on the letters: jim, kha, ha', ha and mim. You will also learn about family, feminine words and long vowels.
- Topic 4: The letters sin, shin, sad and dad will be the main focus. You will then learn about jobs, masculine singular, feminine singular and dual words before starting work on conversations.
- Topic 5: Revision of unit 1-4.
- Topic 6: You will focus on the letters fa, qaf, kaf and lam and then focus on describing things and possessive endings, definite and indefinite nouns as well as demonstrative nouns.
- Topic 7: The letters ta, ayn, ghayn will be a focus as well as joining letters, sun letters and handwriting.
- Topic 8: You will learn how to ask questions, such as 'where is it?'. There will also be a focus on adjectives and describing places.
- Topic 9: Revision and learning about Arabic countries and people will be the main focus.
By the end of the course, you should be able to::
- learn the basics of the language including numbers 1-10, greetings, meeting people and gender addressing
- understand basic elements of Arabic writing and reading simple words.
Who should enrol
This course assumes no prior knowledge of Arabic and is suited to the traveller or anyone looking to enjoy Arabic literature.